J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - Trilogy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rkw_N9pNms

He does seem genuine to me.

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - Bolt

He does seem genuine to me.

Yes I agree,Cant say I would have believed Clarkson though,he really gets up my nose

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - daveyK_UK

Its a genuine explanation, the Argentine ambassador is trying to make political mileage out of the situation and also trying to deflect attention from the terrible behaviour of the Argentinean people.

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - groaver

James makes this sound reasonable but what if they chose the car for its plate before they decided it had to be that make and model?

James makes this sound reasonable but what if they chose the car for its plate before they decided it had to be that make and model?

Doubt it. This seems to have been a storm in a tea cup.

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - Ben 10
He's had plenty of time to come up with that excuse. He looked quite embarrassed trying to cover the mistake. They could easily have bought another plate from the DVLA for £250. A complete load of b*****. They wanted it for comedic value during the recording but it backfired on them. And May thinks that nothing can be read into the plate. Don't make me laugh. You take your viewers for mugs mate.
J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - Doc
. They could easily have bought another plate from the DVLA for £250. A complete load of b*****. They wanted it for comedic value during the recording but it backfired on them.

The trouble with that theory is that the car was registered with that number in 1991.

Doc,

So what if it was registered in 1991. You can buy any plate from the DVLA site and put it on any car for at least £250. They just couldn't be bothered. So if they had bought a car with a rude word amongst the letters and numbers they would be justified in having it on the programme? Or would they have changed it to fulfil BBC guidelines. On this occasion IMO they let it ride for effect. You're not telling me that no one amongst the production team with their reams of degrees or High IQs never once looked at that plate and realised the significance, especially where they were about to travel. Come on.

I find it amazing that people get so wound up about a series of numbers and letters on a piece of plastic.

They do not form any words, nor make any statement, good or bad.

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - Armitage Shanks {p}

"You can buy any plate from the DVLA site and put it on any car for at least £250. "

No, you can't.

• www.autocheck.co.uk/images/bullet-red.png) 0% 1px no-repeat;">A number plate should never make a vehicle look newer than it actually is - you cannot put a 55 plate on a 2003 vehicle, but you can put it on a 2008 vehicle.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 01/11/2014 at 18:05

Yes you can. I can pick any number of number plates on offer from DVLA auction site at fixed price and fit them to any vehicle I choose.

Edited by Ben 10 on 01/11/2014 at 18:41

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - csgmart
Yes you can. I can pick any number of number plates on offer from DVLA auction site at fixed price and fit them to any vehicle I choose.

Not ANY car. You can make a new car appear to be older than it is but it is illegal to make an old car look newer than it is.

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - Armitage Shanks {p}

NO you can't. Do you have difficulty understanding the correct information you are being given?

So what is a private plate on a car. Do explain AS?
Conditions for transferring a registration number

You can’t transfer a registration number:

• starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’ for Northern Ireland registered vehicles
  • if it will make the vehicle it’s being transferred to look younger

Both vehicles must be:

• registered with DVLA
  • available for inspection
  • of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle ( HGV ) test certificate

tinyurl.com/abxsptc

Edited by Doc on 01/11/2014 at 20:55

J May on TopGear no. plate Argentina controversy - csgmart
So what is a private plate on a car. Do explain AS?

What do you mean by 'private plate'?

If it's one of the really old plates where there is no age identifier (e.g. ABC 123) that's fine because the plate is older than the car.

What isn't permissable is the following:-

You have a 2002 car. You buy a 'personal' number plate LE 04 MEE for example. You cannot put a 2004 plate on a car that was registered before 2004 as this would make the 2002 car look like it was a 2004 car. Understand now?