Citroen C5 2003 - Citroen Poor Starting - hes

Hello, I have a 2003 Citroen C5 2lt Hdi which has been great until last winter when it just wouldn't start. The engine seems to turn over but won't "catch". I had heater plugs/filters checked and even bought a new Bosch battery with a 5 yr guarantee, which tests OK. The problem seems worse in extreme temperatures i.e. very hot or very cold. Dont'know alot about diesel engines but seems like poor compression? Fuel starvation? Fuel pump seals? Once the engine is started it drives perfectly...... All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Citroen C5 2003 - Citroen Poor Starting - Peter.N.

Firstly how fast is the engine turning over? If its slow the starter motor will probably be at fault. The fuel pressure has to reach a certain level before the ECU will open the injectors, one cause of low pressure could be that the engine is not turning over fast enough. If that's OK the next most likely problem is the pressure regulator on the HP pump, these have a filter that can clog and reduce the pressure and cause all sorts of other problems as well.

You are unlikely to have much in the way of engine wear unless its done a very high mileage, I have one that's done 200,000 miles and still starts fine. Its unlikely to be fuel starvation if it starts OK in warm weather.

I have had several engine problems with mine and they were all caused by the pressure regulator. They don't all have a filter so you can get away with removing it, this is what I did to mine and its been fine for the last year or so. You can get a used one quite cheaply on ebay or a new one for about £80. They are quite easy to fit, bolted to the pump behind the fuel filter which you will have to remove, two screws and a plug, the screws will probably be torx or allen, a 1/4" drive ratchet with the appropriate driver is the easiest way to get to them.

Citroen C5 2003 - Citroen Poor Starting - Railroad.

Check to make sure the fuel pump inside the fuel tank is running when you crank the engine. You should be able to hear it humming. Put your hand on the bottom of the tank while someone else cranks it. You should be able to feel the pump working. If it isn't then whack the underside of the tank fairly hard with the palm of your hand. If the pump starts immediately then it's worn and you need a new one. You can also tell if the pump is working by looking at the fuel filter housing under the bonnet. When you switch on the ignition and the fuel pump starts the housing should swell very slightly. If it definitely doesn't then the pump isn't working.

Edited by Railroad. on 25/11/2014 at 08:41

Citroen C5 2003 - Citroen Poor Starting - Gibbo_Wirral

Could it be the diesel heater if it has one?

Mine went a while back and only a diagnostic check showed it to be faulty (no engine management lights or warnings on screen).

Thank you very much for your help and advice. Regards, Hester

Many thanks for your detailed advice, much appreciated. As the car has been in our family since new, and very well maintained with only 85,000 miles on the clock, I suspect it is something as you suggest with a faulty regulator. I'll get it checked out. Thanks again.

Citroen C5 2003 - Citroen Poor Starting - ScoBro

Dealt with quite a few of the HDI's and Love them but have their starting querks. Citroen / peugeot upped the starter motor KW's from 1.4 / 1/7 to 2 and that makes a huge difference. If they dont spin fast enough, takes a while for the fule pressure to build before the injectors open.

Sometimes a dragging Dual mass flywheel can slow them down, seen this on a 307 2.0 HDI. Started perfect after it was changed to a single mass flywheel.

One way to eliminate the battery is to jump it even though it probably has enough power in its own battery. Just gives it that few extra volts to help. If no difference, more than likely the starter motor.

Not sure where abouts you are, But I have the dealer software if you require a plug in.

HDI's don't really use the glow plugs, even in the very cold it's only for a couple of seconds. The Filter housings have an inline heater with a green plug on the top.

Scott