Vauxhall Vectra B - vauxhall vectra b diesel 140k 1999 engine noise - Robnobodyelsehas

Can anyone please help i have had this strange engine noise on my vectra b 1999 diesel 140k

You tube video: Watch "Vectra b diesel 99 140k" on YouTube

Vectra b diesel 99 140k: youtu.be/Ek4hz2bvIeo

Recent replacement parts: Egr valve and inlet manifold cleaned and replaced, cleaned boost pressure switch, all new filters and oil, runs well starts fine, eml on for a minute on start up then extinguishes, turbo works fine and engine revs fine noise had been there a long time but would just like to no what it could be

Please note noise seems to come from near fan belt side of engine(engine fitted with a cam chain)

Air con has not worked for a while could be compressor?

Vauxhall Vectra B - vauxhall vectra b diesel 140k 1999 engine noise - Peter.N.

Don't really know what this engine sounds like normally, the only additional noise I can hear is a noisy bearing type sound, possibly the aux belt tensioner/idler.

Vauxhall Vectra B - vauxhall vectra b diesel 140k 1999 engine noise - Robnobodyelsehas

The noise is a bit like a hissing noise or air escaping and does seem to come from the belt would this cause any damage if left?

Vauxhall Vectra B - vauxhall vectra b diesel 140k 1999 engine noise - Peter.N.

If its coming from the belt, squirting some water on it while running should quieten it, if it does fit a new belt.

Yes that worked! Didnt think of that, will try and tighten it first before money spent on a replacement belt.

Dont suppose anyone has any ideas on the engine management light coming on on startup and going out after a minute or so?

Many thanks

Vauxhall Vectra B - vauxhall vectra b diesel 140k 1999 engine noise - mss1tw

Yes that worked! Didnt think of that, will try and tighten it first before money spent on a replacement belt.

Dont suppose anyone has any ideas on the engine management light coming on on startup and going out after a minute or so?

Many thanks

Very rough guess, could be related to the post-heating system where the glow plugs stay on for a little while after starting?

Edited by mss1tw on 01/01/2015 at 11:30

Vauxhall Vectra B - vauxhall vectra b diesel 140k 1999 engine noise - mfarrow

Very rough guess, could be related to the post-heating system where the glow plugs stay on for a little while after starting?

I would think that's the most likely and most easily diagnosed problem. The ECU will also have a timer for certain faults. This will keep the lamp illuminated for longer than the fault duration.