Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - oldtub

Hi guys please can anybody help?

I have a back injury, so it is paramount to me that I have a soft comfortable ride in my old car, a Toyota corolla.

I have replaced the original leaking shocks, with KYB excel shocks, which I was told are the original equipment, but sadly the ride is now very hard and choppy, my lovely old comfortable car is ruined and the soft ride has gone.

Could you please suggest any brands / models of shocks that have soft and comfortable

Ride characteristics?

Would really appreciate any help so that I can drive again.

Big thank you.

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - Peter.N.

If you don't have any sucess with the shocks, consider a C5, they have hydropnumatic suspension and you can get one for around £500, the diesel will do over 50mpg and the tax is cheap.

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - superad

I think its probably just that the old ones were so worn. I had mine changed on my vectra and the ride is so much firmer. I know it doesn't help you but this is probably the case.

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - gordonbennet

Didn't Spax used to make adjustable shocks, i haven't a clue if they're still available, the current trend seems to be geared towards more or less solid suspension.

Delphi/Monroe would be on my shopping list as reasonable quality aftermarket.

Would have expected Toyota branded parts to be as good as any, but when the shocks were fitted some clot hasn't taken into their mind to shove an extra 6 psi in your tyres have they?

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/01/2015 at 21:19

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - jc2

Didn't Spax used to make adjustable shocks, i haven't a clue if they're still available, the current trend seems to be geared towards more or less solid suspension.

Delphi/Monroe would be on my shopping list as reasonable quality aftermarket.

Would have expected Toyota branded parts to be as good as any, but when the shocks were fitted some clot hasn't taken into their mind to shove an extra 6 psi in your tyres have they?

And Koni.

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - oldtub

Thanks for all your comments,

I think I will give monroe shocks a go, I have had a few people say they are comfortable compared with kyb.

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - Wolfan

Try to get O.E. shocks, ask a main agent. My father's mk11 Cavalier (owned from new) was fitted with Monroe shocks at about 40,000 miles because he was wrongly told by an independant garage that the originals were too soft and worn out, the replacements destroyed the ride. When I took the car over I replaced all 4 with genuine Vauxhall parts and the ride was transformed. Previously I tried Monroe shocks on a Mk V11 Jaguar and I took them off after a 2 mile test drive.

Toyota Corolla - Help please, comfortable shocks recommendations - Corollao2
If your corolla is a e12 eg 02-07 vin will tell you shock supplier SB had Monroe eg uk built car and jt and nam have kyb from factory