Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - Jameston
The Great Diesel Scandal: Obsessed by CO2 emissions, our politicians bullied and bribed us to buy diesel cars when they KNEW their toxic fumes were killing us. And guess what, those drivers are now being hit with extra taxes

Last year, for the first time since passing my driving test three decades ago, I finally bit the bullet and bought the kind of car my dad had been urging me to get for as long as I can remember: a sensible diesel one.

‘They’re so much more economical,’ my dad had kept telling me.

He isn’t necessarily right about everything, but I trust him on cars. In his youth he used to race them as a hobby and, unlike me, he knows a piston from a spark plug.

‘Quite a bit of poke under the bonnet, too. What with fuel injection, they’re just as nippy as petrol cars. Also, they hold their value for much longer . . .’

So when I proudly unveiled my new diesel automobile, I thought he’d be impressed.

Instead, he said: ‘Oh. Haven’t you heard?’ And he broke the bad news.

Apparently, far from investing in the motoring sale of the century, what I had, in fact, gone and bought was a four-wheeled cancer machine.

Not only, he went on, are diesels extremely bad on the pollution front, spewing tiny carcinogenic particles into the air which lurk in your lungs and cause thousands of deaths in Britain every year, but they’re also terrible value for money.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2720341/The-Great-Diesel-Scandal-Obsessed-CO2-emissions-politicians-bullied-bribed-buy-diesel-cars-knew-toxic-fumes-killing-And-guess-drivers-hit-extra-taxes.html#ixzz3GOH2ledV

betterbynature.org.uk/the-great-diesel-scandal/

www.scienceclarified.com/Co-Di/Diesel-Engine.html

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - Bromptonaut

Delingpole is a master of the controversial, fact light rant. The fact that story is running in the Mail further bolsters it's (lack of) any real credentails.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - SteveLee
"I trust him on car"

What with quotes like

"Quite a bit of poke under the bonnet, too. What with fuel injection, they’re just as nippy as petrol cars. Also, they hold their value for much longer . . ."

Would your father like to show me an example of a diesel car without fuel injection? Old or new? It sounds like he doesn't know very much at all.

On the topic of the thread - it was obvious from the word go that an increased use of diesel cars would be catastrophic for air quality - but the powers that be convinced the gullible public that plant food is a pollutant in order to raise taxes and control you - the rest is history.
Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - Sofa Spud

Diesel engines are more economical, more efficient and more reliable than petrol engines. If that wasn't the case, why are there no petrol powered lorries, buses, farm tractors or railway locomotives?

If frequent or prolonged exposure to diesel fumes is particularly harmful, one would expect to see clear evidence that people working with commercial vehicles, on farms or in a locomotive depot would be more affected than the population as a whole. Are there any studies which show this to be the case?

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - jamie745

What he says is hardly news or revolutionary, it's pretty basic stuff sensible people already knew. Diesels are the most polluting types of vehicle, it's why air pollution is worse in big cities, but politicians became obsesed with co2 because demonising it proved to be highly lucrative for treasuries around the world.

Diesel got a tax break because of its low co2, petrol will never get a tax break due to its lack of carcinogens but we'll soon see diesel cars taxed the same as petrol as the Government has finally worked out they're losing money.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - Bolt

Agree with SS, and the problems to do with emissions of diesels will gradually be sorted, but its been known for years about the particulates thats why you have DPF`s now which help reduce the particle output

even though it wont stop the finer particles yet,improved combustion over time will also cut down dangerous gases as well so I dont think diesels will stop being made

Really these problems should have been sorted out many years ago, but not many were listening or didnt want to know

TBH I think we have worse worries from abroad emissions wise,we cannot clean air that comes from abroad

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - Sofa Spud

The urban pollution problem is likely to become less over time. The localised pollution associated with diesel engines is not the same as CO2 / greenhouse gas issue. And the matter of using as little fossil fuel as possible will become more important

But in a few years, plug-in hybrid cars and vans will become the norm, and will able to run for considerable distances on electric power alone. Also there will prbably be more pure electric vehicles - so that a large proportion of vehicles running in city streets my be running in 'zero pollution' mode.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 19/10/2014 at 15:05

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Diesel engines scam - Bolt

The urban pollution problem is likely to become less over time. The localised pollution associated with diesel engines is not the same as CO2 / greenhouse gas issue. And the matter of using as little fossil fuel as possible will become more important

But in a few years, plug-in hybrid cars and vans will become the norm, and will able to run for considerable distances on electric power alone. Also there will prbably be more pure electric vehicles - so that a large proportion of vehicles running in city streets my be running in 'zero pollution' mode.

It`s not urban pollution they are worried about its the inner city,but however you look at it its pollution

I`m not so sure plug in hybrids will become the norm, not for a long time due to power requirements on our power stations,we are going to have to build more to cope with demand which I think another poster here pointed out.

All electric cars will probably have an even harder time getting to market due to power consumption and its availability, ie imagine the power requirement from power stations if 1000s of drivers plug in at the same time? they have a hard enough time when the kettles are put on at half time