Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - cdavis89

Evening all, I recently had a ford focus 1.6 diesel which is now about to be written off due to a nonfault crash. I'm looking at really upgrading from my 10 year old focus to a newer Mondeo. What do I need to know/ask?

The reason I'm concerned is that I was stung by needing a new turbo in the focus which (I was told on here) is a relatively common issue with those cars. At the moment I dont want another diesel so I am looking at a petrol 1.8 mondeo, 2007 onwards (but second hand, not the newest model) with manual transmission.

What are the common faults or things i should check for or ask about? Probably going to head to a main dealer or another large, well known company this time.

The HJ page lists a lot of comments about the TDCI model but not so much for the petrol.

Any general info on the mondeo would be great. This is only my second car!

I should add, the reason I don't want a diesel mondeo is mostly because I'm now paranoid that the turbo will die on me like it did with the focus and (unless I'm wrong) diesels in general need more looking after to avoid things like turbos blowing etc... Am I being paranoid or are the Mondeo diesels pretty solid?

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - tanvir
I took a 2005 TDCi from 99k to 145k before the clutch disintegrated and it became in my eyes, uneconomical to repair. I loved it as a car, it just felt 'right' and at times I wish I still had it rather than my current 2008 Focus 1.6.

I don't have any experience of the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol but by all accounts they have less issues on the whole. I'm currently toying with the idea of a late mk3 3.0 V6 in Ghia X/TitX flavour...
Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - Avant

Is your annual mileage over 15,000? If not, go for a petrol. As I've just said on another thread, it's getting increasingly difficult to find a good reliable used diesel. My impression is that Ford are one of the better makes for reliability and longevity in diesels.

Another advantage of Fords is that there are lots of them to choose from, and because of the numbers they lose value quickly and make good secondhand buys.

If you do go for petrol power, look at the Japanese makes: Japanese diesels seem to be nothing special, and used Mazda diesels should be avoided (many stories of expensive failures at higher mileages).

Mileage is going to be around 10-12k a year I reckon. It seems there's not many petrol cars around for sale at the moment, what makes you say go for petrol in my case?

Hopefully my courtesy car today will be a mondeo so I'll have a nice long test drive before I buy :D

Am I right in thinking that when buying a diesel there's a lot more things to check and consider than a petrol or is that old advice from back when diesels all sounded like lorries?

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - catsdad
if you haven't already done so it's worth looking at HJ FAQ which is linked from the Ask HJ tab. Numbers 85 & 87 will probably confirm that petrol is the way to go for you.

Cheers, it'll be a petrol thanks!

So are there any known faults or weaknesses with the petrol versions?

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - oldtoffee

I think a petrol Mondeo will be a good choice, HJ's reviews of the model range seem burdened with diesel issues and very few petrol problems. I'm a bit biased I had a very old one and liked it a lot, 40 mpg on a run, great handling and cheap to service and look after. Just try to remember every time you fill it up and pay the VED that an expensive diesel failure will likely cost you much more than £10 a week extra on fuel and £150 a year more on VED.

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - gordonbennet

£150 a year more on VED.

I reckon that will be changing after the next election, lots of anti Diesel propaganda been bandied about in the MSM over the last year or so, some easy tax money there for the taking, £billions.

They're keeping schtum about it now, everything is rosy in electioneering giveaway lala land.

Aye cheers, I didn't see many complaints about the petrol either. Seem to be a lot of diesels about though, either their owners had issues and traded em in or they just made a lot more diesels. Like has been said though, everyone seems to be ranting over diesels at the moment so perhaps petrol will come back and take over. *shrug*

Cheers for all the info, if you have any more then don't hesitate to reply but otherwise cheers!

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - daveyK_UK

A friend had a 2.0 58 plate, same petrol engine as carried over from the previous Mondeo.

It was a good engine, pulled the car along fine, but a bit thirsty around town.

He did have a problem, on two seperate occasions two different hoses split, one was coolant but I cant remember what the other one hose was.

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - Avant

"....either their owners had issues and traded em in or they just made a lot more diesels."

They did indeed make a lot more diesels. Mondeos are mainly sold to companies, and diesel is still the norm for high-mileage company car drivers. There have long been scare stories about diesel polution, but only recently have they been getting much more publicity, and a growing perception that diesel cars will soon go out of fashion - and hold their value less well than they do at the moment.

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - pd

Very difficult to get an accurate picture of petrol v diesel reliability from reports as they sold about 7 petrol examples so most reports of problems will relate to the diesels.

The 2007 on Mondeo uses the PSA 2.0 litre diesel in most models (which is a completely different engine to the one in the 2000-2007 Mondeo) which appears in many cars and makes. It is generally a fairly decent engine as they go and most places should be familiar with it to fix it but, yes, if it does go wrong can be expensive to fix.

Ford Mondeo - Buying petrol mondeo 2007 onward Potential issues? - IRC

I owned a 2002 1.8 petrol Mondeo from 3yrs old to 10 yrs old. Not much went wrong other than consumables. At 10 yrs old and 90k miles it was still on original exhaust/clutch.

The only fail to start was a failed fuel pump around 7 yrs old.

Needed new rear calipers around 8 yrs old. Some HT lead or other ignition problem causing a misfire at 9 yrs old. - Cheap £20 fix.

Suspension bushes. Two springs.Other than that just consumables - tyres, disc,brake pads plugs, wipers etc.

I finally got rid of it through a combination of several things needing done at the same time, age related, and approaching MOT. Plus just wanting a newer car.

My Octavia 1.4TSI petrol has similar interior space and performance but does 10mpg more and cost around £120 less per year in tax.

The only thing I really miss on the Mondeo compared to the Octaviais the front screen heater. I think a goood 2007 petrol Mondeo would be a decent buy with a good few years economic life left in it.