Peugeot 308 - Timing chain problem - Dave J2
A few days ago, a warning message appeared "de pollution system faulty". As a precaution my local garage have done a code test, and apparently it is to do with the timing chain, which needs replacing.

If I continue to drive the car it could wreck the engine. I know the repair costs are not cheap.

How come the warning message did not say "Timing chain problem"' or similar? Is the depollution system faulty message meaning the timing chain is fault?
Peugeot 308 - Timing chain problem - skidpan
A few days ago, a warning message appeared "de pollution system faulty". As a precaution my local garage have done a code test, and apparently it is to do with the timing chain, which needs replacing.

You need to visit a Peugeot dealer to get the codes read by the propper kit. The generic kit used by many garages does not do the job you would expect.

Hopefully your local garage have not cleared the codes, if they have there will be nothing left to read.

Peugeot 308 - Timing chain problem - Railroad.
How would the ECM possibly know the timing chain is worn even if it was? If you stuffed a potato up the exhaust the engine wouldn't run. Would you then expect a dumb computer to give you a fault code of 'Potato Stuffed Up Exhaust?'

There are two types of fault codes. Those that relate to circuit faults, ie a short or open circuit. And those where mechanical faults are having an effect on something, and is being detected by a sensor.

Peugeot 308 - Timing chain problem - Peter.N.

The only clue you could get would be 'retarded timing' but that would be impossible for the reader to know - unless it has a 'slackness sensor' which I doubt.