Various - Car purchase add ons - guygamps

Hello, yesterday I bought a car from a dealership in my area. I have been interacting with several dealers whilst selecting the vehicle, in general spending quite a bit of time in particular with a Mini dealer, Audi dealer, and two or three different Fiat/Alfa dealers, before finding the right car (a near mint Giulietta).

What is interesting to me and the purpose of this posting is all the add on products they offer at time of sale closure. On principle, I have never purchase any such products and don't intend to now. To be totally fair, there was no sales pressure on me, but the sheer number of different "products" offered was rather a surprise.

What are the forums views on any of the follow:

• GAP protection (I am buying on a PCP with about a 20% deposit), and I will be doing very high mileage (25 to 30K per year)
  • Tyre and alloy wheel insurance (up to 5 tyres replaced in the 3 year contract, not including wear and tear)
  • Cosmeitc Warranty Insurance
  • Diamond Bright / Superguard pain protection

I am considering GAP insurance which I have never bothered with before, but then I have never purchase on finance before, always cash. but I wondered what the forum advice would be on buying these products, (or not)

Guy

Various - Car purchase add ons - RobJP

For any of these insurances, the markup for the dealership is extraordinary. It is a major commision earner for the salepeople. You can purchase them yourself directly via insurance companies, usually for half the price, or possibly even lower. Alternatively, you could get quotes from insurance companies (just use search engines to find the companies who do these sorts of policies), and then go back to the dealership to negotiate a better deal.

Various - Car purchase add ons - Ordovices

I'd say shop around, especially for GAP. As for the tyre cover, does anyone consume tyres at that rate, not through wear and tear?

I'd be interested to hear how you found the whole shopping experience. Last Sunday, I test drove a new car and the s******ship sales manager was almost apoplectic when I refused to conclude the deal on the first visit, after 20 minutes "contact". I pointed out that my modus was to investigate, contemplate then complete. He was so angry, that I wouldn't be cajoled into a snap decision to spend £15000, that he walked away in disgust. Personally I found his petulance amusing, but I think others may have taken the hump.

Needless to say, however, Lightcliffe won't be getting my business, lots more fish in the sea.

Various - Car purchase add ons - skidpan

Its the same whatever you buy now. Bought mother and father a new telly a bit back. Samsung with a free 5 year manufacturers warranty. Salesman wanted to sell us another 5 year warranty because "theirs was better".

When I bought my Seat last year i was bombarded with the usual service plan (bought that, only £11 a month, saves £150 over 3 years), 5 year manufacturers warranty (bought that as intended - covers exactly the same as the original warranty when bought with new car), paint treatment, upholstery treatment, valet kit, tyre insurance and of course GAP insurance. I intended to get GAP insurance but not from the dealer. Told him that to see if his quote came down. He dropped it from almost £400 to just under £300.

Bought GAP on-line for £130. Exactly the same cover and transferable.

GAP insurance from dealer ... £399

GAP insurance from Daily Telegraph offer £135

in both cases 3 years

am I missing something?

Various - Car purchase add ons - bathtub tom

I recently bought from Motorpoint and had none of this pressure. Politely declined GAP and paint protection and it wasn't mentioned again.

I visited once and had a short list of four cars that I whittled down to two after being handed the keys and left to my own devices. Found a salesman and told him I wanted to sleep on it, no problem. 'Phoned the next day to arrange a test drive of the one I preferred. It was ready for me and I decided to buy it.

Various - Car purchase add ons - RobJP

You're missing out on the salesman earning £264, nothing else

Thanks all, GAP insurance for £93 for 3 years from ALA and 10% cashback through Quidco on that too.

In terms of buying experience here's brief summary.

On line brokers, such as OrangeWheels, Drive the Deal were hopeless, in each case I got a price for new on line, clicked through and completed forms for finance quotes, gave all my details, and several days later heard nothing. They advertise prices on cars which they cannot honour, or the cars can not be delivered.

Volksagen dealer. Friendly and helpful but I am still waiting for a quote 2 weeks later on a Beetle. No attempt to sell. Quoted me 5 months lead time and weren't interested in my suggestion of loaning me an old Polo or Fox or anything to tie me over while I waited for it. Took all my details, agreed a spec, and then nothing, would have loved a Beetle, but I never even got a quote.

Kia dealer (tested Proceed coupe), very helpful, let me test drive on my own as long as I wanted (two cars back to back) and didn't make me feel awkward when I said "not for me". No sense of hospitality, (not even offered a coffee)

Suzuki dealer (tested SX4Cross) - again fine in terms of arranging a test drive and again no sales pressure... but again No sense of hospitality, (not offered a coffee

Mini dealer, a bit disorganised about organsing the test drive, and quoting against my spec which I laid out on their own configuration tool and sent them, But friendly, helpful and no hard sell. Would recommend Laura in Spires Mini Watford.

Vauxhall dealer, showed me a car that stank to high heaven (previous owner was a heavy smoker and then filled the car with air freshener). Salesman shared his cake with another sales person in front of me, and didn't offer me a drink even. Then because I filled in a form I got LOADS of calls and emails from Vauxhall dealers the next few days. very intrusive.

Audi dealer. Sales girl very helpful, quite fun and chatty without putting pressure on, during test drive. But their finance package was not good, and attempts by me to engage with their "business managers" on that were a tad painful. e.g. when I asked if they could be more competitive on their APR, they simply dropped my monthly payment and extended the contract so I was in fact paying same for the car.

Fiat/Alfa dealers. All very helpful, local one was great, let me take 2 Giuliettas out for good test drive and presented me with lots of finance options, all competitive, and no pressure. (recommend Alex Cooper at Glyn Hopkins in St Albans), Another on phone (had a used car I was interested in), also helpful, but lost the sale. I wanted to put a deposit on the car on the phone (it was 3 hours drive away), with option to walk away and get deposit back if the car had faulty seal around sunroof (whistling) or rattles/squeaks in the dash. They refused that. By the time I might have been free to go and look, I had found a suitable example locally. They were not prepared to vouch for their own product it seemd. I found a particular one within an hours drive that I like the look of, and this is the dealer who eventually made the sale. He was fine. Only issue was that even though I had an appointment and they knew which car I wanted to see, the battery was flat, and there was not enough fuel in the tank to start it. But I knew I was very interested, I was very patient, gave them all the time they needed to get it sorted, had a thoroughly nice test drive and made the purchase with some gentle negotiation on both sides. County Motor Works Chelmsford, contact Stephen Lane.

Looking forward to taking delivery of my Giulietta 2.0 TCT JTDm2!

Various - Car purchase add ons - daveyjp

I refuse all of the add ons.

My thoughts on GAP are if I need it I am borrowing too much. I shouldn't be in a position of a car being worth less than I owe on it. And return to invoice GAP is merely a depreciation insurance - something else I really don't need.