Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90 - Can a replacement starter with less teeth work? - Cafm1992

Hello everyone.

With the cold weather we have been having my car has been struggling to start, particularly with slow cranking. My first instinct was the glow plugs, as when it is warmer it starts fine albeit still turns slow compared to most cars. I then changed the battery and the cranking was still slow, I did a parasitic draw test and that only showed 0.02 amps, so i decided it was likely the starter motor

So I bought a second hand replacement starter motor off of eBay, however the amount of teeth was less, I did check with the drop down menus they have as to whether it would fit.

I fitted the motor and first time it started great, second time however it would engage for a few turns, disengage and then clunk. I tried a few times and had the same result. Is this likely to be cause by an incorrect number of teeth or have I possible damaged the flywheel? When viewed 'head on' the teeth seemed to be the same size, but the gear was smaller overall.

Any advice would be great as I am going to fly over to a breakers yard tomorrow in the hope of finding the correct one.

Thanks.

Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90 - Can a replacement starter with less teeth work? - Peter.N.

Its probably only one tooth less which although not ideal will probably work OK, it sounds as though either your new starter is faulty or you have a poor connection somewhere, most likely the earth lead, check the voltage across the starter when engaged, you should have something like 9 volts. I suppose your battery is charging OK, you should have about 14.4 volts across it with the engine running.

Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90 - Can a replacement starter with less teeth work? - Peter.N.

Its probably only one tooth less which although not ideal will probably work OK, it sounds as though either your new starter is faulty or you have a poor connection somewhere, most likely the earth lead, check the voltage across the starter when engaged, you should have something like 9 volts. I suppose your battery is charging OK, you should have about 14.4 volts across it with the engine running.

Sorry for the duplicate, it told me it hadn't posted.

Edited by Peter.N. on 13/12/2014 at 17:14

Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90 - Can a replacement starter with less teeth work? - Cafm1992

Sorry for the duplicate, it told me it hadn't posted.

Thanks Peter.N.

So the amount of teeth makes little difference would you say? The gear did look noticeably smaller, however the motor did fit perfectly.

The battery is charging well, i tested it a few days ago. I think I'll have one more look at the starter motor, check the connections and test the voltage across before heading off to the scrappy tomorrow.

Edited by Cafm1992 on 13/12/2014 at 18:27

I wouldn't say the number of teeth makes no difference as the gearing will be slightly lower but my experience is the same as yours, when looking at the two gears the teeth seem to be the same size, I came across this on a diesel BX once and it seemed to work allright.

FIXED!

I tried cleaning up all the contacts for the eBay starter motor, and while it would work 2 out of 3 times it happened enough to cause me to think the unit is faulty.

Luckily, a local motor factors is open on a Sunday and also had the starter motor I need in stock for £56.50 when you hand in your old unit, which I thought this was reasonable for the 1.7Kw version and would save hours in a scrap yard on a wintery Sunday.

This motor only had 10 teeth (the same as the eBay motor) compared to the 13 teeth which were on the original motor but so far is working a treat and there are no disengagement issues.

The box had some technical information on it regarding number of teeth in that, 10, 11, 12 and 13 teeth versions are available and they are all interchangeable.

Thanks for your help Peter.N.

Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90 - Can a replacement starter with less teeth work? - Gibbo_Wirral

The uprated 1.7Kw starter has been recommeneded for a few other Peugeot models when replacing.

Good you got it fixed. The less teeth the lower the gearing so it should reduce the load on the starter a little.