2007 VW New Beetle Cabriolet 2.0 tdi (manual) - Clutch Burning when Reversing. - Wellgate
We have just returned home after a Dorset & Devon tour. The Beetle broke down in Bicester en route to Bath. The AA attended & correctly diagnosed the Dual Mass Flywheel as the problem. They piggy backed us to Bath, where Beetle was left at the main dealers. Flywheel was replaced & a new clutch installed. We set off for Lyme Regis with no problem until I reversed uphill into a parking slot. The smell of burnt clutch was awful. I switched off the engine to find that the gearbox was stuck in reverse. After a while it freed up into neutral, but on starting wouldn't go back into reverse & there was a nasty meshing of gears. The car was left for a couple of hours, restarted and all was ok. VW Bath were contacted & made an appointment with VW Barnstaple, our next port of call. Beetle was left with them & they reported that there was no problem, although they hadn't taken the clutch out. Initially they suggested it might be my driving technique, but then said that modern clutches didn't like reversing under load - uphill, extended distance, hooked up to caravan, etc. This doesn't sound right to me? Nevertheless, we returned to Norfolk without incident, until we actually arrived home. I had switched off to unload and, on restarting, the engine gave an unusual shudder. But all is well again today? With Best Regards Robert

Edited by Wellgate on 20/10/2014 at 18:53

2007 VW New Beetle Cabriolet 2.0 tdi (manual) - Clutch Burning when Reversing. - gordonbennet
Initially they suggested it might be my driving technique, but then said that modern clutches didn't like reversing under load - uphill, extended distance, hooked up to caravan, etc.

This is getting to be a regular discussion here, with various makes and types of cars.

Many modern Diesels (and petrols) are so high geared in first and reverse, and some modern engines, especially turbo Diesels, so lacking in the low speed torque necessary, that they struggle to perform the manoeuvering tasks asked of them if its anything even slightly out of the ordinary.