vw golf 1.6 diesel - dpf - sparky100

Hi, my daughter is thinking of buying a vw golf diesel. But her journeys are mostly about 12-15 miles each way. I know everyone says you need a long run to keep the dpf clean but is it a long journey or the engine temperature that determines if a dpf is kept clean.

She does these trips in rush hour and normally takes about 45 mins, i wondered if this would be enough to warrant a diesel or stay with a petrol. Thanks for any comments. Sparky100.

vw golf 1.6 diesel - dpf - skidpan

My experience of DPF's (a BMW and a Kia) clearly shows that a regen takes place every 250 to 300 miles however you drive the car and takes about 20 minutes to complete. To complete a regen requires you to drive at between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm, if the revs drop too long (like they will when stationary) the regen will stop. After about 3 attempts I am told the engine light will illumunate but have never had it happen in almost 7 years.

My commute is 14 miles each way and takes 30 minutes, regens happen as needed and have time to complete.

But in your daughters case I would buy a petrol. The VAG TSi engine in 1.2 and 1.4 formats is superb in both the Golf and the much cheaper (but no less good) Seat Leon, I have one now myself.

Try one and be surprised. I get 45 mpg. WOuld take years to recoup the extra 2 grand needed to buy the diesel and I have no DPF worries.

vw golf 1.6 diesel - dpf - xtrailman

Or buy an electric car.

vw golf 1.6 diesel - dpf - daveyK_UK

A petrol car would make far more sense for the journey you describe.

vw golf 1.6 diesel - dpf - scot22

Lost count of the times I've put about my expensive error in getting a diesel engine. Using the forums I've become better informed. My personal opinion is I would NEVER buy a diesel unless mileage and motoring justified ( then they are very good )

vw golf 1.6 diesel - dpf - 72 dudes

I agree with skidpan.

If it has to be a Golf, point her in the direction of the 1.2TSi, lovely smooth engine. Even the 85 BHP version will be sufficient for her commute, although the higher powered ones offer extra flexibility.

Alternatively, if she likes the Leon with the same engine, she'll save some money and have one of the best medium hatches around.