Driving at unacceptable speeds - Trilogy

This evening a car was being driven at 38-45 mph on an 'A' road in Suffolk. This speed continued through 30 mph villages. The driver was probably totally oblivious that their action was holding up many other other drivers over several miles. Earlier on there was a VW camper van doing the same thing.

Perhaps this driver should hand in their driving licence. Do other feel this kind of driving is unacceptable and should be eliminated from our roads?

Driving at unacceptable speeds - gordonbennet

If only, you've just described a huge number of drivers of identikit little hatchbacks all around Northants in broad daylight in good warm dry conditions, if the incompetent's handed their licences in the roads would be deserted.

Much of the problem in the dark is that people seem unable to find the main beam switch when possible to use, sometimes these mimsers have impossibly low set dipped beams set to barely a couple of strides ahead of the car, or you get the other type who leave main beam on continually, day and night.

You should hear SWMBO when these hatchbacks cause walking pace mayhem, if they happen to be driven by women (i make no comment here) she's doubly annoyed, and has oft suggested to some that they should re-chain themsleves back to the sink.

When she comes across the same mentality traffic jam for no reason in the supermarket isle, she's been heard to mutter (loudly) just imagine it behind a steering wheel.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/10/2014 at 19:58

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Manatee

I do actually. Can't think of any excuse for them.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Smileyman

I'm not following your message - is it that someone drove at 38-45 steady in a road irrespective of the limit, be it 30 in an urban area or 60 in a rural area?

This is excessive speeding (45 is 50% above the limit) in an urban area and failing to make due progress in a rural area. Such slow speed is likely to frustrate other drivers to the point where someone will overtake when they should not and cause a head on crash with an on-coming vehicle. No doubt the slow driver will tut tut as they drive past, when in fact they are the cause of the accident.

No they should not hand in their licences, they should drive safely at appropriate speeds for their vehicles and with due considerartion for other road users, or be prosecuted for failing to do so. Pity speed camers don't work on slow drivers. Time for enforcable minimum speeds.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - focussed

It must be an East Anglian thing - when I lived in Norfolk there was a type of driver who was only happy at 43 mph, everywhere, whatever the speed limit, through villages, out the other side in the 60 limit, still doing 43 mph oblivious to anything or anybody else on the road. I think the only explanation is that 43mph is the speed they feel happy doing, so they do it everywhere.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - brum

Glad to see the backroom police are on the case....

Now for that stiff letter written on cardboard.....;)

Driving at unacceptable speeds - skidpan

The 45 mph everywhere driver exists in all parts of the country. They clearly are unable to read the signs or understand them. How they avoid points is the part that is difficult to understand, unless they slow down only for cameras.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - jc2

You're missing out the ones who drive slowly in the country and speed up when they get to the "thirty" limit !

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Bolt

The 45 mph everywhere driver exists in all parts of the country. They clearly are unable to read the signs or understand them. How they avoid points is the part that is difficult to understand, unless they slow down only for cameras.

Certainly do, though i`m not sure a lot of these speed cameras are working in my area as plenty of drivers go past at more than speed limit without them going off and our local ones are Gatso`s

A lot of slow drivers around my way seem to drive big engined cars poodling up the road doing 20mph and stop for almost anything,mostly to let pedestrians across the road or to overtake parked cars where there is plenty of room for 2 cars

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Wackyracer

When I questioned one elderly driver who was a 43mph everywhere driver, She said "how am I supposed to know what the speed is"? I think that just about sums it up. Probably took her test in 1968 and has never looked at a copy of the highway code since, Couple that with failing eyesight and you have the answer.

The best one I had in East Anglia was an old woman in a Polo who did 25mph for the whole distance I was stuck behind her, That included about 5 miles on a national speed limit single carriageway of which was so busy at that time of day that I could not safely overtaker her.

If I ever get like this, I hope someone takes my keys away.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - RT

When I questioned one elderly driver who was a 43mph everywhere driver, She said "how am I supposed to know what the speed is"? I think that just about sums it up. Probably took her test in 1968 and has never looked at a copy of the highway code since, Couple that with failing eyesight and you have the answer.

The best one I had in East Anglia was an old woman in a Polo who did 25mph for the whole distance I was stuck behind her, That included about 5 miles on a national speed limit single carriageway of which was so busy at that time of day that I could not safely overtaker her.

If I ever get like this, I hope someone takes my keys away.

If I ever got like that, I hope that I'd realise that time needed calling.

I regard it as a matter of pride that I expect to know myself well enough to know when the time to stop driving occurs - but my son has strict instructions to over-rule me before then if he think's it's appropriate!

Driving at unacceptable speeds - galileo

This year I had the "elderly driver assessment " from the IAM, then took and passed their advanced driving test.

The guy who coached me for the test said it was always easier to get a fast driver to slow down for the test than to get a slow driver to 'make proper progress'.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - xtrailman

Whats the problem with doing 45mph in a sixty limit?

The limits are maximums not targets to aim for, i regularly tow at that speed although i could go to 50mph if i wanted.

if you can't overtake then get a car with more poke, or slow down. I suspect some of you are the typical tailgaters?

The limits are maximums not targets to aim for, i regularly tow at that speed although i could go to 50mph if i wanted.

if you can't overtake then get a car with more poke, or slow down. I suspect some of you are the typical tailgaters?

I'm not a tailgater! but, If I'm stuck behind a person mimseying along. I get people tailgating me!

If there is a continuous stream of traffic coming the other way on a single carriageway it is just not possible to overtake with any car regardless of how much 'poke' it may have.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Eddy56

for every 45mph cruiser I see on local national limit B roads (east Kent) I see five drivers who think maintaining at least 60mph at all times is the absolute goal, regardless of the road and conditions. I'd take being stuck behind the 45 mph cruiser every time over some over-sized SUV flying towards me at 60 on a narrow bend. Sadly, I see far more of the latter than the former.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - alan1302

You should do the speed that is right for the conditions. So if you could do 50mph then that is what you should be doing rather than intentionally holding people up.

I'm certainly not a tailgater but at all times you should be making best progress based on road conditions other wise you are part fo the problem on the roads.

Whilst people who do 45 mph in a 60 mph zone when conditions are good are annoying enough there are some who do 45 mph in such areas but are most unhappy when you overtake them. I have had some who close the gap to prevent you getting in, some who honk and flash like you have done something wrong and some who tailgate you simply because you have overtaken them.

Its especially bad in summer on a nice Sunday morning and evening when families have been on sea side visits.

Those drivers need taking off the road. OK, drive at 45 mph but don't get upset and impede those who wish to drive at higher but still safe and legal speeds.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Cyd

Whilst people who do 45 mph in a 60 mph zone when conditions are good are annoying enough there are some who do 45 mph in such areas but are most unhappy when you overtake them. I have had some who close the gap to prevent you getting in, some who honk and flash like you have done something wrong and some who tailgate you simply because you have overtaken them.

Its especially bad in summer on a nice Sunday morning and evening when families have been on sea side visits.

Those drivers need taking off the road. OK, drive at 45 mph but don't get upset and impede those who wish to drive at higher but still safe and legal speeds.

Had one of those this morning. On my way from Lutterworth to Gaydon each morning along the Fosse Way, I usually come upon a new Freelander doing a consistant 45-48, won't go any quicker along clear lanes, but carries on at that speed through the villages. Today I caught him (her?) near Bretford. Once past the turn for Wolsten the road was clear ahead for about 1/4 mile - in third gear (with 360Nm at my disposal) I was past in about 50m and didn't pull back in till there was about 3 car lengths by which time the gap between us was opening at a relative speed of about +35mph. Grade A1 pr@t in my book.

Further down the Fosse, even the Gaydon-bound coaches do 50 or so along most stretches and I'm quite happy to sit in behind them in the queue (it gets progressively busier as you approach Gaydon). But there's no excuse for holding up others needlessly on relatively clear and straight roads.

B***dy inconsiderate, especially as it is road safe enough to do 60 mph in most places. This was at going home time, so you would only overetake if you wanted to kill yourself, and the inconsiderate so and so ended up with a queue of many vehicles behind. Quite clearly of driver totally unaware of their impact on others.

Edited by Trilogy on 28/10/2014 at 13:52

Driving at unacceptable speeds - xtrailman

I'm sure he was quite aware but was exercising his right to drive at a speed to suit him.

Caravans are limited to 50mph on single roads, some lorries are also limited for various reasons, i suppose they also upset you.

You should have been behind a wheel when we could actually enjoy driving at speed, thats all in the past now so get use to it, i've seen to many "drivers" speed past a convoy only to be found at the tail end of another.

Edited by xtrailman on 28/10/2014 at 14:22

On some roads I drive on there are clear signs telling you to pull over and let others past if there is a queue behind you. But you still get those that ignore them.

Lorries are limited not only by the law but also by their weight and size. In most cases the drivers are professional and allow others to pass, in some cases they indicate when its safe to do so.

Overtaking is a skill most road users appear to have lost or have never learned. They are happy in most cases to drive along in a 45 mph snake even when its safe to get a move on.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - 72 dudes

Overtaking is a skill most road users appear to have lost or have never learned. They are happy in most cases to drive along in a 45 mph snake even when its safe to get a move on.

Exactly skidpan. So you have an inconsiderate driver followed by a incompetant driver, but both get upset if you perform a safe overtake.

A134 yesterday, I caught up with 3 cars. The two in front of me proceeded to overtake the third one at the front. As I closed in on the overtaken car, I noticed his speed was 50 MPH. I wondered briefly why the other two had overtaken, as 50 MPH on that stretch of road is making reasonable progress. Within 200 metres I had my answer: For no reason he was back down to 40 MPH and had only sped up to 50 MPH while the other two cars were overtaking him!! Sheer b*****-mindedness on his part. I overtook safely at the next opportunity. Older chap in a Renault Modus.

I'm sure he was quite aware but was exercising his right to drive at a speed to suit him.

Caravans are limited to 50mph on single roads, some lorries are also limited for various reasons, i suppose they also upset you.

You should have been behind a wheel when we could actually enjoy driving at speed, thats all in the past now so get use to it, i've seen to many "drivers" speed past a convoy only to be found at the tail end of another.

Years ago, when I used to tow for work (not towed since), I would always let others by whenever I could just like my late father did. Fortunately there are some considerate motorists just like some others who have posted here. xtrailman, are you one of those? Or do you exercise what you consider to be a right to inconvenience others?

People mantaining good progress in relation to the limits imposed on their vehicles do not upset me e.g. the Morrisons HGV that drive along the same road at 40 mph.

38-45 mph is down right selfish for a car without anything being towed. You seem to think holding up the majority is quite acceptable.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - bathtub tom

I've towed and as soon as I notice a queue forming behind, I'd dive into the first lay-by I come across.

How many do that nowadays?

Driving at unacceptable speeds - peterb

Seen on another website today....

"[technology for old people to ensure that....] the car moves at 40mph regardless of gear, gradient or presence of small children bouncing off the bonnet. NSL? 40. Entering a motorway in front of a convoy of lorries laden with munitions? 40. Outside a school at 08:40 on a rainy Tuesday? 40. Attempting to reverse out of a parking space while in 1st gear, shooting forward and demolishing a shop window? Marginally faster than 39mph.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - jc2

Remember the saying "It's number two who makes the queue".

Driving at unacceptable speeds - bananastand

I'm pretty sure this is covered in the Highway Code (CBA looking it up). There was a case of a combined harvester driver who caused a huge queue and ignored the chance to pull in to let them pass. He got a fine and points.

I tow a caravan and always pull over to let a queue past if I can.

I've mentioned this in posts long forgotten but once I was on the A66 and late for work. A huge horsebox was causing the mother of all queues and refusing to pull over. When I did overtake I gve them a blast of my super-loud horn that I'd had fitted, in a cruel attempt to make the horses go mad. Sorry, all you horse lovers out there.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - memyself-aye

They do it differently in the United States.

Two weeks ago I was passed by a four X four travelling at 75MPH on the two lane Interstate in Arizona. He was towing a large trailer. On the trailer was a large powerboat. Overthere it is common for even the big rigs to travel at 70+ mph. No 'limited to 40/55 mph' nonesense.

Never saw anyone driving stupidly slowly, possibly because the main highways have a minimum speed limit posted.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Smileyman

I like the last comment - 'minimum speed llimit posted'

However I'm not so sure about the speed issue, in the past whilst driving in the Vancouver area I recall signs telling motorists to keep right unless overtaking, seems the American drivers would stick to their lanes irrespective of speed.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Ed V

The principle here seems to relate to a single road failing to cater for the diversity of drivers. Pedestrians also make choices about their speed, but it is usually easy to walk at the speed each person wants by overtaking etc.

Rightly or wrongly, those who see speed limits not as a maximum but as the minimum too, probably are the majority, especially those working, and usually younger than 55 or so.

Tolerance and consideration.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Bolt

(Tolerance and consideration)

Yes I remember them,but dont remember what happened to them,a lot of drivers only see in their own space,no one else exists

Rightly or wrongly, those who see speed limits not as a maximum but as the minimum too, probably are the majority, especially those working, and usually younger than 55 or so.

Lets look at it another way, If you were on a driving test and did 40mph on a NSL single carriageway, Your very likely to be marked down for failing to make progress.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Avant

As a point of interest, do driving tests ever get out of town far enough to include NSL roads? Mine didn't, and that was in 1966: towns and cities are bigger than they were then.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - bathtub tom

As a point of interest, do driving tests ever get out of town far enough to include NSL roads? Mine didn't, and that was in 1966: towns and cities are bigger than they were then.

Things have moved on since then. Even I know (took my test in '65) that nowadays the test includes at least one section of road that isn't restricted to 30 MPH.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Bobbin Threadbare
The ones that bug me are the mono-speeders. They all seem to live in north Lancs. It is pure ignorance. The A6 into Lancaster is a case in point. It varies between 40mph and 50mph and then drops to 30mph as you enter the city. The number of drivers who do 35mph the whole way boggles me. There is an overwhelming number of signs to tell you the limit too.

The only place I've ever seen a minimum speed limit posted is the Mersey tunnel. You're not allowed to do less than 10mph!
The ones that bug me are the mono-speeders.

I followed one today, 43mph in the NSL section and then still 43mph through the village with a school, Two large yellow boards with 30 signs and also another electronic sign that flashes up with "30mph Slow Down" if your going faster than 30.

The ones that bug me are the mono-speeders.

I followed one today, 43mph in the NSL section and then still 43mph through the village with a school, Two large yellow boards with 30 signs and also another electronic sign that flashes up with "30mph Slow Down" if your going faster than 30.

These drivers need to be removed from our roads.

Lets look at it another way, If you were on a driving test and did 40mph on a NSL single carriageway, Your very likely to be marked down for failing to make progress.

Very true, and if they were to do this on their Advanced Test, they would definitely be in for some sound words of advice on making reasonable progress. They would also not pass the test.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Ordovices

So driver A is doing 45 mph in a 60 zone.

Driver B is behind.

Solution:

Driver B passes driver A. If driver B can't pass because of oncoming traffic, how is that driver A's fault? If they can't pass because the road has bends and hills, how is that driver A's fault? If they can't pass because they don't have enough power, bottle, skill etc, how is that driver A's fault?

If they take an unnecessary and ill judged risk to pass, whose fault is that?

Driver B is behind.

Solution:

Driver B passes driver A. If driver B can't pass because of oncoming traffic, how is that driver A's fault? If they can't pass because the road has bends and hills, how is that driver A's fault? If they can't pass because they don't have enough power, bottle, skill etc, how is that driver A's fault?

But if driver A was doing 60 mph driver B would not need to overtake.

Driver B is behind.

Solution:

But if driver A was doing 60 mph driver B would not need to overtake.

On the A140 at rush hour time you'll hardly ever get an opportunity to pass, even though it is Roman road, unless you want a head on collision! The most annoying aspect of these slow drivers is they inconvenience people who CAN drive up to 60mph and SLOW down to 30 mph for those limits. Sadly, the 38-45mph driver usually maintains this speed for 30 mph limits therefore leaving law abiding citizens behind and frustrating them. Speeding by 25-40% in these limits is so dangerous, but these people are in their own bubble, totally oblivious to the danger.

Totally agree skidpan with your sentence. Some think inconveniencing the majority and ruining good traffic flow is acceptable.

For those who want to go at 45 mph hitch a ride with a Morrisons HGV or get the bus.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - HandCart

>>"But if driver A was doing 60 mph driver B would not need to overtake."

If A was in a Vauxhall and B was in an Audi or BMW, he would.

>>"But if driver A was doing 60 mph driver B would not need to overtake."

If A was in a Vauxhall and B was in an Audi or BMW, he would.

HandCart. Also happens the other way round, if Vauxhall driver has an inferiority complex. That would never happen with white Skoda Octavia VRs driver. :)

You mean the Vaux driver wouldn't bother overtaking the VRs?

No I, er, HE, wouldn't. Because he'd be giving the VRs driver a nod of acknowledgement that he made a considered choice of car instead of just following the SUPeriority-complex herd.

There has to be a speed BELOW the speed limit, or BELOW the maximum safe speed for the road, which is acceptable - speed limits are limits, not targets - not all drivers are in a hurry.

So just how much slower is acceptable? Remembering that car drivers may get slowed down by other classes of vehicle travelling at their speed limit - as well as slower car drivers.

RT, it is really about maintaining good progress and maintaining traffic flow within the conditions and limits. The road I'm referring to in the first post is one where good progress can be made quite safely on most stretches, so no excuse for 38-45 mph car driver not to make progress that evening. No one was in front of him/her/it. If people are going to drive 35% less than limit they should let others by when a queue develops. I would, if I drove that slowly.

RT, it is really about maintaining good progress and maintaining traffic flow within the conditions and limits. The road I'm referring to in the first post is one where good progress can be made quite safely on most stretches, so no excuse for 38-45 mph car driver not to make progress that evening. No one was in front of him/her/it. If people are going to drive 35% less than limit they should let others by when a queue develops. I would, if I drove that slowly.

I totally agree that some speeds are unacceptably low - but what constitutes acceptable?

I'm aware when towing my caravan on single carriageway roads that I do hold up some car drivers, because I'm subject to a lower limit than they are - I don't pull over and let faster traffic pass because on too many occasions I've moved left and indicated left to encourage overtaking when it's clear but no-one bothers.

I take the view, like Lewis Hamilton, that if you want to overtake going faster than me that's fine, but don't expect me to slow down to let you past. I think that car drivers, limited to 60mph in such conditions would find the same approach as mine from HGV drivers, limited to 40mph.

So having established that some drivers aren't permitted to exceed 40mph, what's wrong with a car dawdling at 45mph?

I take the view, like Lewis Hamilton, that if you want to overtake going faster than me that's fine, but don't expect me to slow down to let you past.

However, the Highway Code (a little known publication that some drivers have been known to use as a sort of reference book) says

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

And the answers to the questions are.....?

Driving at unacceptable speeds - alan1302

Driver B is behind.

Solution:

If driver A is not making the best progress for the conditions then he is at fault as if the road is clear and it is safe to do 60mph then that is what he is meant to do. That is why driver A is at fault.

I am surprised how many people on a car fourm don't understand.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - dan86

This morning on the way to Heathrow airport I decided to go via the m25 as I thought save going through town make my life a bit easier with what should be less congestion (5am) for most of the journey was no problem flowed fine doing 65-70 mph. But at one stretch with 4 lanes jusy befor Clacket lane services you had one lorry in lane one going as fast as hes limiter would allow, lane two ypu have a van doing exactly the same speed as lorry in lane one (couldn't he have just sat behind or gone in front and done that speed?) In lane three you have another lorry gong just a fraction after than the vehicles in lane one and two.

This ment every one who wanted to make reasonable progress had to get in to lane four to over. Only problem being is you had all the Audi, BMW and mercedes drivers doing 90+ who won't let you over this hapoend for nearly 10 miles these three people all wanting to travel side by side. It's only a milde annoyance but why do people have to be so inconsiderate?

>>"that is what he is meant to do"

He's not 'meant' to do 60mph - as others have already pointed out, that's the limit, not a target.

He's not doing anything illegal; it all hinges on just how slow he's going, and whether he's holding you up for more than an insignificant period of time.

On any particular 60 mph road, a lorry may be restricted to - what is it, 40 or 45 mph. If you want to go faster, you'll have to overtake the lorry. And if you're capable of overtaking an artic lorry doing 40-45, then it ought to be no big issue for you to overtake a (much shorter) car doing 45 mph, should it.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - madf

I think you all miss the point. Drivers in their 70s and 80s who are still fit to drive WILL drive slower as their reflexes are slower.

Period.

End of debate.

If you want them to drive faster they will kill people. And if you don't want them to drive at all, pay more taxes.(so they can be driven by others)

I write as a non geriatric OAP who swears at slow drivers and then feels better and calms down...

Edited by madf on 31/10/2014 at 15:38

Driving at unacceptable speeds - galileo

I'm almost 72, I don't drive slower, I anticipate hazards ahead and allow adequate stopping distance to take account of slower reflexes.

I agree many older drivers dawdle, (maybe due to poor eyesight as well as other issues) there are in my opinion more problems due to incompetent /inconsiderate/aggressive drivers of all ages.

This includes tailgaters, slow creepers, those who don't use indicators, those who don't know they have headlamps on full beam (or badly adjusted) and the truckers who form moving roadblocks when overtaking.

(Regarding the latter, a 100 mile trip at 56 mph takes 107 minutes. At 55.5 mph it takes 108 minutes. Assuming the faster truck stops for red lights, two of those will use that minute, any smaller speed margin give less advantage and causes more delay to other users.)

Forgot to mention, car A has an old lady passenger with osteogenesis imperfecta.

Who are you to judge what is best progress?

Meant to do....where the hell does that come from?

Road is safe and clear sounds awfully subjective?

I am surprised how many people on a car fourm don't understand nail, head, contact!

These people might be old, but the fact they carry on at the same speed through 30 mph limits tells us they shouldn't be on roads.

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Sofa Spud

If I'm on a road where the limit is 60, I'm much less bothered by being behind a car doing 45 than by the car following 3 feet behind me whose driver wants to be doing 75 mph.

People who drive too fast are much more of a menace on our roads than people who drive too slow.

If I'm on a road where the limit is 60, I'm much less bothered by being behind a car doing 45 than by the car following 3 feet behind me whose driver wants to be doing 75 mph.

People who drive too fast are much more of a menace on our roads than people who drive too slow.

Probably true, but the thread is more about people who want to drive at upto 60 MPH in order to make good progress being prevented from doing so by the 38-45 MPH freak.

People who drive 'too fast' are a menace, but the slower driver can also cause much frustration. It's when this frustration results in dangerous overtaking and inappropriate speed that accidents happen.

So yes, care and consideration for other road users works both ways.

Edited by 72 dudes on 01/11/2014 at 12:35

Driving at unacceptable speeds - mdevil3

i think the original point of this thread was about those who wish to drive at 40-50mph believing they are driving safely all the while continuing that speed in a 30mph zone. is that still safe?

also slightly off topic but have you ever noticed those driving 'safely' at 40 on a 60 are too busy looking around at the scenery rather than the road ahead?

If they're going slow, perhaps they're hypermiling !

Just reading in the latest edition of Aut0c4r about the "MPG Marathon" - the winners got 97.92 mpg from a 1.6 diesel Honda Civic estate.

;-)

Driving at unacceptable speeds - Bilboman

This type of driver is also likely to stay in the same gear (fourth), the same lane (middle!) and with the same level of lighting (sidelights - day or night - throughout the summer, changing to reassuring foglights and main beam the rest of the year). I'd hazard a guess at the same radio station at the same volume. Seasonal variations in weather such as rainfall are likely to be dealt with by switching wipers on at fastest speed, leaving them running a good twenty minutes after the shower has passed.