Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - RazorSite

A relative of mine has recently had an eyesight test at the request of the DVLA. On going to Specsavers (the DVLA's designated optician) they failed the test but they were offered an immediate re-test albeit with a fee payable. They refused their kind offer and subsequently they lost their licence. If a person fails a test is there any point in re-testing, especially immediately? Surely Specsavers aren't going to take someone's money just to fail them again. If the re-test passes them, the result of the first test must be questionable.

Thinking about it maybe they just thought this was a sales opportunity.

A month previously my relative had their eyes tested at another well known High Street opticians and was specifically told their eyes were fine to continue driving. My relative went back there after learning their licence had been revoked. The optician there and then did a retest and said again their eyes were more than adequate to continue driving.

Needless to say both myself and my relative are pretty unhappy with Specsavers. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - RT

There's an issue there if two local opticians can't agree about the ability of someone's eyesight - that's a matter to take up with your local Clinical Commissioning Group (the old PCT), NHS England and DVLA.

On a general note, the standard of eyesight required to drive is woefully low, in my opinion - my wife is under the care of the Midland Eye Centre and has everything checked every 3-4 months, her eyesight is twice as good as the legal minimum but way inadequate to drive in practice.

If your relative's eyesight is marginal to the extent of passing at one optician and failing at another, then you need to consider whether it would be better for them to stop driving voluntarily.

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - scot22

It is difficult but I agree with RT's post. If eyesight is marginal my advice would be don't drive. Although I do have an eye condition ( see consultant every 6 months ) it does not affect my eye sight - although it may in the future we are working to prevent this happening.

If I have the slightest concern, or anything mentioned to me, then I will immediately stop driving. The responsibility of driving safely is too great.

Like you I would be very concerned about the optician and pursue that as a matter of principle.

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - Ethan Edwards

I don't disagree with any of the preceeding posts but I would add my experience with eye tests.

I see very well indeed I have one long sighted eye and one short sighted eye. What I don't have is much in the way of stereoscopic vision and therefore depth perception. Found this out later in life kind of explains why I am rubbish at catching things. Anyway I'm OK driving I wear specs. Now I wear varifocals. However in Opticians professional speaking terms my prescription is whats known as 'freekin weird man'.

This means that when I go to medicals every few years the Doctor / Nurse puts me on their little eye test machine and this promptly informs them to ask me where has my guide dog been left?

My eyesight is one of the statistically few that is not suitable for these little machines requiring a full and proper eye test every time. Cards numbers lights etc etc.

Anyway thats my story .I thought the OP might find it of interest.

Anyway be afraid you lot I drive every day! ;)

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - scot22

I'm interested to know if you feel that it affects your driving in any way - that you have to compensate for.

There are so called drivers who have perfect vision who frighten me more than anyone who can drive safely in spite of eyesight difference.

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - SlidingPillar

Given the saga of two opticians that say different things, one does have to wonder what the problem is. It is possible to pass the basic test but for example, have tunnel vision.

I'd have thought given the circumstances, the GP would be happy to write a referral to a consultant at a hospital. Whatever the situation is, I bet they've met it before and know what to advise, and if needed, what to write in a letter to DVLC. I'd not expect a quick resolution, but if someone does have a visual problem, they should be seeing the expert anyway.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 02/01/2015 at 15:52

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - Ethan Edwards

Do I feel it affects me? No not in any way I keep a pair of specs in every car i own.. The 590 quid i just spent on one pair of varifocals really hurt! My previous pair lasted 18 months as my short distance got longer. Damn age! Just wanted to say those little eye test machines do not work for a small percentage of us old geezers . Maybe Specsavers used a cheapo machine for the Government test but wanted to charge for a proper one. They are NOT the same. Why not try another optician and pay for a full proper exam ?

BTW i do 20k a year safely.so far...and thanks to my long sighted eye can read a number plate at the required distance with ease. (squint a bit) without the specs. But i always drive or ride with them. Its the blood sugar I have to watch much more these days. Aint getting old grand.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 02/01/2015 at 20:55

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - Auristocrat

I presume DVLA requested a Visual Field Test - which is quite common for people who have glaucoma.

Here is a quote from Specsavers FAQ:

The visual field test for DVLA requirements is caller the Esterman test and is done with both eyes open, so even if you have got a field defect in one eye only, it is unlucky to affect your overall visual field. Also it is possible to miss some points and still be ok as long as there is sufficient horizontall and vertical range, that is usually a little less than the normal eye can achieve. Each visual field test result is considered individually by the DVLA.

It is possible for a person to pass one of these tests within a short time of failing one and people can and do have varying results with this type of test. This is probably why Specsavers offered a re-test. DVLA will only pay for one test, which is why the second test offered would have been at your relatives cost.

Edited by Auristocrat on 02/01/2015 at 15:56

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - skidpan

I suffer from Glaucoma and Specsavers are my optition. The visual field test carried out in branch at our local Specsavers is one eye at a time which is not the test required by the DVLA which lasts much longer and is both eyes together as suggested in the post above. To fail this test your Glaucoma has to be really serious since to loose visual field in both eyes in the same area would be incredibly unlucky.

My Glaucoma only affects one eye thus according to the DVLA rules I did not need to notify them of my condition. Regardless of this I notified them and recieved a letter back confirming my condition does not affect my entotlement to carry on driving with no restrictions.

If after correction the OP's relatives eyesight is marginal enough to fail the requirements of the normal vision test surely it is better for them to cease driving than cause an accident in which they or another person could be seriously injured or worse.

On question, does the OP's relative suffer from catteracts, if they do, after surgery they will be OK to drive again.

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - Bromptonaut

Is the condition affecting OP's relative a steady one?

Fluctuating conditions are a nightmare for any type of health assesment process. Realistically, for driving, they have to assume the worst result as determinative. OTOH for purposes of say Employment Support Allowance a more liberal 'average' approach might pass muster.

Agre with opinion upthread that current standard, ability to read numberplate x at y metres is utterly inadequate. I'm shortsighted in both eyes but with one much worse than other and also have an astigmatism.

If I squint a bit I can read a numberplate without glasses at requisite distance. Driving without my glasses would frighten me to death never mind my passengers and surrounding road users.

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - RT
I'm shortsighted in both eyes but with one much worse than other and also have an astigmatism.

If I squint a bit I can read a numberplate without glasses at requisite distance. Driving without my glasses would frighten me to death never mind my passengers and surrounding road users.

If you can "just" pass the legal requirement without glasses, but you wear your glasses to correct your shortsightedness and astigmatism you probably have excellent vision.

Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - RazorSite3
Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. Its great to have so many detailed responses, thanks.

I am glad to say that although there not in the first flush of youth they accept that if there eyesight is not up to scratch they would give up.

It sounds like good advice to get there GP involved. They must have come across the situation before. Yes maybe the offered second test was a chance to retake it with a genuine chance of doing better rather than for some other suspicious reason. Apparently there was a hostile attitude shown by Specsavers at the time so that couldn't have helped. My relative doesn't suffer from Glaucoma or have Cataracts. They do suffer from dry eyes and sometimes use drops. Anyway I dont think we will let this drop.

Thanks
Ford Fiesta - Specsavers Suspension of Licence - balleballe

The visual fields program applicable to the DVLA is the Esterman.

Specsavers got the contract because they will carry out the test for less than other opticians.

With any visual fields test there is an element of 'learning' and people often do better the second time around, especially if it's immediately. I often rereat visual fields when the results look dubious as often it's down to patient error.

The current visual acuity required to be legal is very easy to attain, and in my opinion should be made more difficult.

Getting the GP involved will not do much in my experience as they dont know much with regards to the eyes and the result of the Esterman visual field will always be used over anything else