Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Bencarra

Can anyone tell me why it is currently fashionable for about 30% of all cars to drive at night in perfect visibility with front fog lights blazing? Does it make the car go faster? Is it suggestive of a more agressive profile? Personally I am sick of it - especially when, like tonight, the idiot follows so closely that the fog lights disappear from the rear view mirror. I believe it is illegal - why don't the police do their duty and nick the lot?

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Ed V

We'd need to double the amount we spend on police. Do you want to?

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Bolt

Since when did we get a choice?.

I have seen the odd 1 or 2 get pulled with fogs on, but it is rare, pity they do not concentrate on headlights either not working or out of alignment, or any lights out come to that, seems to be more and more don`t need lights for some reason? cannot find the switch maybe ;-)

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - mss1tw

Or half as much on bankers and politicians.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - RT

I understand the illegality but frankly fog lights are less bright at eye level than DRLs.

Oh - we don't have traffic police anymore - the cuts have forced their absorption into general units, with class 1 drivers moved into fast response units.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - bathtub tom

Please se this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=107402

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Smileyman

Guilty! I have a few times switched the front fog lamps on to increase the light on the road in front of me, but only on unlit roads and generally if there is very little traffic about (but still too much to use high beam). But never as an alternative to headlamps.

However, never the rear fog lamp, now that is very annoying unless there is genuine poor visability, and much more so at night.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - 72 dudes

Can anyone tell me why it is currently fashionable for about 30% of all cars to drive at night in perfect visibility with front fog lights blazing? Does it make the car go faster? Is it suggestive of a more agressive profile? Personally I am sick of it - especially when, like tonight, the idiot follows so closely that the fog lights disappear from the rear view mirror. I believe it is illegal - why don't the police do their duty and nick the lot?

I do think there are worse driving offences, but yes, it's the "look at me" mentality.

A few quick pulses of your own rear fogs might have given him the message.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Smileyman

with many modern cars you'll need the singular, they just have one rear fog lamp, never sure why, is it cost cutting, or pandering to German desires for just one (or something else?)

Edited by Smileyman on 26/11/2014 at 20:34

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - markweatherill

I wouldn't describe any factory fitted fog lights on a modern car as 'blazing'!

As stated above, LED DRLs are far more likely to dazzle. And they are mandated.

The idea is, I think, that if you drive with headlights off and front foglights on, you will appear to be driving some kind of cool low down sports machine.

Alternatively it's because one headlight is blown and the fog lights are to compensate.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - gordonbennet
Alternatively it's because one headlight is blown and the fog lights are to compensate.

Thats the one reason i do like a vehicle to have auxilliary lights.

Only needed to use fitted foglights in anger half a dozen times in my entire driving life, but many times in order to illuminate properly the front of a vehicle after a headlight bulb has blown.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - dan86

Last night on the way home from work it was foggy but not enough to warrant the use of for lights. Plenty of drivers with fog lights on front and rear even tho viability was was well over 100meters. On the stretches where it viability was pore I'd use my fog lights but turn them off again when viability improved.

Only needed to use fitted foglights in anger half a dozen times

I had a mk1 Fiat punto where the break lights and fog lights were in the same part of the cluster, if someone was tail gating I would put my rear fogs on and off as if I was breaking most of the time it stopped them from doing it.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Alanovich

in order to illuminate properly the front of a vehicle after a headlight bulb has blown.

I prefer to carry a spare set of bulbs and the necessary tools to change a bulb at the roadside as and when it happens (obviously this doesn't apply to Renaults where the bulb needs to have blown outside a Renault dealer). I've had to do a few on my SAAB 9-5, it's staggeringly well designed to allow easy bulb changes, best I've ever seen.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned - this new generation doesn't seem to have been taught the proper way to do things by their parents.

;-) ;-)

in order to illuminate properly the front of a vehicle after a headlight bulb has blown.

I prefer to carry a spare set of bulbs and the necessary tools to change a bulb at the roadside as and when it happens (obviously this doesn't apply to Renaults where the bulb needs to have blown outside a Renault dealer). I've had to do a few on my SAAB 9-5, it's staggeringly well designed to allow easy bulb changes, best I've ever seen.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned - this new generation doesn't seem to have been taught the proper way to do things by their parents.

;-) ;-)

I carry a spare set of bulbs as well, but I also understand some are not able to change bulbs due to position ie not easy to get to, some,in fact most people I know dont even check the oil themselves, they really don`t have a clue

I also have rarely used fogs due to the fact they only really help others see you, not help you see any better,in fact I think your better off with just sidelights and no headlights imo....its only the law that says you must have dipped beam otherwise I wouldnt use them in fog

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - skidpan

I prefer to carry a spare set of bulbs and the necessary tools to change a bulb at the roadside as and when it happens

Is that really sensible?

You honestly need to be well off the road in a carpark. Changing a bulb on the roadside makes you more of a hazard than driving with a bulb out IMHO.

Since most bulb failures will occur at night in poor visibility carrying out the change without decent illumination will be pretty much impossible.

I agree that a bult needs changing ASAP but doing it at the roadside is totally crazy, it can wait a few miles.

Yes, OK, wrong word maybe, roadside is just a general term for doing it if noticed mid-journey. I will always get off the road to do something like this, sorry thought that was obvious.

There are roads and there are roads though - residential well lit cul-de-sac slightly different proposition to the A1. Car park or very quiet road under a street lamp is fine. Done it a few times. Home, obviously, for preference but if far away I'd rather change a buld than drive few hundred miles with one out, even if I had fogs to compensate (I do on my SAAB, not on my Mazda, which also has easy to change bulbs). Also carry a wind-up torch in my car. Be prepared - ex-Scout here.

Edited by Alanovich on 27/11/2014 at 10:47

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Bromptonaut

Both cars have a bulb kit and access to lights is OK in both Mk 2 and Mk 3 Berlingo is OK if slightly fiddly on pax side of the older one. It's also easy to spot a failed dipped bulb (the usual culprit on either) both by assymetric light pattern and habit of checking reflection.

Like others though, I'd be chary of changing it literally at side of road. Much easier on the driveway at home where there's proper lighting and acess to a decent head torch. Also, if I drop anything or some clip 'pings' off I've a reasonable chance of finding it again. Forced into an 'away' change I'd be looking for a filling station forecourt or similar.

Did one on a carpark on a Black Forest pass top in piXXing rain though. I can explain to an English copper but by German is non-existent and their traffpol may be less flexible than ours.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - 72 dudes

I also have rarely used fogs due to the fact they only really help others see you, not help you see any better,in fact I think your better off with just sidelights and no headlights imo....its only the law that says you must have dipped beam otherwise I wouldnt use them in fog

Oh Bolt, surely you're not serious? Side lights in fog? Thank goodness for the law then, otherwise you'd be invisible to other road users.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - alan1302

Oh Bolt, surely you're not serious? Side lights in fog? Thank goodness for the law then, otherwise you'd be invisible to other road users.

Why would you be invisible? I'd find side lights perfect acceptable. Lights can't get through the fog so no need for extra bright ones.

Always reminds me of watching a night time rally on TV. When the fog came down they turned off the huge powerful lights on the front of the car as it just refelcted the light back and turned them off.

Always reminds me of watching a night time rally on TV. When the fog came down they turned off the huge powerful lights on the front of the car as it just refelcted the light back and turned them off.

That's why fog lamps are low mounted and have good "cut-off" to reduce glare/reflection. Rally cars tend to mount lamps quite high.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - skidpan

Why would you be invisible? I'd find side lights perfect acceptable

Sidelights only in foggy conditions, you need prosecuting.

Sidelights are only a 5 watt bulb normally wheras headlights are 60 watt, spot the difference. Fog lights are somewhere between the two.

I admit that in daylight fog lights do little to illuminate your path but they do allow aother road users and pedestrians a better chance of seeing you.

I use very bright led bulbs as sidelights, they have replaced the standard filament bulb which is as good as drl`s, so as for not being seen,I very much doubt it.

dipped beam is more of a pain in the fog as is fog lamps and as soon as I am able will go over to led headlamps,much crisper light and better cut off point so as not to blind oncoming drivers, though not sure if any better in fog yet

The thing is bolt, we're all calling the lights you use in the fog by the wrong name. They are not side lights. They are parking lights. They are not intended for use alone whilst driving, in any conditions.

I was taught that if it's dark enough for lights, then on with the headlamps. And I still agree. Parking lights are just that - to illuminate a stationary car at the side of the road.

Installing over rated LED bulbs in them is pointless - just switch your brighter head lamps on!

The thing is bolt, we're all calling the lights you use in the fog by the wrong name. They are not side lights. They are parking lights. They are not intended for use alone whilst driving, in any conditions.

I was taught that if it's dark enough for lights, then on with the headlamps. And I still agree. Parking lights are just that - to illuminate a stationary car at the side of the road.

Installing over rated LED bulbs in them is pointless - just switch your brighter head lamps on!

I`ve been calling them sidelights for as long as I can remember and not about to change now.

Apart from the law stating at lighting up time ie when the street lamps light up,or weather says you need dipped beam, I use the lamps you call parking lamps during the day which imo are as good as drl`s, and, as I do not use parking lamps for parking they do me fine whilst driving, unless law says otherwise...

Pointless they maybe to other people, but I am perfectly happy using led, also what do you use at night if not parking lights to drive with? you have no other lights on the rear so you have to use them parking lights or sidelights

what do you use at night if not parking lights to drive with? you have no other lights on the rear so you have to use them parking lights or sidelights

Erm, dipped headlights, which also illuminate the rears. I would never drive at night on just the parking lights at the front. That would be idiotic. Highway code, 115.

Edited by Alanovich on 28/11/2014 at 09:52

what do you use at night if not parking lights to drive with? you have no other lights on the rear so you have to use them parking lights or sidelights

Erm, dipped headlights, which also illuminate the rears. I would never drive at night on just the parking lights at the front. That would be idiotic. Highway code, 115.

dipped headlights do not illuminate the rear of the car,sidelights do ie 2 red, possibly like mine 4 red, plus white/warm white no plate light

as far as i`m aware parking lights are operated by the direction indicator switch when parked ie n/s parked by kerb, indicator to turn right with ignition off gives o/s lights on and vice versa

as far as i`m aware parking lights are operated by the direction indicator switch when parked ie n/s parked by kerb, indicator to turn right with ignition off gives o/s lights on and vice versa

They've never had any legal status in the UK - either all round parking lights or none at all where permitted.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Bromptonaut

dipped headlights do not illuminate the rear of the car,sidelights do ie 2 red, possibly like mine 4 red, plus white/warm white no plate light

Refernce to side lights or dipped beam is about what's lit at front. At rear you have tail lights which operate same bulbs (5 watt if tungsten filament). In many applications one dual filamant bulb covers both tail and brake light functions.

That is, AIUI, a German protocol which is retained in UK market VAG products. Not required for UK market and not present in either of my citroens. If I'm in place where parked vehicle is required to show lights I use side/tail combination.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - galileo

That is, AIUI, a German protocol which is retained in UK market VAG products. Not required for UK market and not present in either of my citroens. If I'm in place where parked vehicle is required to show lights I use side/tail combination.

I had a Mk4 Zephyr with this feature, if you had set the parking lights for one side with the indicator it wouldn't start till you reset to both sides.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - Stumblebum

On rural unlit and rarely maintained A & B roads I switch on my front fogs just so that I have a better chance of seeing pot holes, large puddles, mud etc.

I don't think my front fogs dazzle other people. It's not often, if ever, have I been dazzled by some one elses fog lights.

Personally I think many drivers are too keen to put on their rear fog lights. As these are higher placed, they can dazzle. More importantly rear fogs can distract from the brake lights, so it takes a bit longer to register that the car in front has applied the brakes. I always leave enough space in front - regardless of the weather - but many drivers don't.

The other night I started a journey in the afternoon with just sidelights. Four hours of motorway driving in the dark later, I realised I had forgotten to progress to main beam - doh. I wish car manufacturers would upgrade their dashboard indicators to say which lights you are using (on the types of cars I can afford).

Easy fix - never drive on "side" lights. Always switch dip beam on if you think lights are needed. Those will never dazzle anyone and you'll never be under lit.

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - FP

"...I switch on my front fogs just so that I have a better chance of seeing pot holes, large puddles, mud etc."

I don't find fog lights make it easier to see such things and it would be surprising if they did. They are set close to the ground (which is why their use in condiitons other than fog is banned). Their low position is to reduce glare from fog, as the source of the light is at a greater angle to the eyes of the driver than headlights are. They will show vertical or near-vertical objects much better than horizontal ones.

"The other night I started a journey in the afternoon with just sidelights." Why? What's the point? If you need lights when driving you need dipped headlights. Sidelights don't give enough light to drive with and certainly not enough light to be seen by others, when the majority are using headlights, or - as in the title of the thread - foglights as well.

(which is why their use in condiitons other than fog is banned).

"fog or falling snow"

Sorry to be pedantic.

I thought the pedantic definition was "in visibility less than 100 metres".

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves." www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-...6

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves." www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-...6

No - that's the conditions under which headlights must be used.

Included within my quotation are the words " You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

The word "MUST" coveys a legal requirement, so, legally, foglights must be switched off when visibilty is better than 100 metres.

Which is what I thought I had said.

Included within my quotation are the words " You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

The word "MUST" coveys a legal requirement, so, legally, foglights must be switched off when visibilty is better than 100 metres.

Which is what I thought I had said.

That defines when they can't be used, ie when visibility is greater than 100 metres - the definition when they can be used still stands, ie that they can only be used in fog or falling snow.

Of course all sensible drivers know that fog lights can only be used in fog or falling snow when the visibility is less than 100 metres !!!!

"... the definition when they can be used still stands, ie that they can only be used in fog or falling snow."

You know, I've combed the Highway Code yet again, but I can't find any reference to the use of foglights in falling snow.

The definition for their use rests solely on visibility being less than 100 metres (Rule 226). Whether the lack of visibility is down to snow or rain or fog, or some alien vapour, it matters not.

Edited by FP on 28/11/2014 at 16:37

"... the definition when they can be used still stands, ie that they can only be used in fog or falling snow."

You know, I've combed the Highway Code yet again, but I can't find any reference to the use of foglights in falling snow.

The definition for their use rests solely on visibility being less than 100 metres (Rule 226). Whether the lack of visibility is down to snow or rain or fog, or some alien vapour, it matters not.

The Highway Code isn't the only place defining UK Road Traffic Law - it's intended as a readable summary.

What does UK Road Traffic Law have to say about the use use of foglights in rain?

Any - Driving with front fog lights in good visibility - HandCart

It certainly ought to say: "If it's night-time, don't you dare!"