Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - loadsofpugs

A friend hit a kerb burst r/h tyres I replaced the tyres drove the car steering wheel out 45 degrees out. Right hand wheel gap between tyre & wheelarch 2 fingers left hand 3 fingers so I replaced the r/h wishbone but no difference. Can it be a strut or the subframe.

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - RobJP

If they've hit the kerb hard enough to 'burst' two tyres, then it could be anything from shock absorber, subframe, strut, mounting points, steering rack .. the list is endless.

Get it into a proper garage, and get someone professionally competent to look at it. An amateur who doesn't know what to look for = potential deathtrap.

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - Railroad.
A steering geometry check will need to be carried out which includes castor, camber, toe out on turns and king pin inclination (KPI). A wheel alignment check will determine whether or not the front wheels are inline with the rear wheels, as well as being parallel to each other. Sadly if something is wrong it's not always easy or obvious what it is.
Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - loadsofpugs

Sorry you 2 above but you might understand that the lower wisnbone on a Smart is not a job for anyone who is not professional, stating that the wheel is 20mm further back will be a total waste of time & money checking the tracking also with the steering wheel out so far something is bent. I have 25+ years in the trade and have replaced plenty of wishbones after hitting kerbs.

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - The-Mechanic

25 years in the 'trade' hmm ! I can tell by your use of the industry standard of measurement use of the 'finger gap' check in your first post, replaced by the less precise 20mm measurement in your second !!

You ask advice, get two perfectly good answers yet you then dismiss them out of hand with your scathing reply.

Something is obviously bent or out of alignment. If you're not capable of checking it yourself, I would suggest you find someone more 'experienced' to look at it, like a body shop for example.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 19/11/2014 at 07:33

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - skidpan

If you really have 25 years in the Motor Trade you should be able to tell or have the equipment at hand to tell what is wrong. Since you are having to ask its onvious you have no such experience.

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - Robin the Technician

Perhaps his steel tape for checking front/rear wheel centre distances both sides is too short!!

These are the views of Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - galileo

If you really have 25 years in the Motor Trade you should be able to tell or have the equipment at hand to tell what is wrong. Since you are having to ask its onvious you have no such experience.

In your position, I would hope my 'friend' would contribute to your repair costs too.

Smart Roadster - Smart 2003 Wheel Out Of Alignment - Avant

The original poster has asked for one of the posts above to be removed as he doesn't like the advice given.

In the interests of free 'speech' I won't do that, but I will close the thread.

Edited by Avant on 21/11/2014 at 18:35