2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - The23rdman

I'm considering a minty cmax, but reports of the handbrake locking are putting me off. What are the odds of this happening and would it put you off under all circumstances?

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - RobJP

It isn't a case of if it will happen. It's a case of when it will happen.

It wouldn't put me off, entirely. Some makes (VAG getting it in the neck again, sorry) seem to be a bit more prone to issues with these than others, though that might be due somewhat to the steep costs that the dealers charge for replacing.

In general, that people don't notice when one of the motors isn't working, until it comes to MOT time, and the car fails the test. Then, of course, it's a surprise bill, which is never welcome.

Thanks. Wifey has decided that the potential for being stranded anywhere with a known fault like this isn't worth the bother.

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - gordonbennet

I wouldn't have an EPB under any circumstances, but then i buy old cars so unecessary electronic tat is avoided especially if it serves no purpose.

I don't think the EPB is more likely than any other thing to strand you.

Don't know about the Ford set up, but in C4 Picassos there is a thing that looks suspiciously like an IUD in the tool kit, when the EPB fails to release, and i've had this on brand new vehicles, you insert said dodgy looking tool through a rubber grommet in the tranmission tunnel and engage it, turn this till the mechanism breaks and you are free, albeit with no parking brake till its been fixed.

To be fair Fords EPB's haven't featured here that i'm aware of except in general conversation, a good sign in itself, VW's have featured a few times as i recall.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/12/2014 at 11:37

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - madf

An IUD? I thought they were a contraceptive device...

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - Alby Back
I had to move one of our company cars the other day. It was an Insignia with an EPB. Seemed to work ok but made a fair bit of subterranean sounding noise when you applied it. Not sure what advantage it was supposed to afford over a handbrake lever. A solution to a problem which doesn't exist is my initial thought.
2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - RobJP

Agreed - that's why my current BMW is a 3 series, rather than a 5. The 5's from 2010 on all come with EPB, the 3 (even the latest F30-type) is still 'old-fashioned'

An IUD? I thought they were a contraceptive device...

Correct, and that thing in the Picasso kit looks like it would do just the job.

I still don't really get on with the parking brake in my Merc. For those who don't know they're foot applied with a pedal thing and hand released with a pully out thing on the dash.

I have a bit of an OCD about the ratcheting noise it makes when applied and the clunk it makes when released mainly. Handbrakes should be applied and released silently if one is driving in a gentlemanly manner.

Alby, i'm surprised at you.

Pull handle out, press foot on parking brake lever, push handle home, release foot....complete silence.

To release vice versa.

I like the MB parking brake, its been like that for at least 40 years that i know off, classic if its aint broke don't fix it design....howver its not a design for manual gearbox, but then lorries apart no MB should ever be considered with a manual box, dear me no.

:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/12/2014 at 13:43

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - Happy Blue!

Almost five years into ownership of an almost six year old Ford S-Max with EPB. I have had NO problems at all, love the way it operates, hate regular handbrakes now (they get in the way) and would have any other car with EPB over one without.

MInd you, I can see that people who also drive manual cars like manual handbrakes........

The need to get something sorted before Christmas has meant Wifey has bought a Xsara Picasso. 06 plate with FSH, 76k, 12 months MOT and obviously well looked after for 1700 quid. It's the 1.6 petrol so may be under powered, but it also may only be a stop gap until the summer when we can plan better. Necessity led to this buy just before Christmas and limited our budget somewhat.

I went by the adage that at this price a well looked after anything was a decent gamble.

Decent choice, one of my workmates has finally got shot of his Y plate 1.6 petrol Pic after running it for donkeys years almost trouble free and putting mega miles on it.

Replaced with another Cit, a C3 Pic.

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - Bromptonaut

Decent choice, one of my workmates has finally got shot of his Y plate 1.6 petrol Pic after running it for donkeys years almost trouble free and putting mega miles on it.

Replaced with another Cit, a C3 Pic.

I'm working up to a post entitled 150,000 miles in Berlingo. Currently at 147,800 after Northampton to Woolacombe and return last weekend. An 'end of uni term' mission to Liverpool is booked for Sunday, with that various pergrinations over Xmas and son to be returned to Scouseland in Jan I expect to hit magic number in early Feb.

I tried not to like it and find fault with it because it wasn't even my fourth choice, tbh, but I couldn't. It's not exciting to drive, but my wife is as far removed from a "driver" as you can be. It's big and safe with the kids in and is in great condition.

I tried not to like it and find fault with it because it wasn't even my fourth choice, tbh, but I couldn't. It's not exciting to drive, but my wife is as far removed from a "driver" as you can be. It's big and safe with the kids in and is in great condition.

And as with Bromp's Berlie, a wonderful ride quality which doesn't detract from its ability to take corners at speed.

Quite looking forward to Bromp's warts and all 150k mile report....who's writing style Bromp, Clarkson or Peter Hitchens.:)

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/12/2014 at 18:59

Well GB, I had to try didn't I? Your method does indeed reduce the clunk on release, but it doesn't stop the clicks when you push down on the parking brake pedal.

Guess I'll just have to live with the shame, or continue to cough loudly when applying the parking brake.

Edited by Alby Back on 15/12/2014 at 16:56

No you're right Alby, my mistake entirely, the ratchet is on the foot parking brake side, but mine is so blinking quiet (bit like its driver probably about worn out) i don't really notice it, wonder if its worth a squirt of your chosen aerosol lube down the footbrake mechanism to see if it'll dampen the thing down a bit.

This weather on my own driveway i don't use the parking brake, and daresay you don't where virtually no chance of the car getting hit and damaging the gearbox parking pawl.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/12/2014 at 19:00

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - Avant

Just for info (as 23rd man now has his Picasso) I seem to remember that the EPB was only on the top-of-the-range C-Maxes when they came out, but was dropped at the first facelift so that all models had proper handbrakes thereafter.

I thought that the S-Max had a manual handbrake with a rather strange shape - presumably, Happy Blue, yours is an upmarket version with an EPB. Glad it's been no bother to you, but as you say one of these coupled with a manual gearbox doesm't sound tempting.

Yeah, I noticed that. Unfortunatley, it was the top of the range we were looking at because cruise control was the key reason for changing car.

2004 CMAX - EPB failure chances - Happy Blue!

Yes mine is top of the range with all bells and whistles.