Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - Firmbutfair

I am a semi-retired Professional Engineer, Registered and Chartered for over 30 years, with well-honed technical skills in circuit and system design in consumer electronics, audio, sensors, telecomms, renewable energy and the automotive industries but I am finding it very hard to land any work in any of these fields - even of a part-time nature. I have registered my 2 page CV with CV-Library and TotalJobs and regularly apply for advertised contract positions but as yet, after 6 months of serious searching, I have only landed two interviews, accepted one job offer on an agreed 3 days per week basis only to be told, after over four weeks of unecessary delays and stalling from HR, that I am no longer required as they have found someone internally to do the work.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can improve my luck and land myself some much needed employment ?

Edited by Firmbutfair on 23/10/2014 at 19:56

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - bazza

I am a Chartered Chemist and Manufacturing scientist- work in and out of perm/contract roles in QA/technical Management within Pharma and Medical Device industries, I am in my 50s and handle recruitment as part of job, so my advice is based on that background:

With only 2 interviews, I suspect your CV is not doing its job. Have you got a modern format, with personal profile at the start, key skills and achievements right up there where a recruiter can see what you can offer right now? A bullet point list is good. 2 pages is ok but no longer. Chronologically based going backwards from right now. When I read a CV I tend to make my mind up with the first half page and then skim through. I haven't got time for a novel. I'm looking for directly relevant stuff that can help me right away. Don't put your date of birth, not needed. Focus on last 10 years, and only briefly mention prior to that, I'm not really interested in what you did back then unless it's pivotal to the job applied for. Don't include irrelevant stuff like temporary van driving as a student, I'm not interested!

Qualifications at the end plus some interests but exclude anything like member of the Communist party, or anything where i can make a negative judgement.

If you want , send your CV to the mods and I'll give you some friendly feedback

Cheers

Baz

Many thanks for your reply Bazza. Yes, I am happy that my CV is laid out in the modern format and it has certainly raised plenty of interest from recruitment agencies - but not many are able to offer the 3 days a week that I am seeking even on a temporary agency worker basis or as an hourly paid freelancer.

My wife and I are off to do some voluntary work for her Mum (aged 92) this afternoon - taking her out for a Sunday outing but maybe when I return I may be able to send my CV to the HJ Moderators for onwards transfer to you. Many Thanks

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - Avant

That's a really helpful offer from Bazza, so do take it up. Address is moderators@honestjohn.co.uk - I too was involved in recruitment before retiring this year, although in the accountancy profession, so I'd be happy to look at your CV as well.

It's obviously easier in accountancy: I'm still doing a bit of writing and lecturing and there's more work than I really need!

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - Manatee

And when you have your CV sorted, network, network, network.

Do you use Linked In? Much derided but useful. Your CV can effectively become your profile. Many recruiters and all recruitment consultants use it and a decent profile will rank higher in their searches. I'm surprised how many hits I get (I'm semi-retired from financial services) and I've had quite a few calls as a result.

I never considered myself a networker but I called up many of the people in my address book (the ones I got on with, and rated) and just told them I had left XXXX and was considering my options. Would they have half an hour for a coffee sometime? None turned me down, several bought me lunch (on their expenses of course!). You don't have to ask them for a job - if they have one, they'll tell you, and the question is a conversation stopper. The whole mood changes from a comfortable chat to "how can I let him down gently".

Just tell them (ideally truthfully) that you are taking the opportunity to talk to a few people you know, and whose opinions you value. Then try and stop the flow of helpful advice!

Ask if there's anyone else they think you should talk to. If they come up with a name, ask if there's anybody else. Follow them up unless you have a good reason not to - you have an introduction now.

You should leave with a renewed and easy relationship, and you can call them anytime to "bounce something off" them.

I started this sort of thing thinking I might fall into another job as a result. As time went on I realised two things - it could be a while before that happened, and I didn't want one! I now hate the idea of having to turn up somewhere every day. I have instead done a number of discrete projects, only things that I wanted to do and where I knew I could add something useful. I am much happier than I was when I was in full time work.

But do get your CV sorted.

Another suggestion. Consider joining IPSE www.ipse.co.uk/ formerly known as PCG, or Professional Contractors Group.

There are different levels of membership including with IR35 cover.

Look at the website anyway - their 'Guide to Freelancing' is worth reading and I think can be downloaded free.

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - retgwte

Depends where you live. But given that immigration is completely and utterly out of control I think you are going to find it tough. I can hire Indian work visa holders for a lot less than you would work for, and that is what everyone is doing.

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - brum

I see that in between the Toyota love-in sessions, we now have agony aunt columns!

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - SteveLee

I'm sure you'll be just as witty after being thrown on the scrap heap, bailiffs banging on the door thanks to being replaced by cheap imported labour. I know of two family men in their 50s who have taken their own lives due to this exact situation - both were at the top of their profession and lost everything thanks to corporate greed/stupidity.

Dont try to make me feel guilty. I come from a family that has known extremes going from upper middle class comforts to losing everything in a matter of minutes, enduring siberean labour camps to literally being left on the middle of nowhere with nothing but what you are wearing, no home, no prospect of acceptance anywhere as a citizen.

Personally, I gave up the predictable path of the OP's career (also as an electronics design engineer), in my thirties and set up my own company, worked hard and endured life on the breadline for over two years before modest success allowed me to save up for the future. My family history and parents upbringing taught me never to rely on anyone or anything. Your future can change dramatically in the wink of an eye, and it has several times for me. I am in my fifties and yes the tide has changed again and EU regulations and government policy forces me to wind up my company.

Am I worried? No. I have saved for such an eventuality, but whether it is enough to support me and my family until I get to state retirement age is uncertain. I have never claimrd benefits, and dont intend to, but it very reassuring that they are there if needed.

Life in the UK even for those who have nothing is infinitely better than most places on earth. No one here should starve, no one should go without medical treatment, no one should go without shelter. This, of course, is why we are a magnet for so many immigrants.

I don't believe family men commit suicide just because they lose their job or lose some material possessions, not much of a family if they do. Its usually something else but there are plenty of forums around where personal issues can be discussed, I dont think this motoring forum is one of them......

This is the motoring discussion section of a motoring forum last time I looked....

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - Avant

"This is the motoring discussion section of a motoring forum last time I looked...."

True, and I could have moved this thread to the general discussion section. But my impression is that, unlike on some other forums, fewer people look at this section, so I've left it where it is to allow Firmbutfair (a regular contributor) to get as much advice as possible.

I see all of us as 'members' so let's be as helpful as we can. But thank you Brum for telling us about your own experience. How sad that by being instrumental in forcing you to close your business, the EU is achieving the opposite of what it was set up for in 1957.

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - retgwte

My dad died of cancer having worked every day of his adult life with no treatment from the NHS except pain relief. In any other developed country he would have had active treatment and probably would have lived a lot longer. It's not just me thinking this, this is what the hospice doctors openly said. The fantasy that we all get good healthcare here is just that a fantasy, the NHS is a national disgrace.

As for suicides, I know plenty of successful people who have been ruined by the mass import of cheap workers from India and elsewhere. Intra Company Transfer visas are still completely uncapped, and used by the outsourcers to flood the country with cheap workers, and many go onto gain indefinite leave to remain here and British passports. Some displaced Brits have committed suicide, others living in very dire straits. All because the big corporates are addicted to cheap low quality labour.

The political class have a lot to answer for.

Wow, so now its Toyota love-ins, agony aunt columns, and political debate forum..

What have I stirred up? - help - can we change the title of this section?

On second thoughts, maybe I should just shut up, go away and leave you guys in peace.

Toyota...they never break down?...ha....good one....

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - alan1302

My dad died of cancer having worked every day of his adult life with no treatment from the NHS except pain relief.

Why was there no other treatemt other than pain relief? I'm assuming there was a reson for it?

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - Chris M

Can this thread get back on topic please?

I see nothing wrong with discussing family history, the NHS or the EU, but that should be on a different thread over in General Discussion. Up until (and including) Manatee's post on Friday, this thread was offering very useful advice to the OP, which could benefit any one of us.

Edited by Avant on 26/10/2014 at 15:53

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - alan1302

Can this thread get back on topic please?

I see nothing wrong with discussing family history, the NHS or the EU, but that should be on a different thread over in General Discussion. Up until (and including) Manatee's post on Friday, this thread was offering very useful advice to the OP, which could benefit any one of us.

If you are wanting to be picky about discussing other things in this thread thenyou should also menetion the original post should be in the general discussion as wellas it's not motoring related.

(Edit - please see my comments just a few posts up from this.)

Edited by Avant on 26/10/2014 at 23:54

Any - Well paid work for retired Professional Engineer - Andrew-T

.... used by the outsourcers to flood the country with cheap workers, and many go onto gain indefinite leave to remain here and British passports. Some displaced Brits have committed suicide, others living in very dire straits. All because the big corporates are addicted to cheap low quality labour.

The political class have a lot to answer for.

But a few posts above you said 'I can hire Indian work-visa holders for a lot less than ...'. If you do, maybe you have something to answer for too?

I'm too old now to offer the OP any helpful advice. But in the end we are all part of the 'free market', choosing to spend our cash as economically as we can - unless we have oodles and don't need to ask the price.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/10/2014 at 10:08

And where is the OP?

Thank you Manatee for your advice. yes I have been on LInked In for quite a while and have updated my on-line profile to match my CV, which is, I beleive laid out in accordance with the current summary format and has certainly raised plenty of interest from the recruitment agencies but no direct contacts from employers. Your advise to network as much as possible is certainly working, indeed, the 3 days a week job that I managed to negotiate was obtained via a younger colleague (by 15 years) contact on LinkedIn - with whom I had worked back in the 80s and 90s.

Good to hear - I didn't know if it was in any way applicable to your sector.

Best of luck for the future.