Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - Fleabie36

my friend took my 2001 corsa to ats euromaster and ended up having new brake shoes and handbrake cable altered. I have no receipt showing what has actually been done or replaced, only the mot and cost me £100 plus £25 for the mot. When I looked at work I had done previously, in the last year I had new front brake pads, in the last 8 months rear shoes and last 4 months rear pads and in the last 1 1/2 years both new handbrake cables. I feel like I've been ripped off. Have I?

Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - elekie&a/c doctor

Probably.Rear brake shoes don't wear out in 8 months.I would guess all it needed was adjustment to the handbrake system/brakes.With no evidence to support what work has been done,it would be difficult to go any further.

Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - Fleabie36

There has been a development after telephoning the garage, turns out they have reduced my bill to £60 after informing them of work completed in the last 10 months. Spoke to 2 different people, one who carried out the works and the guy in charge, both sounded like they were covering each other's backs, let's see if I get a receipt after all.??

Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - stuartl

I would never go near any of these fast-fit type places for so much as a puncture repair. Their 'fitter's' payment structure has always been largely commission based so of course they will tell you that you need stuff that you dont really need. When challenged they often back down knowing that they have gone out to rip you off, however they obviously get away with enough conning of customers to be able to afford the odd one here and there.

Avoid these places like the plague and use a local garage that has a good reputation

Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - stuartl

Also that MOT charge is around half the recommended test fee and designed to reel in customers and sell them unnecessary things. Sound familiar? :(

Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - Fernando P

There is no such thing as a half price MOT!

Vauxhall Corsa c - have i paid for work unecessarily? - bathtub tom

I'd suggest you tell them you're going for an independant assessment of the work carried out.

Wouldn't be surprised if they waive all charge when they realise they'd be responsible for the cost of the assessment, if proved they over-charged you.

Please let us know wat happens.

Edited by bathtub tom on 22/01/2015 at 23:37