Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - BillS719

I'm looking to replace my 2008 Mondeo which I have been generally pleased with. I'm looking for another large hatchback and have been thinking of going a bit upmarket if I can get what I want..

But, most of the premium brand cars are saloons not hatchbacks (my Mondeo has been used to move my children's furniture on several occassions) and I don't really want an estate. Also, some of the low swept designs are tight on headroom in the back. I did also look at the Vauxhall Insignia but wouldn't have wanted to sit in the rear with the driver's seat where I have it (I am 5'10", hardly a giant).

Other than the new Mondeo - seems perfectly good, but a bit same old, same old - and the Skoda Superb (very capable vehicle but upmarket? I come from a generation that's a bit prejudiced against Skodas) is there anything else I should be looking at but haven't been? One final prejudice: I don't think I'd buy a French car due to their reputation of poor reliability and high repair costs.

Grateful for your throughts. Willing to look at new or up to one year old models (Auto gearbox preferred) up to say £30k.

Bill

Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - Bobbin Threadbare
Do you want a diesel or a petrol?

I reckon you'll get a lot of Skoda defenders arriving shortly! They're very nice.

Mazda 6 hatchback might do you. Slightly bigger rear space than a Mondeo with the seats folded down. I had a Mk I and it was superb. A petrol though. There was a lot of bad press about the diesels because they weren't very good regarding DPF failure, but Mazda seem to have sorted this on newer models.
Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - jamie745

I reckon you'll get a lot of Skoda defenders arriving shortly!

They'll arrive late, Skoda owners have to walk the last 10 miles.

Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - Alanovich
Mazda 6 hatchback might do you.

Except they don't make a hatchback any more and the OP wants a new car. Saloons and estates only.

Edited by Alanovich on 22/10/2014 at 11:20

Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - BillS719

Happy with a petrol or diesel, my current Mondeo is diesel but I tend to do fewer miles these days compred to when I bought it; say 8000 to 10000 per year now.

Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - Avant

If you're prejudiced against Skodas I can't help you except to say 'try one'. They have their engines in the front nowadays. A Superb fits your needs admirably: even though you don't think you want an estate, many of us think the estate looks better than the hatch. In gneral estates don't look like converted vans any more.

The Audi A5 is probably too low-slung, but you could look at the Q5: also there are various BMWs (X1, X3, X5 and 3-series GT).

The makers arwe simply catering fot he needs of the majority: most people looking for a bog car want either a saloon or an estate.

Ford Mondeo - Best New Large Hatchback - coopshere
If you prefer an automatic then it may pay to start your search from that angle to decide whether or not the type of gearbox is to your liking. Although most manufacturers describe their auto gearboxes as automatics they vary in type and operation. For instance if you want a conventional torque convertor auto then your choice in large hatchback, saloon or estate is limited these days.