Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - RS66

I am looking to purchase a 1 year old Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost, haven’t decided on trim level yet. It will be mainly driven around town or short less than 10 mile motorway journeys, hence petrol over diesel.

I am looking for your experiences with this model and advice if you have any. Reliability and real life mpg figures would be good around town with little traffic and longer journeys.

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - Happy Blue!

I have a 2.0 TDCi Auto doing mainly low distance urban journeys and occasional drive along parts of the M60. I have had no issues regarding DPF failure or blockage and the car has been a great family workshorse for over four years and 40,000 miles. I see no reason to worry about the petrol/diesel question.

General reliability has been excellent with only a failed self-levelling shock absorber in the period of ownership. If I did not have Xenon headlights the cost would have been £50 not £400 to replace.

I was going to replace the car this year, but cannot find anything that meet my requirements so well that drives so well also.

Thanks for the reply.

Generally had good vibs about the S-Max it would suit our needs perfectly, only issue now is they have stopped making them, with the new model out middle next year.

The downer I have with diesel is a very bad experience with previous model Alhambra and 1.9 pd engine, cylinder head cooling issues probably gasket but scrapped car at 76k, after spending a small fortune, VW in denial again over issues.

I will give diesel fords a look, a Ford mechanics trainer told me to stay away from DuraTorq engines I will have to ask him why.

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - Eddy56

I have owned a grand c-max from new since 2011 with the1.6 ecoboost engine. I decided petrol over diesel for similar reasons. My wife uses the car daily and it can go a month without seeing a trip of more than 10 miles on local roads, just didnt fancy chances with DPFs after reading so many tales of woe. The ecoboost is a thirsty motor. We've averaged 30mpg for urban driving. On a run it's better if you coax it along but still only high 30s - not up to scratch in my view for this day and age. The motor is powerful enough for a heavy car (the grand c-max is a 7 seater and no lightweight). It's got low down torque and you can hussle along nicely without needing to rev it too hard. If you do need to make an overtake, the upper half of the rev range is there for you and it really does shift when the overboost kicks in, but driven hard and the economy really drops off. Overall a nice engine, flexible, smooth and refined but a tad thirsty and a high VED against some of the rivals , e.g. the VAG 1.4 TSI.

We had issues with the turbo, seems a fault with some bolts which came loose, symptom was massive drop in efficiency and hissing noises. Fixed under warranty. Otherwise no engine related issues in 3 years of ownership/25k miles.

If you think you can give the DPF a longer run regularly, I would go for the 1.6 diesel.

Thanks for the info, just as I thought with the engine and fuel economy. what is the oil consumption like on this engine.

The 1.4 tsi has tails of woe concerning timing chain tensioners and leaving it in gear on slopes (we park on a slope) and massive oil consumption. We looked at the Touran but the driver’s seat was massively uncomfortable for my wife, narrow seat base with really high sides.

Again even with modern cars it still seems to be luck of the draw as to what issues you get; you would have thought reliability would be forefront of their minds when building cars.

I still drive a 15 year old K11 Micra, it has minimal service and apart from the usual perishables has never let me down after 113k miles, original clutch, joints, electrics, the lot, it will just not die.

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - Eddy56

no sign of it drinking any oil, I check it now and then and never had to top it up between annual services. I think the ecoboost is decent engine and the car itself is really nice but we're going to sell it on soon, it's a not a long term keeper for me with the fuel consumption.

I had a 1989 Mazda 323 which passed through 3 generations of ownership in my family, 230k miles when we eventually scrapped it (which I regret now). In my 7 years of ownership I only ever changed the oil and filters and pads, the timing belt was done once at 80k! It just went and went. I wonder how many cars of this era will be able to make the same claim 20 years from now

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - madf

n.

I had a 1989 Mazda 323 which passed through 3 generations of ownership in my family, 230k miles when we eventually scrapped it (which I regret now). In my 7 years of ownership I only ever changed the oil and filters and pads, the timing belt was done once at 80k! It just went and went. I wonder how many cars of this era will be able to make the same claim 20 years from now

Our Mark1 Yaris diesel is now 11 and bodily very good and mechanically excellent. I can see it reaching 20 + years easily.

Low miles - so oil and filter changed annually (!!! despite what some ignorants suggest)

Edited by madf on 24/10/2014 at 14:23

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - bazza

I wonder how many cars of this era will be able to make the same claim 20 years from now.....

There are still quite a few fairly straightforward petrol engines around, particularly the Japanese makes eg Toyota V matic which are just evolutions of vvti, so should be ultra reliable and robust in the Auris and Avensis etc. Interesting that they have still not adopted small turbo Direct injection tech typically due to the carbonisation problems and longevity isues they all suffer from I imagine. I read somewhere that when they eventually do go with it, their DI engine will also have port injection to overcome this issue. I was quite keen on trying a Ford Ecoboost or a VW TSi at some point but the repeating tales of poor reliability (VW) and poor fuel consumption (Ford) put me off. It's actually quite disappointing, as 20 years ago the VW 1.8 8 valve was about the most bombproof engine out there, how times have changed when VW engines are considered relatively flimsy, oil guzzlers and of dubious reliability. How is the newish 1.2 tsi with belt instead of chain doing in the real world?

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - Avant

Unless you opt for a city car, you're never going to get good economy in town driving.

The fuel cost difference between an S-Max and an allegedly more economical competitor isn't going to be all that great. Have a look at a Toyota Verso - also 7 seats but a bit shorter and more wieldy in town - but if you definitely want an S-Max, go for it.

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - madf

Unless you opt for a city car, you're never going to get good economy in town driving.

You will of course get great fuel economy in town driving - if you drive a hybrid...

As far as engine relaibility, just look at maker's warranty and its period.

Ford and VW are three years.

Kia/Hyundai 7, Toyota 5 and Honda - 3 years (engine)..other bits longer.Both Honda and Toyota extend warranties to 7 years of known faults..(CVT, diesel engines)

Guess who makes cars which are less reliable? VW and the French makers.

All the facts are there, people ignore them and then are surpised when they find makers don;t support them...

Edited by madf on 25/10/2014 at 11:33

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - daveyK_UK

Agreed.

Will never have another VAG car or GM car for that very reason.

But I will happily buy another Citroen berlingo multispace!

If only Toyota or Honda sold robust, spacious, good value van MPVs

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - Happy Blue!

Not Japanese but Kia Carens (new model?)

We looked at the new Kia Carrens, I liked it but wife was not keen, she is now getting the new QashQai, not seven seats but we both like it.

I need to replace my car next year so will check out the Kia again, may make a good second hand buy with the 7 year warranty.

Please let me know if you have any experience of the new Carrens, I really couldn't buy the previous model just looks odd.

Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost - Ford S-Max 1.6 Eco Boost Ownership - gordonbennet
If only Toyota or Honda sold robust, spacious, good value van MPVs

I think Toyota do only not here, but you can certainly grey import one based on a Hiace or similar, no doubt Honda and Nissan and possibly Mazda have similar slightly larger van based MPV's too.