Mazda 3 - Mazda 3 - 1.6 Tdi DPF filter - Rudlin

Does my car have a DPF filter?

Most of the times throughout the week I take very short trips to work and back home, however after a relatively long trip, eg like over 100 miles, on a sudden stop my car would occasionally cut out and wouldn't crank up again for a period of few minutes.

I had hoped that flushing through the system with additives would resolve the issue.

Thanks

Edited by Rudlin on 19/11/2014 at 11:16

Mazda 3 - Mazda 3 - 1.6 Tdi DPF filter - Railroad.
The new more strict emission MOT tests came into force in July 2011 for diesel vehicles, and therefore I believe they had to be fitted with a DPF from 2008 onwards. Many cars had them before that though. People buy a diesel car because they are attracted to the type of fuel economy they're capable of, but you should be mindful that modern diesels are not suited to short journey types of use, and if you must do that then you really are better off with a small petrol. The new rule of thumb concerning diesels is do the miles or expect to be continuously putting your hand in your pocket.

Forgot to mention, my car reg is 2006, that would mean it doesn't have a DPF filter?

Mazda 3 - Mazda 3 - 1.6 Tdi DPF filter - Railroad.
A car if that year will not be required to have one but that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. It most likely doesn't, but you can check for the presence of one by looking underneath at the exhaust system and checking for the two pressure sensors that will be located at either end of the DPF. If there are definitely no sensors then there will not be a DPF fitted.

Thanks,.

Mazda 3 - Mazda 3 - 1.6 Tdi DPF filter - skidpan

The Mazda 3 used the same 1.6 TDCi used in the Ford Focus, Volvo C30/S40/V50 and several Peugeot?Citroen models (and the Mini).

The 110PS engine in the Focus (which is the same output as the Mazda 3) needed a DPF to comply with Euro 4 emmisions and since this standard became law on 01 January 2006 it is 100% certain that your car has a DPF.

I had hoped that flushing through the system with additives would resolve the issue

Aditives will not help since the soot particles are chemically bonded to the DPF matrix and need 600 degree heat to remove them, that is what a regenration does. However, when this engine is used in Fords, Peugeots, Citroens and Volvos uses an Eolys tank to help with regens. This tank needs replenishing every 37500 miles in a Focus and the DPF needs replacing every 75,000 miles according to Fords schedules, presume Mazda is the same thus your car could need a refill or a complete new DPF system.

Edited by skidpan on 19/11/2014 at 12:35