Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - hgl

Hi!

My problem seems to be in the loss of power on rear window defroster. At first thought that some of the wires have broken somehow, but seems that the issue could be caused instead lower power getting to the rear window. So it should be rather around 12V but is as said a bit over 1V if measured between power and ground connectors. Could anyone know where to look the problem? Seems that switch and relay are in good condition as opened they up and had nothing wrong with them. Could this be caused by burned wire connector? If so, does anyone know the diagram for f 205 wires to backtrack the issue from the fusebox?

Thanks

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - Andrew-T

Assuming your car is post-1988, the rear screen heater shares fuse 8 with the horn(s). Is the horn OK ?

I guess the most likely fault will be the earth connection at the rear of the car?

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/01/2015 at 17:58

Yes, mate, it's 89. Got that ground worked out and now there is 12+V between the connectors. You wouldn't happen to know how to troubleshoot the broken heating wires? I've tried with a test lamp but it's always shining like christmas lights in December. Although i can see while it's cold outside that only four wires from approx 15 start melting the frost.

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - Peter.N.

Check the voltage on the switch and relay, if you have 12 volts there you have a wiring problem somewhere. You need 12v in and out of the relay.

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - elekie&a/c doctor

If only 4 out of 15 wires are heating,then surely the glass elements are faulty?

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - Andrew-T

If only 4 out of 15 wires are heating, then surely the glass elements are faulty?

The elements were easily damaged by things like finger-rings against the tailgate glass (inside). It used to be possible to buy a small pot of conductive paint to bridge the gaps, once you can spot them. It's usually not difficult in a good light.

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - dieselnut

Conductive paint is available from Maplin as below :-

www.maplin.co.uk/p/electrically-conductive-silver-...a

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - Railroad.
I've used electro-conductive paint many times, and had partial success with it. Heated rear screen failures are usually caused by the driver failing to switch it off once the screen has cleared. The screen elements then get too hot on the dry screen and eventually break.
If the break is small then you can often repair it with the paint, but make sure you wait an hour or so until the paint has completely hardened before you switch the HRW on otherwise your repair will not hold.
If the break in the element is too large then a paint repair will be impossible. A replacement screen will be required.

I thought so too that gaps have to be in the wires, but not able to find them. Tried even so that disconnected ground part from froster and had test light to test if light goes on but with no luck. Anybody have experience how to locate gaps in wires?

Peugeot 205 - Rear window defroster power around 1+V - Railroad.
Yes many times. Connect your test lamp earth clip to a good earth. Switch on the HRW and touch the probe onto the terminal at one end and then the other to establish which end is the 12v supply. Having determined which end is the supply follow very gently each element in turn with your probe. The lamp should get dimmer as you go, but when it goes out you have located the break.