Low Tax band - BigNorm
**Forgive me is this is a well answered thread - it's my first post and my IPad is making it very hard to search and even type!**

For work reasons, I've just moved my young family from Northern Ireland [UK] to Dublin Ireland (ROI). Unfortunately, due to high emissions ratings, I feel forced to sell my lovely and very reliable 2005 Volvo V70 D5 as I am unprepared to pay approx €1000 on import tax, and a further €1000 on road tax, not to mention VRT test fees. :(

Consequently, as a charity worker in a very expensive city, I am now on the hunt and engaging in detailed research on how I can make a good value purchase on a cost-effective to run "family car" (estate or MPV/SUV) with no greater than "Band C". Budget around £5000 equivalent.

I feel daunted at this task and write to ask Honest John and its forum posters for any felt tips advice and help on this matter. Support greatly appreciated. So far I seem to have established that:

1. I will get more £/€ for my Volvo selling in N.Ireland / UK (because my V70 2.4 D5 costs €1034 annual tax in ROI, making it an unpopular choice for most families, particularly living in Dublin area)

2. That I need either an
a. post 2008 vehicle with no greater than tax 'Band C' - equivalent of €390 annual car tax

or

b. a pre 2008 vehicle with an engine size no greater than 1.5L* - equivalent of €413 annual car tax

*some research is flagging up the old debate in favour of buying a petrol. Again, any well-researched comments on this welcome.

3. I might be better to import the right car from UK/N.Ireland to save money.

Many thanks in advance.
Norm

Irish motor tax bands here: www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTa.../

www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTa.../

mywheels.ie/motor-tax-rates-ireland/
Low Tax band - Avant

Sorry you haven't had any replies so far, Norm: probably most of us don't know enough about the Irish tax system to be of any help to you.

Anyone with knowledge out there?

Low Tax band - BigNorm
No worries.

As they say on Crimewatch "Someone might know something"....