Commission charges at car auctions - EDW2000

I have been looking at the BCA website, they have a nice selection of cars but the commision prices are very high unless you are a regular buyer (dealer).

Any other acutioneers that dont charge so much? I am looking for a Kia Ceed Diesel (new shape 2012 -).

BCA has lots of Motobility cars, are they a good bet?

Cheers chaps.

Commission charges at car auctions - grimep

I've walked up and down rows of Motability cars at BCA Blackbushe and they've all had cosmetic damage, even saw a badly dented roof on one. Having said that my current car is ex-Motability but wasn't auction.

Even the trade finds BCA too expensive, its just for the big boys. I figured I'd have to add at least £700 in fees, tax, service, MOT, etc and even then I'd have no comeback if the car went wrong. I figured it was cheaper to buy off a small local trader.

As for other auctions, depends where in the country you are. If you're on the South East coast I've heard Shoreham Vehicle Auctions are worth a look, if not there might be something similar to you.

Commission charges at car auctions - daveyK_UK

BCA have been going down hill for years, mainheim have gone the same way

Commission charges at car auctions - John Boy

My current car is also ex-Mobility (returned after 2 years, rather than 3) and also not auction. I was told that Mobility dealers can bid for them before they go to auction. It was low mileage and pretty much spotless.

Commission charges at car auctions - RobJP

I'd have to agree with grimep's post. The charges that BCA and others make mean that a 'cheap' car at auction is suddenly nearly as expensive as 'retail' price at an independent dealer, but without any of the consumer protections.

From memory of the hammer price was 500, you would pay an additional 292 buyers fee , 26 dvla registration fee and a 35 bca assured check fee.

It makes a 500 bargain with risks become a expensive suicidal move

Edited by daveyK_UK on 24/11/2014 at 14:37

Commission charges at car auctions - slkfanboy

My current car is also ex-Mobility (returned after 2 years, rather than 3) and also not auction. I was told that Mobility dealers can bid for them before they go to auction. It was low mileage and pretty much spotless.

That is my understanding too

Commission charges at car auctions - AvoidIndemnityFees

I was banned by an auction house about 30 years ago, This is why:

I bought an old horsebox for £500-00, and paid for it, I not given by them a logbook with it which they promised to post on to me. After paying tor it, I went into the yard to collect it and drive it away, it drove just 50 yards and stopped (conked out) in front of the entrance & exit gate, there staff hand pushed me further back into their yard and we parked it. Realising I had bought a dud I re-entered it back into the next sales, I paid the entry fees and left it there, It was sold and the presumably the new buyer paid for it. I waited 2-weeks for the sellers payment cheque to arrive then phoned them to ask for it. And was told because I had entered it with no log book I would not be paid. I explained they had sold me it with no log book, so they had the log book not me, After 3 months of useless argument with no refund in sight, I bought another vehicle, paid for it by cheque and stopped the cheque, I then DEDUCTED what they owed me for the horsebox sale and sent them the balance owed. I got banned for this. As for their fees we all know all they are entitled to is 10%, and a nominal entry fee, it's now an outrageous figure. The so called management fee should by law be banned and so should the Buyers Good title Guarantee Fee, if its stolen or on HP, its their duty to refund you free of charge, since they sold it without good title. I have been to all the major car auction centres and all of them have a dirty-tricks department. They all need to be licensed and the licence removed if they fraudulently run buyers up,

[Name of company removed in accordance with No Naming & Shaming Policy. Xileno - moderator]

Edited by Xileno on 02/04/2021 at 10:48

Commission charges at car auctions - Andrew-T

I was banned by an auction house about 30 years ago, This is why:

As this tale is said to be 30 years old, one might ask whether it may still be typical, or whether any regs may have changed since ?

Commission charges at car auctions - sparky100

Hi, yes i usually buy my cars from auction but just recently every time i go to have a look at various cars ,the commision charges seem to keep going up. Aston Barclay used to be reasonable but they have gone the same way. To charge close on £500 on a £10000 car is stupid, no wonder they can afford fancy auction rooms. Best to buy private now and pay for hpi check. Sparky100.

Commission charges at car auctions - sparky100

Hi, yes i usually buy my cars from auctions, but every time i go to view various cars, the commission charges have gone up. Aston Barclay used to be reasonable but they have gone the same way. How can they charge close on £500 on a £10000 car, no wonder they can afford fancy auction sites. Best to buy private now and pay for HPI check. Same protection as at auction. They used to warrant most cars for a certain time after hammer falls but they don't do that any more. They can't go wrong, licence to print money really. Sparky100.

Commission charges at car auctions - gordonbennet

I used to collect ex motability from dealers in my past work, there were some peaches but boy were there some neglected and abused tat too, i suspect the cream might well not be at the auction.

www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Global/UK/Buyers%20...f

BCAs latest fees, does anyone have a link to Mainheims or aston barclays?

anyone ever used CD auction group?

Commission charges at car auctions - RobJP

www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Global/UK/Buyers%20...f

BCAs latest fees, does anyone have a link to Mainheims or aston barclays?

anyone ever used CD auction group?

Thanks for posting the link to that. BCA used to be very coy about their fees, putting them up on display in the centres, but not having anything online.

I notice that on this page : www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/buy/Useful-informat.../ they have the difference between 'Blue' (up to 3 cars per annum) and 'Gold' (12-99 cars a year) listed. For a £10k car, respective fees are £609 and £279.

Really don't want private buyers, do they !

Commission charges at car auctions - gordonbennet

No they don't, feels like the whole nearly new car industry is bordering on a cartel.

Then you have the other extreme, the typical car supermarket one of which is 12 miles from us where the finance package is the first thing to be discussed, and the car merely a sideshow to the production line experience from the second you drive into stalag 15, i expect most here would be like us, one visit more than enough nothing bought never again.

Commission charges at car auctions - Gibbo_Wirral

Maybe that's a good thing? I've lost count at the number of lemons I've heard people buy at auctions, then whinge and whine at anyone who will listen because they decided to be cheap and have ended up with a massive bill, or they bizarrely blame the marque!

Perhaps the auction houses have been on the receiving end too?

Personally, no amount of discount an auction offers would tempt me to risk buying something I can't test drive or run a diagnostic on.

Commission charges at car auctions - TheBroker

Agree re running a diagnostic check, we do this wherever possible in the few minutes before we bid (or we dont bid unless warranted) - we just plug in an OBDII reader hooked to iphone to read off any faults. Takes about 60 seconds.

Commission charges at car auctions - bathtub tom

Agree re running a diagnostic check, we do this wherever possible in the few minutes before we bid (or we dont bid unless warranted) - we just plug in an OBDII reader hooked to iphone to read off any faults. Takes about 60 seconds.

They let you do that?

What about private buyers?

Not been stopped yet but we are subtle about it.

Hi, we have sourced vehicles through BCA for our customers on occasion (only to order mind as we are primarily finance brokers for new cars and vans) and the charges we incur are far less than Joe Public.

If you are near to us (Cambridge) and are looking at an Auction nearby (Enfield/Peterborough/Bedford) get in touch and we might be able to help you.

I actually sourced a Cee'd SW for my brother-in-law from Blackbushe and it was excellent (actually came from one of our supplers as well).

Or, looking at such a new car, you could consider leasing one...

Either way let me know if we can help

Be grateful if anyone has recent experience or a link to Mainheim, Aston Barclays or brightwells
manheim fees

www.manheim.co.uk/campaigns/buyer%20benefits

At least manheim dont hide their fees on their website like BCA do

there is no direct link on the BCA website to their buyers fees

so if you purchased a car from manheim for a hammer price of £6000
you can expect to hand over
buyers fee £471.60
silver car check fee £42
they do not seem to charge for sending off the V5
total of - £513.60
percentage of £6,000 is 8.5% extra

where at BCA a £6000 hammer price
you can expect to hand over
buyers fee £511
bca assured car check £35
sending off V5 £26
total of - £572
percentage of £6,000 is 9.53% extra

imo, they are both a rip off
Commission charges at car auctions - oldroverboy.
so if you purchased a car from manheim for a hammer price of £6000 you can expect to hand over buyers fee £471.60 silver car check fee £42 they do not seem to charge for sending off the V5 total of - £513.60 percentage of £6,000 is 8.5% extra where at BCA a £6000 hammer price you can expect to hand over buyers fee £511 bca assured car check £35 sending off V5 £26 total of - £572 percentage of £6,000 is 9.53% extra imo, they are both a rip off

Why? A business exists to make a profit. There are overheads, and shareholders to reward. For a business seller/purchaser the fees are lower. If you don;t like it, dom't buy. :>)
Commission charges at car auctions - pd
Note that you need to add VAT to the Manheim figures after which they are basically the same as BCA's.

Manheim did have the very good Assured scheme which they have just dropped in favour of the rubbish SureCheck.

The Assured scheme used to warrant something like the whole gearbox so if your manual car turned out not to have a 5th gear or an auto starting banging about through the gears or wouldn't change when warm you could take it back.

All SureCheck warrants is that it will go into first and reverse - nothing else. If the Autobox is knackered or the bearings whine hard luck.

Basically, SureCheck doesn't cover anything which wouldn't be apparent when it drives through.
A good thread to revisit

Buyers fees for non trade at BCA

www.bca.co.uk/Documents/UK/Buyers%20Fees/BCA_Buyer...f

This is on top of the other fees some of which are mandatory, others apply to 95% of stock

www.bca.co.uk/Global/UK/BCA%20Buyer%20and%20Seller...f

£26 DVLA V5 fee - mandatory to the public
£150 admin fee - mandatory
£65 Assured report - applies to majority of cars except old bangers or the seller doesn’t want one on it (normally a good reason!)

£241 + buying fee

In other words, no benefit to buying at BCA unless you have access to a trade account and even then it really needs to be a gold, platinum or black card.

In terms of the trade, anyone know what the intermediate (silver), business (gold), business plus (platinum) and corporate (black) buying fees are?
I will ask my neighbour next time I see him who last time I asked he had a gold BCA trade card and he said the buyers fee where expensive compared to what it used to be?
Commission charges at car auctions - expat
In other words, no benefit to buying at BCA unless you have access to a trade account and even then it really needs to be a gold, platinum or black card.

It is much the same here in Australia. In the past you could get a good ex fleet two year old large saloon at auction for half the new price. That was a good deal and I used it a couple of times. No more these days. The auction fees are too high and large saloons are off the market. Small hatchbacks hold their value so no bargains there.

To make matters worse, here in WA, most main dealers are in two big chains who keep prices up so there is little benefit in getting a 2 year old used car from them. No doubt they also pay peanuts for trade ins but add a huge markup. Luckily I don't change my cars often. These days I buy new, service it by the book and keep it till it is no longer financially viable or reliable. That is at least 18 years.

You will be fortunate to get 18 year out of a modern car, they are simply not made to last for decades

Commission charges at car auctions - Marlin1

BCA sell a car to a dealer.

If they need to, the dealer then borrows the money from BCA to finance the car at 10%.

BCA then insist on being paid when the car is sold and they send people to check the forecourts.

If the car isn't sold within a few months BCA want their money back anyway.

Edited by Marlin1 on 05/04/2021 at 12:52

Commission charges at car auctions - _

I can see problems where a dealer buys a "lemon", finances it, removes a lot of profit margin and then ends up forking out for repairs.

Commission charges at car auctions - aethelwulf

Re the cars lasting. Well I run a 2005 plate Mondeo estate Zetec . 2L petrol and it runs just fine. Nearly 77K on the clock . Passes MOTs no advisories. It is ex Avis and I have had it since 2006 as they get rid after one year. Been a good buy at £10K from a Ford main dealer. VED is dear now but I'm still not scrapping it as it is easy to maintain and has no annoying electronic stuff modern cars have.