For Mondeo 2010 Titanium X - Water Ingress corroded the wiring loom - TonyE

I've had this car since March and generally been pretty happy with it until yesterday. On Saturday I drove it and everything was fine. Sunday I tried to drive it - pushed the button and nothing. Then 'Engine Malfunction' warning and then 'Immobiliser Active' message. I took out a Ford warranty when I bought it. The car was taken to my local ford dealer - not where I bought it from and they said its water ingress into the wiring loom and it's corroded part of the loom that connects to the battery - anyhow its £384 to fix it....and it's not covered by their warranty as its external factors! To me that is rubbish - if the car has a leak that's corroding stuff then its down to how the car has been put together. Its not like I live in an area with especially corrosive rain!

The dealer said that obviously they can't guarantee that this won't happen elsewhere on the car, but they will reseal it where its occurred at present.

So is this a common fault with the mondeo? Also, should I be looking to shift it on? As I said I've had it since March and I've done 12000 miles in it (mainly motorway) and its done a total of 41k miles.

Edited by TonyE on 24/11/2014 at 17:39

For Mondeo 2010 Titanium X - Water Ingress corroded the wiring loom - elekie&a/c doctor

I have not heard of any wiring corrosion issues on these other than the wiring harness that connects to the abs sensors.These are a cheap and easy fix.Not too sure how the wiring corrodes in the under bonnet area and where does the water ingress come from?So what work has been done for the £384 to fix the problem?If the wiring has failed from water ingress,then it must have been there for a while,it doesn,t happen overnight.

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. The short answer is no work has been carried out yet as they only told me what the problem is at close of business. He made out that its a time consuming job chasing then wiring through.

I've owned the car for 9 months - had it been 6 I could have had this sorted using the sale of goods act - now the onus would be on me to prove that this problem was present when I bought the car.

Unfortunately I work away from home - the car is back home in the north west, at the local ford dealers while I'm now in Edinburgh all week meaning everything is done by phone.

The main problem I have is what to do next? Do I keep the car and hope that this is a one off or do I look to replace it. As I work away from home, i need a car that's going to be reliable. This one might very well not be.

Having a discussion with a lawyer about this via Which. Given I bought it on 15th March 2014 I'd say that it's fairly safe to assume that this part was corroded or was corroding at the point I bought it. Thinking back on it, I had a couple of instances where its alarm would randomly set off, although this seems to stop happening and one time, about 3 weeks after I bought it when all its engine stopped when I was driving down the road late one night. I put this down to a faulty key fob and used my other one. Perhaps it wasn't!

Another update - The local dealers have fixed the car. the bill was actuallt 384. he says it looks like water has been getting in over a period of time and agreed with me that I should go back to the original dealership and complain and get some kind of refund.

As I say, my main issue is what if there are other parts of the wiring loom that have corroded and that i'm not going to be faced with more and more bills over time. Then there is the safety aspect. What if certain parts of the car decide to stop working due to the wiring failing?