Keyless entry and ignition systems - brum

Never understood why anyone wants such a complex, pricey, unreliable and now, insecure alternative to the traditional key.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2809038/Insurance...l

Keyless entry and ignition systems - hillman

The advances in technology are sometimes aimed at those who buy the latest just to 'have' it. Sometimes the latest technology can make driving hazardous. An example is the 'touch screen' controls. Does one have to pull over to the kerb while operating them ? Surely they are a distraction.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - colinh

"...insecure alternative to the traditional key...."

Are you saying that cars with key ignition are secure?

Keyless entry and ignition systems - gordonbennet

Can understand the new car buyer/user, especially if someone else is paying ie company car, wanting the toys, in most cases they'll be offloading the thing when or before warranty expires.

What i can't fathom is why used buyers seem to want the top of the range model festooned with such things too.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Manatee

"...insecure alternative to the traditional key...."

Are you saying that cars with key ignition are secure?

It's not the mechanical lock that makes it secure. It's the programmed-to immobiliser chip in the key. Most such cars are now very difficult to drive away unless the key is present, hence the number of thefts preceded by a house burglary for the keys.

I infer from the stories that it isn't necessary to have the 'key' for these keyless systems.

At least they now comply with their description!

Keyless entry and ignition systems - daveyjp
Our police use Facebook to report on recent criminal activities. Theft of vehicles without any sign of forced entry or by using a key is becoming more common.

Theft of satnav screens from VAG and Mercedes is growing as is removal of previous Range Rover headlights and grilles. i saw one on a recovery wagon the other week with all the front removed.
Keyless entry and ignition systems - mss1tw

It's not the mechanical lock that makes it secure. It's the programmed-to immobiliser chip in the key. Most such cars are now very difficult to drive away unless the key is present, hence the number of thefts preceded by a house burglary for the keys.

I infer from the stories that it isn't necessary to have the 'key' for these keyless systems.

At least they now comply with their description!

Chatting to a Met. police officer at 5-a-side this weekend, he said our travelling brethren have found a way round the security immobilser system on fairly modern Transits (The one in the car park he pointed at as an example was a 53 plate)

I always thought the factory fit systems were fairly unbeatable - as anyone who has replaced a diesel fuel pump on pretty much any make can testify!

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Smileyman

In August I was lent a Nissan Micra with keyless entry whilst my car had a MOT. Very useful, just keep the fob in my pocket and the doors open, engine starts etc.However if I left the fob in the office or at in the house then nothing would happen. So not just expensive cars have this technology.

I listened to a report on this problem on Radio 2 as I drove home - something else to avoid on my next car.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - brum

For those who didnt read the link I posted, high end insurers are refusing to insure Range Rovers in London following a spate of thefts. Underwriters are refusing cover unless owners have underground or secure parking. Apparently gadgets are available on ebay that can easily defeat this "secure technology". Range Rover also told a person who had car stolen this way that "it was his matter to resolve".

So basically the thieves are having a field day with this wonderful tech.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Bolt

Not so sure its a gadget,according to ebay as long as a keyless remote has the same fcc id one remote can be used on a fleet of cars.

but as they are not all the same, getting the wrong key wont work and unless you get the key with the same rolling code you cannot gain entry or start

I read, in practice to get the code,you have to be in transmission distance to get it,but the rolling code generator may get the number sequence wrong and fail to get in,possibly why only certain motors are affected

Keyless entry and ignition systems - RicardoB

I understand that BBC Watchdog will be ramping up the sensationalism with this issue later this week.

I thought this has been covered before.

But then what comes around goes around!

I understand that BBC Watchdog will be ramping up the sensationalism with this issue later this week.

I thought this has been covered before.

But then what comes around goes around!

They have already covered it but different car if I remember rightly

Maybe they ought to use an encryption system

Here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/jB77dRvB9C6PQHX46htHpy/bmw-open-to-car-theft

Keyless entry and ignition systems - TedCrilly

I am sorry but is this really news?

Cars started being stolen the day after they were invented and insurance companies started to refuse cover the day after insurance became a legal requirement!

Whats happened here is that the crims have found a way around the latest security systems and someone sees it as a big deal. All this has happened before and it will happen again.

I dont remember all this much fuss back in 1980 when someone first found out you could open the door of a brand new Metro with some banding tape and hot wire it in 10 secs.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - dan86

I'd rather someone with a computer rather than a brick and a screwdriver steal the car to be honest at least I wouldn't have to sweep up the broken glass the following morning from my driveway.

I dont remember all this much fuss back in 1980 when someone first found out you could open the door of a brand new Metro with some banding tape and hot wire it in 10 secs.

there were more police about then and most were caught in the act,now you press a button and your in without anyone knowing untill its too late

The system needs looking at because once one motor has been hacked it will not be long before rest are being hacked

Keyless entry and ignition systems - skidpan

Back in the 90's Mk 2 Golf GTi's were stolen every few minutes. It was dead easy, just jab a screwdriver through the door skin under the handle.

Mine was stolen by this method but luckily it was found with little damage within the hour.

I suggested to the insurance company that instead of repairing the door and respraying it they should fit the plates that were available to prevent this happening, VW sold them, bodyshop agreed it would be cheaper. But the insurers refused since it was a "modification".

Keyless entry and ignition systems - xtrailman

I've been driving cars with keyless entry now since 2009 on two cars and think its brill, and a must have. My "key" never leaves my pocket, and the cars set to auto lock when i work away.

Too many luddites posting on here.

Any system can be defeated which is why modern tech has to be constantly updated.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - RT

I don't find any difficulty or hardship carrying a car key and exercising my wrist by inserting the key into the lock and turning it.

Keyless entry is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Keyless entry and ignition systems - xtrailman

Keyless entry isnt a solution, its a convenience same as cruise control.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - kiss (keep it simple)

Like most hi-tech security systems, there is a vulnerability to an "inside job". The security of modern cars became so good that if you lost your key, the AA, RAC or whomever were unable to help. No longer would they ask you to look the other way while they slipped the coat hanger under the window seal. So the manufacturers made the codes available to the recovery services and somehow the criminals managed to get their hands on this vital information. Bletchley Park only managed to crack Enigma codes at the rate they did due to "inside information" (stolen code books) plus bad practice on the part of the German operators.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Manatee

I've been driving cars with keyless entry now since 2009 on two cars and think its brill, and a must have. My "key" never leaves my pocket, and the cars set to auto lock when i work away.

How does the car know when you are working away?

What's the right number of Luddites? Can I be one please?

I wonder how wimmin go on with these things? The boss doesn't use pockets. What would happen if she left her bag in the car, would it

(a) remain unlocked; or

(b) lock her out?

How does the car know when you are working away?

What's the right number of Luddites? Can I be one please?

I wonder how wimmin go on with these things? The boss doesn't use pockets. What would happen if she left her bag in the car, would it

(a) remain unlocked; or

(b) lock her out?

A) they have a proximity sensor so if its in the car it remains open,a bit like mobile phones-they know where you are (well most of the time);-)

Edited by bolt on 28/10/2014 at 15:48

Keyless entry and ignition systems - bananastand

Waiting to get on the ferry at Hull, a new-ish Mercedes in the queue next to me couldn't move because something had gone wrong" with the keyless entry. I hope he made it on board eventually!

So....after all this critisicm and indignance towrds keyless entry systems........

Is anyone going to stand up and state catagorically that vehicles with conevntional key systems.....

Never get stolen, never get refused insurance cover, never develop faults that can strand the vehicle. And that keys never get lost, or accidently locked into vehicles and that the owners never forget to lcok their vehicles manually?

I think the media are making all this out to be a far bigger problem that it actually is. Several years ago a friend of mine, a quite well off vet awoke in the middle of the night to find 3 hooded figures in his bedroom,. "Give us the keys to the Scooby on the drive and no one gets hurt" they said. He did and it was last seen on the M62 heading towards Liverpool and despite haviving a tracker it was never seen again.

My point being that if someone is desperate enough to want your car they WILL take it..... keyless or not

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Benet

I recently tested a used Nissan Note with the keyless fob. It was very difficult to see if the car was locked after we'd finished. The 'old' technology of a central locking remote control fob accompanied by ordinary keys (and preferably visible buttons in the tops of the doors) seems far superior. Another problem that occurs to me - what if you're driving along and when you get to your destination you forget what pocket the keyless fob is in? Or if it falls out and ends up under your seat??

Keyless entry and ignition systems - drd63
I'm on my second keyless car now. In practice both are really intuitive and just work better than having to faff about with keys. Too many people here looking for fault which simply doesn't exist.
Keyless entry and ignition systems - colinh

If a key is detected in the car you can't lock it "keylessly" - as I found out last week when travelling with the spare key in luggage in the boot (not a clever idea) - when trying to lock warning sounded and it refused, and had to lock it via button on key

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Andrew-T

Never mind whether the car is easier to steal. When hubby and wife set off together (as my daughter and SiL did), drive a few miles, then hubby is dropped off and wife continues (forgetting keycard is in hubby's pocket) she has to have the presence of mind not to stop the engine, or she is stranded.

Much harder to do with a tangible key visibly connected to the steering.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - expat

Yet another security hole found. GM systems this time.

www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/gm_ownstar_hack/

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a new vehicle which doesn't have all this unnecessary rubbish.

Mods: Please delete if this link is unsuitable. It isn't to a motoring site so I hope it is ok.

No such thing as foolproof security transmission, if someone wants to get in a car or control it there are ways and always will be.

Agreed......people started stealing cars the day after they were first invented and I cant ever see the situation changing.

People are going to all this trouble not to steal cars but to show off and simply prove they have the abilty to hack the systems, much in the same way certain people take great pleasure in hacking and disrupting websites for no reason other than kudos amongst the like minded. Then the media gets hold of it, blow everything out of proprtion and people start start shaking their heads.

Old tech is far easier, put a window through, jemmy the door frame, steal the keys or if you are that desperate mug the owner for them!!....Can we ever totaly remove all the risks??

I will wager that for every 1 car stolen through hacking 999 will still be TWOCed by the more `traditional` methods.

I rememeber that famous clip a few years ago of the BMW being hacked and then driven off and the fuss surrounding it. As far as i am concerned the owner was lucky, lucky in that the perps didnt kick his back door in, batter the dog senseless, tie up his wife and kids, and stick a sawn off up his nose before demanding the key

Cars using traditional `key` based systems are going missing every night up and down the country but does anyone care.......nah course not, the old ways are always best!!!

Somewhere between the Model T of about 100 years ago. Little comfort, no security, no safety considerations and a very physical startup procedure that could easily take 5 mins or more and todays top up the range BMW or MB and the reams of conveniences, comfort, safety and security features they come with it would appear the balance between automotive technology and user appreciation reached its zenith then plunged off the cliff.

Does anyone want to say exactly where it happened in the timeline and why?

Somewhere between the Model T of about 100 years ago. Little comfort, no security, no safety considerations and a very physical startup procedure that could easily take 5 mins or more and todays top up the range BMW or MB and the reams of conveniences, comfort, safety and security features they come with it would appear the balance between automotive technology and user appreciation reached its zenith then plunged off the cliff.

Not sure, but I dont want to go back to those days, tech has only really taken off in the last 20 years and gone faster as circuits got smaller meaning better tech/ in smaller package, lighter cars, and more comfort and more freedom with design, not that some designs are desirable but there ya go

<< smaller package, lighter cars, and more comfort >>

Lighter cars - you may be joking I suppose. Thanks mainly to safety regs, but also general obesity (of the cars) and wholesale addition of gizmos, some of occasional use only, cars are anything up to 50% heavier, like for like, than 25 years ago. Luckily better engine management has kept fuel economy about the same.

Smaller package - I don't see that electronic miniaturisation will make much difference to the total size of a car. Every new generation has to be perceptibly bigger than its predecessor or the punters don't see it as an advance (think what an original Clio or Astra was like).

More comfort - OK, I'll buy that. But I don't think it always happens.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - gordonbennet

To me cars reached a happy pinnacle around the late 80's and through the 90's designs, built up to early to mid noughties, we reached high levels of safety handling reliability performance economy rustproofing driveability.

Generally but not always designs of those times were reasonably easy to repair and electronics hadn't gone too far, but what the makers discovered was those cars if maintained well would last almost indefinately and that's not what they want, and it had to change, and it has.

Most makes had models of 90's designs that are well regarded, too often the replacements from early to mid noughties gained gearboxes/injection/exhaust systems with electronic (incl the parking brake of doom) systems of increasing complexity that will in many cases render the vehicle uneconomical to repair before too many years go by, let alone engines failing long before they should due in no small way to extended service intervals whilst things like timing chains have increasingly been made of cheese and are supposed to survive 20,000 mile contaminated oil, brilliant.

What puzzles me is why new car buyers seem happy to continue down this road, but then the lunacy of electing the same bunch of crooks to govern you and expecting a different end result has always puzzled me too, maybe it's the same people.

What puzzles me is why new car buyers seem happy to continue down this road

Unless they stick to older cars they dont really have much choice, and this fixation by certain people about climate change and reducing emissions to clean up the air,

which in my opinion target they are expected to reach is impossible without going electric( though even thats debatable, possibly impossible)

also dont forget second hand market got a bad name for years so buyers decided to get new cars, the thought of longer service intervals was to them money in the pocket and outweighed any thoughts of gimicks going wrong

GB, your post was going swimmingly until you tried to blame the politicians for all the problems .... :-)

Keyless entry and ignition systems - drd63
I thought the jump to blaming the politicians was a bit of a stretch too, however it may have been a simple ploy to end a post which while entertaining was rather heading in the wrong direction, each generation of car does seem to get better, occasionally we have 2 steps forward and 1 back but model for model I'd much rather drive a 2015 version than a 2010.

GB, your post was going swimmingly until you tried to blame the politicians for all the problems .... :-)

I actually agree with GB`s post but didnt want to bring the politics into it, though the emissions part was to do with it!

Keyless entry and ignition systems - MrDanno

I agree fully with GB, in the 80's and 90's cars were being given useful technology. Things like electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection were improving cars. Along with good security measures such as transponder immobilisers.

Now we are at a point where cars are being crammed more and more with things that some of us just don't want.

Stupid, expensive and I'm my opinion unnecessary tech such as electronic oil level monitoring (some cars don't even have a dipstick anymore), electronic tyre pressure monitoring, electronic parking brakes, hill start assist. I'd trade all of this nonsense for an oil pressure gauge and ammeter as standard fitment.

This is interesting

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Keyless entry and ignition systems - Brit_in_Germany

Electronic ignition was, however, driven by the requirement to fit catalytic convertors as ordered by the Eurocrats in Brussels.

Keyless entry and ignition systems - alan1302

Electronic ignition was, however, driven by the requirement to fit catalytic convertors as ordered by the Eurocrats in Brussels.

Those evil Eurocrats and there awful electronic ignitions!