Mondeo 2 litre petrol Zetec 1999 - sudden increase in engine oil consumption - Whacko

...owned the car for 12 years, well maintained, mileage now 147,507. There is no exhaust smoke and no leak under the car when parked but over the past few months it has started using about 1 litre of oil per thousand miles. Is she about to die or could it be something simple ? Please help !

Mondeo 2 litre petrol Zetec 1999 - sudden increase in engine oil consumption - Galaxy

Mine used to leak out of the cam cover gasket in it's later years. There was never any oil under the car, though, and it certainly didn't smoke. I couldn't be bothered to change the gasket, I just kept the oil topped up.

Have a good look around the top of the engine. See whether it's all coated with oil or if it's dry.

Mondeo 2 litre petrol Zetec 1999 - sudden increase in engine oil consumption - elekie&a/c doctor

Think yourself lucky,I would not be worried.Some Vw audi models use in excess of 1 litre in less than 1k miles,and they are under 5 years old.

Mondeo 2 litre petrol Zetec 1999 - sudden increase in engine oil consumption - Wackyracer

It could be a faulty PCV valve or it's associated pipes are blocked or collapsed.

Mondeo 2 litre petrol Zetec 1999 - sudden increase in engine oil consumption - Whacko

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Thans for the help, greatly appreciated.