MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - StGeorgeII
Hi guys,

I posted to this forum a couple of weeks ago explaining I was shocked that the Internet has very little about the all new Mini Cooper SD.

I collected the New Mini Cooper SD & the other half picked up her new Cooper, I must say both cars are great, the Cooper (1.5 litre turbo) sounds nice and has lots of poke too, she is averaging around 38 MPG and I'm averaging around 50 MPG (both being driving normally)

But, I will provide you with more detail on my Cooper SD as the internet is lacking exactly that, I will be honest and remain as impartial as possible.

I previous owed a 62 plate 318i Sport Plus, a beautiful car to look at but hideous when it came to performace and MPG, I had to drive this car really hard and it offered little performace which saw me getting around 27 MPG for the privilege.

I had always said I'd never have a Mini, but when the missus was upgrading hers I test drove both the new Cooper S and Cooper SD in that order, the Cooper S was fun and made all the nice popping noises however, I disliked how you had to drive it at high revs to enjoy the car, when I test drove the SD I regretted losing the sound of the exhaust but the performace absolutely made me fall for this car over the S.

The Cooper SD is massively torquey at around 360-400 torque and around 180 brake (every website say differently) the car comes with a 2 litre twin turbo engine providing you with loads of poke that NEVER struggles, even up steep hills at 45 mph the car is screaming for 6th gear and still provides plenty of torque.

It's fun & provides the driver with lots of "easy" power, you don't need to try hard before the twin turbos kick in and take the car away nicely. The car comes with 3 settings, Sport, Mid & Green. The car performs well in all options but when you switch to Sport the car sounds better, steering tightens and the power is readily available at low revs. Baring in mind the car is small and light, that with the fact it's basically got a twin turbocharged, 2 litre BMW engine - it goes really well, it's pokey as hell and you don't spend hardly anytime filling up at the pumps!

I've been driving it hard and mainly in Sport mode and still I'm getting 50MPG, its a really nice car, if you don't mind losing the sound a Cooper S would provide (although it still sounds like a smooth, sport diesel) and you do decent journeys daily then the Cooper SD is for you, it eats up bends and flys on the motorway, when you put it in to perspective it's a small car with lots of torque, it keeps up and often destroys similar engines in the likes of Audi A3's and BMW 1/2/3 series.

Overall, in my opinion this is a great car, it makes me smile everytime I get behind the wheel, you constantly have piece of mind that when you need that extra power it is all there waiting for you.

Some may argue a Cooper S should have never been made in a diesel but I actually think it's genuis.

Edited by Mini Cooper SD (2014) on 02/12/2014 at 23:00

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Andrew-T

Is this a blatant plug? :-)

Let us know how many miles you get to the gallon of oil (see other posts).

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Happy Blue!

The OPs comments about his new car's performance are rather wild but reflect the quality of modern engines fed with diesel and his lack of knowledge in this regard. His comments about his previous car reflect his driving style - I hope he keeps at least 100 miles away from Manchester to get only 27mpg from a modern 318i.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - RobJP

The OPs comments about his new car's performance are rather wild but reflect the quality of modern engines fed with diesel and his lack of knowledge in this regard. His comments about his previous car reflect his driving style - I hope he keeps at least 100 miles away from Manchester to get only 27mpg from a modern 318i.

The 318i would have been the 'old' E90 model. Looking at HJ's real MPG, the manual box version of that is showing at 36 mpg, auto 30 mpg. So 27 mpg migh not that far out of the way, especially if he does a fair bit of urban driving.

Is this a blatant plug? :-)

Let us know how many miles you get to the gallon of oil (see other posts).

I've never seen anything about BMW diesel engines using oil, could you point us in the direction of those posts ?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, many thanks to the OP for posting his review of his new car. Apologies that the first two replies seem a little bitter and envious. Hope you enjoy the car a great deal.

Out of interest, I've got the F31 BMW 3 series touring in 325d spec, which has the same basic 2.0 litre diesel engine, but with 218 bhp and twin turbochargers. Imagine if they could shoehorn that under the bonnet of the MINI !

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Andrew-T

<< I've never seen anything about BMW diesel engines using oil, could you point us in the direction of those posts ?

Apologies that the first two replies seem a little bitter and envious. Hope you enjoy the car a great deal. >>

There have been several recent threads complaining about excessive loss of oil in the Cooper S model, but I guess that will be the petrol version. As to the other: not bitter; and certainly not envious - sorry ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/12/2014 at 11:57

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Avant

It would be interesting to see the OP's other half's impressions of the petrol Cooper with the new 1.5 emgine. My other half has a Cooper Roadster - her fifth Mini - which she loves but I'm less keen on as the engine is very poor on torque, especially compared with the lovely VW GTI engine in my Octavia.

I think this 1.5 engine is the same in the new BMW 2-series Active Tourer. I looked at it as I was passing Ridgeway BMW in Salisbury yesterday, and although I'm nowhere near changing cars, I was still offered a test drive so I'll have one next week.

The missus' Cooper (1.5 petrol) is brilliant to be fair, it's nippy and sounds appealing, the cars are now around 3 weeks old and her Cooper is getting 42 miles to the gallon and mine is currently at 53 MPG.

She previously owned a Mini First (62 plate) and she has said she has noticed no difference in terms of how often she is at the petrol pumps but she also explained the car is much better (generally) than the previous one, I must say from the odd times I've driven it, it is quicker and sounds a million times better.

In response to the above posts...this is in noway a plug it is simply honest opinions based on the two new vehicles me and the missus have purchased, the reason why I took the time and effort in writing them is because I hope it will assist future "potential buyers" of either the Cooper or the Cooper SD.

I found it hard to find any content on the new 2014 Mini's prior to purchasing one, so I hope at some point someone will find these posts useful.

As mentioned above I've owned the Mini Cooper SD from new (it's now 3 weeks old) and I'm really enjoying it, the only thing I miss about my previous BMW 318i Sport Plus is it's exterior looks, it ends there. I'm really enjoying the SD, it's more than quick enough for me and my requirements (driving to and from work 20 miles away from home) and it looks nice too, there is room in the back of the vehicle for two adults (if they're over 6 ft then they might be uncomforatble on a long journey!!) the optional extras I had were: (the car is Thunder grey) chilli pack, chrome line exterior, chrome side mirrors, John Cooper Works spoiler, black bonnet stripes and the 18" Cone alloys in silver, oh...and the sun tinted, darkened glass, in my opinion it looks the part, the chrome sits well on the dark metalic grey, I didn't add much to the interior, it's pretty much all standard, but even that comes with half leather, auto climate control, bucket seats (including on the missus' Cooper) oh - definately go for the LED lights, me and the missus did and in my opinion it makes the car look better, the daytime runnings lights that come with the LED's are smart too.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Avant

I was impressed with the 2-series Active Tourer (apart from the silly name!) - well done, Ridgeway BMW in Salisbury for letting SWMBO and me take it out on our own, even though I was upfront about it and said I wasn't intending to change cars till 2016.

The 1.5 engine pulled very well in the BMW which is not much smaller than my Octavia: I'm not surprised you find it goes very well in the Mini. Petrol consumption sounds good too: the Mini First was I think a 1.4 so as you say the new 1.5 should be about the same. The 1,6 in SWMBO's Cooper Roadster is quite lively but never hits 40 mpg, which the GTI-engined Octavia will often do on a long run.

Edited by Avant on 13/12/2014 at 22:28

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - davecooper
I just hope they have sorted out the ride. My one experience with a 1.6D Clubman was not pleasant. The ride on my local roads was attrocious, crashing into every small pothole and road imperfection in spine jarring fashion. Good car apart from this but I could not live with that ride.
MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Ethan Edwards

Only 38mpg from a 2 litre TD very very small light car? I get 42mpg from a 2litre TD automatic 4WD Qashqai and thats not hanging around -officer. And despite it being a late 2012 (15K on the clock) that lump is a really old inefficient design.

To get 38 from such a small light car you must permanently be in second gear trundling round town.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - skidpan

Only 38mpg from a 2 litre TD very very small light car?

If you re read the first post you will spot that the OP's wife is getting 38 mpg from her 1.5 turbo petrol Mini Cooper.

If you re read the first post you will spot that the OP is getting 50 mpg from his 2.0 TD Cooper SD.

50 mpg from a Cooper SD is less than I would expect. Having had virtually the same engine in a BMW 118D which returned 48 mpg in a much larger heavier car I would be expecting more from the Cooper SD despite its extra power.

As for the 38 mpg form a 1.5 turbo petrol Cooper, again, I would be expecting more. The 1.6 Cooper S we had did about 32 mpg and that was a stone age engine not noted for its economy but driven sensibly.

As for buying 2 Mini's, each to their own but having had one it was one too many. Way too cramped, way to uncomfortable, far too many problems. It replaced a Puma which was just as cramped, not much more economical and the front seats crippled my back but at least it never went wrong in 6 years and as a complete package it felt like more thought had gone into it as opposed to finding ways to screw the buyer into spending on extras.

At least the Mini held its value wich mean't I could offload it as soon as it was paid for.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - RobJP

50 mpg from a Cooper SD is less than I would expect. Having had virtually the same engine in a BMW 118D which returned 48 mpg in a much larger heavier car I would be expecting more from the Cooper SD despite its extra power.

If you think your old 1-series (which we had one of, too, in 5 door 118d trim) was much larger and heavier than the latest MINI, then you're in for a nasty shock.

From HJs reviews :

old E81/E87 1 series : 4230mm long, 1750mm wide, 1300-1500kg.

new (2014) MINI 3 dr hatch : 3820mm long, 1932mm wide (!), 1160-1260kg

When you consider that the 118d probably fell at the lighter end of the spectrum, and the Cooper SD falls at the heavier end of the range, then it's entirely possible that his Cooper SD is within 50kg of the old 1-series.

-----------

We also had a 'new' MINI, a Cooper, back in 2005. For all of 2 months and 2.5k miles. SWMBO just couldn't get comfortable in it, no matter what she did with the seating/steering setup. Also, much like yourself, we were able to get rid of it for a nominal loss (£500 I think) through a private sale, as they were in such demand.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - skidpan

old E81/E87 1 series : 4230mm long, 1750mm wide, 1300-1500kg

Just found a BMW download from 2008. Weights ranged from 1340kg for the 116i to 1495kg for the 123D so pretty much the same as your figures. The 118D was quoted as 1395kg.

The Cooper SD is without doubt the heaviest Mini so its fair to assume that its only 135kg lighter which is about 10%.

When you consider one is a small city car and one is a small family hatch its a tiny difference.

But I gues the problem I have is I still think of the Mini as being a small car (which it still manages to be inside).

Also, much like yourself, we were able to get rid of it for a nominal loss (£500 I think)

We lost about £2000 in 2 1/2 years and that was a trade in. Could not be bothered to sell a car privately with loads of dripping oil from various leaks.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - Ethan Edwards

Yep your correct. I also agree with your post it's utterly woeful mpg.

My other car a Yaris HSD still goes anywhere the 1.5 petrol turbo can go (probably a bit slower) but returns me a max of 67mpg and I don't hang about with it. Plus I would suggest that on my 75mile commute the whizzy Mini might save me say, at most, at MOST a mere five minutes ....possibly.

Is that five minutes a day worth a 70% plus increase in your fuel costs and more expensive VED ? Not to me it isn't. I'll take the extra wedge in my pocket (and not Cam****s) and spend the five measly minutes a day extra....and maybe keep my clean licence too. That Mini makes zero sense to me as a mode of transport...as a designer handbag..perhaps!

If I want speed I'll buy another motorbike...thats raw speed ...two wheels not four.

I'm loving the new car to be fair, it's all I'm looking for in a car, everyone's requirements in a vehicle will differ from one person to another, I purchased this car after being unhappy with the MPG and general running costs of my 62 plate 318i Sport Plus, I'm now saving £20 per week in fuel and the general running costs of my SD is a lot less, not only that but my monthly finance cost is £100 PCM less.

I look for a car that can get me to and from work (40 mile round trip) I don't have children & this car provides me with a car that I enjoy driving. It is fuel efficient and has more than enough power, I look for torque in my vehicles and in the new SD I have more than enough. As one of the above chaps above said in one of their replies, the Mini is much lighter than the likes of a 1 series, strangely enough one of my previous vehicles was a 13 plate 118d M Sport, I'm getting very similar mileage in the Mini however, the Mini's all round performance is much better, but granted MPG and running cost wise it is the same.

I am currently at 1000 miles and I'm getting 53 MPG on average, I'm rarely at the petrol station (compared to the 318i) I drive the Mini relatively hard, I abuse 3rd gear as that's where all the torque is, the 3rd gear can get the car from 20 MPH to 40 MPH in 2-3 seconds. The car enjoys high gears (as all diesels to) and it actually happily pulls away in 2nd from a stand still position.

On reflection I wish I had gone for an automatic, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing for my budget.

One point I'd appreciate feedback on.....what are your thoughts on "super diesel" compared to standard diesel? Will I get more MPG?

Again, I maintain that I posted this about my new SD to be benefitial to people looking at maybe buying one, if you disagree this is the car you'd spend your cash on then fine, but all I'm saying is I'm really enjoying it & I'd enjoy seeing some of you boys with Novas/Saxos/Corsas on the motorway, no matter how "Kev'd up" it is, the SD would still destroy you and cost me a hell of a lot less money too!

Quick point on the Missus' new Cooper, she is getting around 40 MPG and she is still loving it, it is a nice car & as I've said before it sounds pretty good too.

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - xtrailman

To the OP

I'm not surprised that you enjoy the 2L BMW engine, recent upgrades mean that it now gives more torque at low revs, more than my CX-5, although not more at higher revs.

Most new diesels in this bracket now have twin turbos, the 2L volvo 4 pot is another with excellent low down torque.

But none of them will match a 3L.

Perhaps more reference should be made to power to weight ratios, because that's where the performance really come's from?

MINI Cooper S - New Mini Cooper SD (2014) - xtrailman

Skid pan

The OP posted this later.

"The missus' Cooper (1.5 petrol) is brilliant to be fair, it's nippy and sounds appealing, the cars are now around 3 weeks old and her Cooper is getting 42 miles to the gallon and mine is currently at 53 MPG."

Perhaps it you read....

Edited by xtrailman on 20/12/2014 at 13:29