54reg Ford Transit,short wheelbase, model 85 T260 - Gearbox Problem??? - biggrin

Hi, I have suddenly started to have trouble selecting first gear, I'm assuming it is something more than just the syncromesh. I have had a couple of scary moments when I thought that I wasn't going to get it back in gear, then eventually I get it in but with a grind or clunk. This seems to be happening more often now, although once on the move the gears are fine. It only seems to be first gear that is affected. (the clutch is OK)

Would appreciate any advice,

Thanks.

54reg Ford Transit,short wheelbase, model 85 T260 - Gearbox Problem??? - Peter.N.

If its the synchro it will crunch as you try and put it into gear, usually worse in reverse. It sounds as though the gearchange mechanism is out of alignment, could be a cable/rod adjustment.

54reg Ford Transit,short wheelbase, model 85 T260 - Gearbox Problem??? - biggrin

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that there might be a cable or rod adjustment , that will be my next step. Thanks again.

54reg Ford Transit,short wheelbase, model 85 T260 - Gearbox Problem??? - Peter.N.

I don't know if there actually is but there could be some damage affecting its adjustment.