2004 Ford Fusion 1.4 Tdci - Squeal when lights are turned on - siobhans-dad

Hi. When I turn my lights on there is a squeal, usually goes within a minute . . . . took it to a garage and they said the alternator was squealing . . . so got them to put new one on with new belt . . . Unfortunately the noise is still there. The noise does seem to be coming from the alternator area . . . anyone had this problem before? Any ideas would be helpful

2004 Ford Fusion 1.4 Tdci - Squeal when lights are turned on - skidpan

Alternator belt normally. Dust the pulleys with talc was an old trick to stop it.

Not normally the alternator itself, they rumble when the bearings are rogered.

2004 Ford Fusion 1.4 Tdci - Squeal when lights are turned on - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

And how much did they charge you for this complete failure to clear a simple fault? A replacement alternator can cost well over a hundred pounds and, as Skidpan says, they don't 'sqeal'! Mostly these Ford alternators fail quietly when the brushes finally wear through the commutator. Simply taking the belt off and spinning the alternator by hand should have told them if that was the fault. I let the local Auto Electical chap fix mine, which wore out at 170K miles, and he charged me forty quid for fitting a new rotor and brush pack. The bearings were still good at that milage. So - to your problem... You say that they put a new auxiliary belt on (another twenty quid) and still, when you put a bit of load on by turning on the lights, you get the squeal. Well - it's got to be the auxiliary belt, or something nasty on one of the pulleys, or the idler pulley loose (but the bolt holding the idler pulley also holds the alternator, so that should have been replaced correctly). Or the crankshaft pulley starting to fail (metal coming away from the rubber). You need to find another garage, methinks! --- It's not the power steering pump is it? You have checked the fluid level?

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the power steering fluid and its fine. I think you are right. It must be a pulley. So a visit to another garage to get the pulleys checked is my next move.

2004 Ford Fusion 1.4 Tdci - Squeal when lights are turned on - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Find a garage with an older (and therefore wiser) mechanic, or:-

Jack up the front off side and remove the road wheel. Also remove the nearside headlight for better access to the auxiliary belt. Support on axle stands. Send Siobhan under to unscrew the two (or is it three?) cross-headed screws holding the black plastic aux belt protective guard cover. You don't have to take the auxiliary belt off (though if you do it's quite simple to replace). Use a long 14mm ring spanner to swing the sprung tensioner wheel away from the belt, and holding it away, try twiddling the idler pulley. It shouldn't have any front-to-back movement at all. If it has, it'll squeal on start-up then go quiet as it gets hot and expands. If it's been left loose by the incompetents who have just ripped you off, then tighten it with a 16mm or 5/8" AF ring spanner. I know this because I didn't tighten mine up properly and twisted my knee when I had to get back under. The term 'incompetent' applies. Inspect the crankshaft pulley to see if there's any rubbery bits sticking out of the circle half-way out from the centre. It's a damper pulley with an inner and outer part bonded by rubber. They don't (usually) fail in a way which will cause your squeal. Twiddle the power steering pump's pulley and see if there's any play. Twiddle the tensioner pulley before letting it back onto the belt. Check all the grooved pulleys for any foreign substances. Ensure that the belt is correctly positioned on all grooved pulleys. Replace the black plastic guard and refit the air-con hose to it (held by three small tie-wraps if the car has air-con).

Incidentally, if the car does have air-con, then taking the alternator out of the engine bay is a nightmare and an expensive labour charge.... Without an air-con compressor, the alternator will drop down and out, but with a compressor in the way, you have to dismantly a power steering pipe (some mechanics take the pump off) and move lots of other bits, including bending the dip-stick pipe to one side, before the alternator can be lifted up and out. You also have to unscrew the battery-lead connector from the side of the alternator (just a nut and an insulated torque-head screw).

Fixed it . . . . . the adjustment motor inside the offside head light . . . . . simple to diagnose . . . . . just turn the lights on without engine running and hey presto . . . . same noise . . . . unplug motor and noise is gone. . . .

I feel happy I found the problem but upset I forked out for a new alternator and belt . . . will not be recommending those idiots in the garage

An unusual fault! But the 'professional' mechanics should have spotted that easily - and ripped you off for a brand new headlight which you could have got for half the price off e-Bay! And it's not stopping the car running, so there's no desperate need to fix it immediately..

2004 Ford Fusion 1.4 Tdci - Squeal when lights are turned on - Simon

I don't see how a headlight automatic adjuster can make a noise that would ever resemble a belt squeal???