Mini Hatch One '57 1.4 Petrol - Replacement Mini Engine Query - mike2014uk

Hi,

It may ring a bell to some of you that I posted on here my Mini was having some really significant engine problems - I was asking for your advice.

I have since returned the car to the garage, and they have diagnosed the engine as having low engine oil pressure, and rather than pay to keep replacing parts/having me return to keep getting the engine looked at, they have agreed to source a whole replacement engine.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should look out for, or what my "rights" would be, as to the mileage etc? Is this a risky strategy? It is an engine rebuilders who would be doing the work, however I do not fully trust the garage who initially sold me the car.

In their defence, they have "lent" me a car, which is pretty knackered, but it's a consolation I suppose.

A Wikipedia search points me towards an engine upgrade in 2007 to the prince engine >> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine

Would an earlier engine matter - are the pre-2007 engines similar, or would they be completley different?

The garage are saying (and have been saying for 2 weeks now) that they are still trying to source a new engine. Just wondering if this could be why they are taking so long.

Any advice at all is appreciated, :)

Mini Hatch One '57 1.4 Petrol - Replacement Mini Engine Query - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately you have one of the "prince " engines which have become notoriosly unreliable (shared with many Peugeot/Citroen models).Hopefully the engine will be able to be rebuilt,as sourcing a s/hand unit will most likely give you the same trouble.The earlier model Mini,pre 2006 uses a Chrysler engine which is a totally different beast,and is not interchangeable.