Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - Surrey_Scientist

Hi

My Accord 2.4 auto needs a new battery, but hte standrad fit is a pathetic 45Ah for a vehicle with SatNAv, and all electric toys.

Unfortunately the battery box is very small designed for an 075 , and doesnt look like it will take a bigger battery so wondered if it is posible to fit a a diesel battery box from an Accord 2.,2CDTi which would take a bigger capacity battery ?? (these battery trays are cheap from breakers)

There is space between the battery and the wing to take a longer battery, but not space to towards the engine as the auto-dipstick is next to it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for improving the capacity of the battery ?

Most of my driving is at night, its not driven most lof the week, just wekends, and the car is also an auto with all the toys, so quite hungry on power and heavy/hard on thebattery.

Cheers

Edited by Surrey_Scientist on 07/11/2014 at 20:42

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - gordonbennet

Any good? 075 model 60 and 62ah available here, i note the Alphaline 62ah 4 year warranty battery is slightly taller, have found Yuasa batteries to be good, can't comment on Alphaline and its been umpteen years since i bought an Exide.

www.batterymegastore.co.uk/search/quick/

I've bought from these people before, good service.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/11/2014 at 20:53

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - gordonbennet

I note from your links that ECP/CP4L offer Lion and Bosch batteries, never had a Lion but i've had two Bosch's on the old Benz and both have had disappointingly short lives (won't go near one again), i've now fitted a Varta Silver, which it must be said whizzes the engine over far better and still as quick turning over when stood for over a week.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/11/2014 at 21:17

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - elekie&a/c doctor

If you can fit the diesel battery and support box,then go for it.Just make sure there is enough clearance around for various pipework and wiring.Not too sure if you will need to make any alterations to the battery main cables,ie length,as Honda do not seem too generous in this area.

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - Wackyracer

If there is enough room in the battery box to go another 15mm higher you could fit a good quality 027 battery which should give a little more power.

I have an 027 Varta Silver on my diesel and it starts instantly, Even from cold.

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - xtrailman

Personally i think fitting a larger capacity battery is a waste of time.

The alternator provides most of the power not the battery, thats mainly for starting. I started driving with cars fitted with dynamos, where the battery was important, and i even fitted an ammeter to show what the current was and its direction.

I adopted an habit back then of turning all ancillaries off before reaching my destination to put as much back into the battery as possible, i still do that today.

I also have a plug in voltmeter that shows me what voltage the battery is getting.

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - Simon

Is the current battery size actually not up to the job? If it does everything without fail why bother trying to upgrade to a larger capacity battery? If you want to produce more electrical power you really need to upgarde the alternator.

Accord 2.4 Auto 2006 - Increasing battery Capacity/Fitting Bigger battery - Wackyracer

You should look at the specs of the batteries your thinking of buying. Just because a battery has the right code does not mean it is equal to another of the same code. Look at the Ah rate and also the CCA rate.

Better to fit a standard size high quality battery than an oversized poor quality unit, which might not have any better performance in reality.