Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - mcl896b

Hi,

I've got what I hope is a fairly simple issue, however I just want to ask some advice from anyone who miay have been in a similar situation.

On Sat 14 Nov 14, I purchased a second hand car from a second hand car dealer in Essex. The vehicle, a Nissan Pathfinder appeared to be in reasonably good order, and although we did not conduct a test drive, the engine sounded fine (to me as a layperson) for a diesel with 93000 miles on the clock.

The dealer sold me an enhanced warranty that cost me another £400 above the £8000 already paid. We drove the vehicle home, and while the automatic gearbox felt a bit ponderous the vehicle appeared fine. On the following Fri, the vehicle clearly had something drastic wrong with it. On talking to the warranty company, I was informed to get a diagnostic done before they could do anything further.

I took the vehicle for the diagnostic this morning and was shocked to be shown a list of faults, all of which point to the requirement for for a new automatic gearbox and a new radiator. All together with labour, this will cost in excess of £3000. On talking to the warranty company, I have been informed that the maximum single claim is £2000, leaving me some £1000 out of pocket. Given I had the car for less than a week when the problems manifested themselves, and the assurance from the garage who conducted the diagnostic check that this is a problem that the vehicle has had for some time, do I have any legal route for getting the dealer to accept part or all of the remaining bill above what is covered by the warranty?

Although the dealer has not categorically refused to help per se, the impression I get from the one phone call I've had in reply, is that his position is that it's my problem and I should dry my eyes. Ordinarily, I would get on with it and take the pain, but the car has been in possession less than a fortnight, and having paid £8000 for it, i believe it should be fit for purpose!

Any help or hints gratefully received!
Al

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - Palcouk

The dealer sold you a car with existing faults, either he repairs, at his cost, or you reject the car and demand your money back.

Or you have it repaired under warranty and than take a small claim action against the dealer to recover the sum paid by you for the repair.

Right a recorded delivery letter to the dealer stating that you expect him to repair at his cost or refund the monies

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - ssparks2003

I would be formally rejecting the car to the agent you purchased it from in writing unless they are willing to repair at thier expense.

How did you pay for it, if you paid any of the money on either a debit or credit card you may be able to claim under section 75.

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - skidpan

So you bought a car on Saturday 14 November. Saturday was 15 November.

You say that the following Friday the vehicle had something drastically wrong with it, that would be Friday 21 November then.

Problem is today is the 18th November.

Think you need to get your dates correct before doing anything else.

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - Andrew-T

So you bought a car on Saturday 14 November. Saturday was 15 November.

Problem is today is the 18th November.

I also noticed the impossible date, but took the time to work out that the Saturday in question must have been the 1st. No real point in chastising the OP for not spell-checking - it doesn't really affect the story, does it?

Good point, my bad

Car was bought on 8 Nov, problems commenced 14 Nov.

Edited by mcl896b on 18/11/2014 at 16:10

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - skidpan

Good point, my bad.

The last time someone said that to me on the phone was at work and I hung up. Could well have cost their company £1000's. Up until it became fashionable to talk like some total muppet we would say "sorry, my mistake"

Try it, you might enjoy it.

Good point, my bad.

The last time someone said that to me on the phone was at work and I hung up. Could well have cost their company £1000's. Up until it became fashionable to talk like some total muppet we would say "sorry, my mistake"

Terribly sorry that I seem to have offended you by firstly getting some dates confused and then admitting it... Perhaps the following would suffice:

One thousand apologies for my awful mistake, may you forgive my clear lack of intelligence by continuing to be unhelpful and sarcastic.

I assume you have no interest in actually offering any useful advice. Good day, sir.

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - RT

Good point, my bad.

I use that to get an apology over to younger generations - remind me to keep a mental note of posters my age that won't like it.

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - Andrew-T

Good point, my bad.

That just shows how clued-in I am. I just thought the OP had stopped in mid-sentence ... :-)

Nissan Pathfinder - Bought Car, Gearbox failed within 8 days... - Avant

Can we confine ourselves to giving the original poster any constructive advice please.