Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - St Augustine

I have a Merc A170 cdi with faulty alternator. Start the car move away and the battery light comes on, loss of power steering. Have only checked the battery voltage and it seems alternator is not charging the battery.

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - Bolt

I have a Merc A170 cdi with faulty alternator. Start the car move away and the battery light comes on, loss of power steering. Have only checked the battery voltage and it seems alternator is not charging the battery.

Are you asking if you should sell it like it, if so, in my opinion no I would fix it first but thats me.. have you checked alternator belt it might be loose?

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - bathtub tom

it seems alternator is not charging the battery.

If that were so then it would go flat fairly quickly and not be capable of starting the car.

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - RobJP

To answer your question : you could sell it as it is. But just imagine if a buyer comes to look at it, you try to start it, and it won't start ... they're going to hammer you down on price, or walk away.

You say you've tested the battery - but only the voltage. So you haven't really tested the battery.

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - daveyjp
There is also the minor detail that this car has two batteries. A trip to a Bosch service centre would be worthwhile.
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - Armitage Shanks {p}

RTBB would be worthwhile too!

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - elekie&a/c doctor

Two batteries?where are they?

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - Armitage Shanks {p}

Try looking in the owners handbook for this information

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - daveyjp
The usual car battery is under the floor, drivers side. The smaller secondary battery is in a compartment on the RHS of the boot.

Failure of either will cause a battery warning light.
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI Auto - Selling My Faulty Car - pd

If you're losing power steering you definately have a voltage drop somewhere. It is electric and once the voltage drops too low it shuts off the pump.

If it is the alternator I'm sure you could pick up a used one cheaply and get it fitted for not that much. It sits under the car driven by the aux belt which also drives the water pump IIRC. If it is an older shape W168 then they can be had for about £20. If it is the newer shape then I think they are watercooled and are a bit more.

Start the car and stick a voltage meter on the main battery - it should read somewhere around 14v if the alternator is healthy.