Ford Mondeo - Unleaded - Smell of fumes/exhaust inside the car - Linda A

For the last 3 days I have smelt a kind of fumes/exhaust like smell inside my car. I took it to a ford garage and they were not sure about it. They said to put the car air flow button onto 'inside car air flow only' to see if this stops the smell inside my car. I have also been told by another garage that I need to glue down the gear box panel as fumes from the exhaust may be coming through there. But when I told the Ford garage about this, they said that fumes cannot get into the car as the under carraige of the car is covered so as to not allow fumes to get into the car. I am really confused as to what may be causing this, as it is giving me a slight headache and I have to open both front windows even when its raining. And I dont want to have to pay a fortune for a (hopefully) simple fault to be put right. Any advice would be really appreciated. Ty :)

Edited by Linda A on 29/10/2014 at 11:51

Ford Mondeo - Unleaded - Smell of fumes/exhaust inside the car - madf

And the car age is?

Usually boot seals ...

Thank you for your reply. The car is 9 yrs old.

Ford Mondeo - Unleaded - Smell of fumes/exhaust inside the car - Bolt

Have the boot lid/tailgate seal checked for splits/damage,if its ok its possible the boot lid/tailgate needs adjusting to close tighter

Ford Mondeo - Unleaded - Smell of fumes/exhaust inside the car - elekie&a/c doctor
Any leaks on the exhaust system?Also get the cabin air exit flaps checked.they are located behind the rear bumper.

I took the car into the Ford garage this morning for them to have a look etc I gave them all the info (thank you so much for that :) ) I have been told that they checked all possibilities and found that the cars Ignition coil needs to be replaced, the mechanic asked me does the car judder while driving etc I said it did, I didnt realise this would be connected to the smell inside the car......hopefully....hopefully....they are going to replace the ignition coil (whatever that is) on Monday and all should be ok according to them. I asked for an estimate and was told that the replacement will cost around £170, and they would add on labour. I will let you know how this goes once the job has been done. Ty for all your advice :)

Ford Mondeo - Unleaded - Smell of fumes/exhaust inside the car - Big John

If the cars ignition coil (coils) need repacing then you will have had unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust - hence the smell. Change the coils ASAP.

One thing to watch for in the future - the unburnt fuel could have damaged the catalyst and may fail a future MOT. Usually fairly cheap to replace these days though.

Edited by Big John on 31/10/2014 at 23:11

Thank you for all your advice....it was all really helpfull :) I collected the car today after they had replaced the ignition coil and what an amazing difference to my car. It drove very smoothly. What a relief and peace of mind.. The whole cost of the job at the garage was £130, which I was happy to pay for the great result I got and the peace of mind. I also want to add that this site is a great site and you give and do a great job here. Ty :) :)

I forgot to mention ....that the smell of fumes and oily smell inside the car has now gone too ;)