Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - Chris M

My son had the windscreen of his Punto cracked by a large stone on Friday. He called his insurer's windscreen claim line (Nationwide) and the first day they could offer was Monday 29th. That's 10 days, or 8 if reasonably you exclude Christmas and Boxing Day.

I haven't needed a windscreen repair or replacement for several years but the last time I did, Autoglass were out in a day or two. Colleagues confirm this has been their experience too. Nationwide blamed the delay on the holidays, but isn't over a week excessive?

Is this wait normal now?

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - kudo10
gdfgbsf

Edited by kudo10 on 22/12/2014 at 13:14

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - Ethan Edwards

Maybe they don't keep anything other than very popular cars in stock. Though tbh I would have thought that there are enough Fiat Punto's about to be considered to be in that category myself. Maybe they don't keep anything in stock (accountants running the world again) ...and badly at that!

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - RT

Friday 19th Dec to Monday 29th Dec is just 4 working days - take out 2 Saturdays, 2 Sundays, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Expecting services to be available 24/7/365 is only reasonable if you expect EVERYONE to work the sort of hours necessary to staff at that level.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - alan1302

Friday 19th Dec to Monday 29th Dec is just 4 working days - take out 2 Saturdays, 2 Sundays, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Expecting services to be available 24/7/365 is only reasonable if you expect EVERYONE to work the sort of hours necessary to staff at that level.

Who said anything about wanting 24/7/365?

I would have expected a ne windscreen can be aquired and fitted a lot quicker though. Even if they son't have stock themselves you would have thought they can have them delivered in next day.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - RichT54

I had to get the windscreen of my A3 replaced in November. I phoned Autoglass on the 10th and the earliest date they could give me was for the 17th.

I agree, in the past it was more like a couple of days.

Still, I did get a "free" set of wiper blades.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - Chris M

No I don't expect everyone to work 24/7, but Saturday is generally a working day in the motor trade, although often a short day. If the glass has to be ordered then I can't see why it should take any more than 48 hours and could quite likely be available next day. So ordered Friday and available today doesn't seem to me to be too much of a stretch. Logistics firms do work 24/7.

As I said in my original post, it used to be a couple of days and as RichT54 has confirmed I may be living in the past. Not for the first time.

The other thing which I found strange was that Nationwide's phone lines are open 24/365. What's the point if they can't get out for a week. Maybe my son's insurers only pay for the economy service.

Edited by Chris M on 22/12/2014 at 14:08

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - daveyjp
Had one done last week, wait was about a week, but we wanted an OEM screen and this needed approval from the insurance company, then Autoglass had to get one in.

Local dealer would have done next day, but not as an insurance claim.
Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - Avant

Didn't one of the windscreen companies go bust, leaving Autoglass as much the biggest player in the market, and insisted on by soime insurers? The lack of competition might explain the poorer service.

At last we haven't still got those awful toughened glass screens which shattered across the whole screen. I think they were supposed to be safer before the days of seat belts, but they were a pain. I had a few shatter in successive cars, and used to get the man replacing it with a laminated screen not to put 'laminated' on the bill, otherwise the insurers would kick up.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - Hamsafar

If it's driveable, I don't see the problem, if it is not, I would expect it replaced next working day.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - daveyK_UK

If it's driveable, I don't see the problem, if it is not, I would expect it replaced next working day.

Last week, we had a 12 plate Transit van windscreen replaced same day, called up directline around 10am, it was replaced in the car park before 5pm.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - ExA35Owner

Recently - lease Yeti - same day.

Less recently - Citroen Pluriel - glitch when they sourced a C3 screen and found it was the wrong one - right one done 2 days later.

Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - Ben 10
You're just unlucky with the time of year. You'll just have to wait.
Anyone had a windscreen changed recently? - gordonbennet

Bet if you rang a local screen chappie, not one who spends umpteen £millions on advertising, preferably one who services the car trade you'd have a screen in the same or next day.

You might be even more surprised to find that the job can be done on many cars for only just over the standard screen excess, again not from the heavy advertisers.