Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - Keva

Hi all,

I had an accident this morning on my way to work while driving along a country lane. Hit a patch of wet leaves, the backend spun around and sent me flying into a fence post. I was not going fast and was well within the 30MPH speed limit.

The only damage was my car (which is a write off) and a fence post (which took most of the force) & farm gate.

No other people or cars were involved.

After the accident, I got out and spoke with the lady who owned the gate and agreed to get it sorted ASAP as she needed it for the weekend.

The car has gone to a scrap yard and the parts for the damaged fence are payed for and awaiting installation which will be done on Saturday.

I have also gone and brought myself a new car.. I require it for work so needed a new one.

So the question is, if no claim is being made on this accident, what else am I required to do?

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - pcvpilotmick

If it was me, I wouldn't do anything else. You've arranged, and paid for the damage you caused to be fixed and you have disposed of your written off car. If the owner of the gate is happy with this, then all is well!

No doubt some people will say "you need to inform your insurers" who will probably load next years premium even though you have sorted the damage out a damn sight quicker and cheaper than they would have. I personally wouldn't tell them anything.

Well done for sorting it out so quickly, alot of people wouldn't have bothered.

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - FP

'No doubt some people will say "you need to inform your insurers"... I personally wouldn't tell them anything.'

Hm - dodgy advice.

"One question you may have is whether you are legally required to inform your insurance company about the crash.

The answer is: you need to inform your insurance company as soon as possible after your accident. This applies even in the following circumstances: The accident was not your fault; You have not been injured; There is no damage to your vehicle; You do not intend to make a claim." (from www.legalrequestsolutions.co.uk)

Another legal website says, "Inform your insurance company as soon as possible. If you don’t, it could invalidate your insurance cover..." (from www.lawdonut.co.uk)

Edited by FP on 31/10/2014 at 00:00

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - RT

At next renewal, you will of course need to answer yes to the question - "any accidents, claims or convictions" - so you might as well tell them now.

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - Ordovices

Claim you did it on purpose, then it wouldn't be an accident ;)

I had a no claim accident, which I reported just before my renewal. The next years premium was duly loaded, however, when the insurance company were satisfied that there was no further action required they refunded the extra I had paid reducing that years premium to what it had been for renewal.

Company is LV. Duty done, conscience clear.

Edited by Ordovices on 31/10/2014 at 09:52

Claim you did it on purpose, then it wouldn't be an accident .

Car crashes are never "accidental", they're always someone's fault.

1. Who said accidental? You put it in quotes following my post, as though I had said it.

2. A car crash can be an accident. You seem to be confusing the occurrence with the responsibility for that occurrrence. A car crash may have a person at fault, but that doesn't mean it was intentional, it may have been "just an accident". eg I didn't intend to smash that decanter full of maderia, maybe it was a bad idea bringing it downstairs whilst wearing roller skates. Oh well accidents will happen.

3. Not a good idea to post if you're tired and emotional..

1. Who said accidental? You put it in quotes following my post, as though I had said it.

2. A car crash can be an accident. You seem to be confusing the occurrence with the responsibility for that occurrrence. A car crash may have a person at fault, but that doesn't mean it was intentional, it may have been "just an accident". eg I didn't intend to smash that decanter full of maderia, maybe it was a bad idea bringing it downstairs whilst wearing roller skates. Oh well accidents will happen.

3. Not a good idea to post if you're tired and emotional..

I was referring to your use of accident in your post.

Crashes are never just "accidents" - it's down to the dictionary definition of the word - it's why the emergency services no longer respond to RTAs (road traffic accidents), having seen the incorrect use of the word they respond to RTIs (road traffic incidents) - I know it's pedantic but the sooner everyone accepts there's no such thing as an "accident" the better.

Edited by RT on 02/11/2014 at 09:34

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - dacouch

As I mentioned in the eyes of an Insurer in respect of liability for an accident and in respect of the civil courts there certainly are accidents.

It's possible for a driver to career off the road into a bus stop full of people and the driver and Insurer not being liable for the property damage and injury damage. The injured parties could receive precisely zero compensation.

As I mentioned a relatively rare occurance but it's certainly possible in law nad happens a lot more than you expect

the sooner everyone accepts there's no such thing as an "accident" the better.

Then why is there a word for it?

"it's down to the dictionary definition of the word "

My point exactly, so I've rather pedantically included it:

An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury

A crash involving road or other vehicles:

therefore, unless it is intentional, it could be an accident.

Edited by Ordovices on 05/11/2014 at 20:32

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - dacouch

There are a few different (Relatively rare) reasons where an accident would not be your fault when it comes to insurance liability where you have hit what most people would class to be an innocent party

In such a case in would be classed as an accident and the innocent party would not be able to recover their losses

Edited by dacouch on 01/11/2014 at 22:14

Peugeot 206 - Car accident - No other parties involved - Andrew-T

If it was me, I wouldn't do anything else.

Nor would I. I recently suffered a 180° spin on a road I have driven in the same way many times before, resulting in damage to the fore and aft nearside bumper corners. I put it down to light rainfall after several dry days, a spillage of diesel or chainsaw oil where trees had recently been taken down, fallen leaves, or all three. No other vehicles were anywhere near, and no other property was affected (I hit the roadside crash barrier). The car was still driveable and has been checked over and declared intact. It will cost a few £100 to put right to my satisfaction, but I see no point in involving insurance.