Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI - Gear: 2, 4, reverse won't engage anymore - koliva

Hi,

Today, I was cruising at around 50 km/h in third gear and I needed to accelerate a bit more. It was not so hard acceleration but more than what I usually do. After the car speeded up a bit, I was going to pull it to the fourth gear but I realized that it does't engage anymore to the 4th gear. I stopped the car and I realized that it doesn't also engage in 2nd and reverse. So basically, the gear doesn't move at all below side. I have read some topics about non-engaging gears but there the problem is described as, for example, you can pull the gear to the fourth gear position but it doesnt engage. In my case, I can't move it to the fourth gear position at all.

Could anyone describe me what would be the issue?

Thanks.

Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI - Gear: 2, 4, reverse won't engage anymore - Peter.N.

I would suspect that one of the cables has come loose from the underside of the gear lever box, the nipple on the end can come loose which allows the whole cable to move instead of it operating the gear change.

Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI - Gear: 2, 4, reverse won't engage anymore - koliva

I have some hands on experience with my car. I change the oil, filters and so on. Do you think that I can fix this myself? I can disassemble the gear lever part, I mean the plastic parts surrounding.

Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI - Gear: 2, 4, reverse won't engage anymore - Gibbo_Wirral

Yeah, providing you get the car lifted up enough you shouldn't have a problem swapping it.

Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI - Gear: 2, 4, reverse won't engage anymore - Peter.N.

Yes, not to difficult. Get someone to put it in and out of gear while you are watching the cables, if one is moving in and out the ferrule on the end is not gripping the cable, you can crimp it up using a pair of mole grips, you need to get it tight so adjust them until closed then squeeze hard until they lock, you may have to do this in a couple of places.