Volvo V60 - Heater failure. Warranty - ellastonepaul

The heater fan on my 3 year old V60 (just out of warranty!) failed yesterday; clicking relays could still be heard This morning on starting, there was a "Low Battery" warning. This afternoon I took it in to the local Volvo dealer who offered a "quick look", (30 mins), as getting at a failed fan involved removing the dash. I had another appointment and after an hour asked "how much longer". I was told that he would get the mechanic to "reassemble the parts". The car was returned with no diagnosis/comment. I asked if a "diagnostic check" had been carried out and the answer was "no". The “low battery” warning was dismissed “as it is set at 75% of full charge”. I was advised, but not offered, to book a further appointment. There was no charge. (Coincidentally another customer with a failed heater was being served and he was advised that the costs were at least £500 as the dash had to be removed!)

I left the dealership wondering

1. Surely any electrical failure automatically needs a diagnostic check for other, linked, faults?

2. What had they done in the hour with the car

3. Why would a fan (electric motor) fail after only 3 years (on a Volvo!)

4. Why the “low battery” warning? Could a failed fan cause a discharge if the car is “switched off”?

5. The car is 5 months over the 3 year Volvo warranty. What charges am I in for?!

ellastonepaul

Volvo V60 - Heater failure. Warranty - craig-pd130

Was the fan working again after the visit to the dealer?

The low battery warning can be related to the start/stop function as that uses an auxiliary battery to keep the car's electrics running while the engine is is 'sleeping'. Or it could be that with the recent colder weather, you've been using more electrical accessories (heated rear window / mirrors etc) of a morning and the car needs a run to fully charge the battery.

If the heater fan has failed just 5 months after the end of the warranty, I'd argue with Volvo UK (not the dealer) that the fan is not a service item, it's meant to last the lifetime of the car, and this is not the sort of relability you'd expected and hoped for when you bought a brand as "reliable" as a Volvo, and that you really shouldn't have to pay for repair of something so fundamental to the car's safety and comfort etc etc etc.

This tactic has always worked for me. Remember, don't argue with the dealer: go direct to Volvo UK customer services.

Volvo V60 - Heater failure. Warranty - elekie&a/c doctor

If it is the motor at fault,you are looking around 5 hours labour time,plus the motor .So could be a £1k job. I would definitely asking Volvo for some help here.

Volvo V60 - Heater failure. Warranty - ellastonepaul

So..... the dealer fixed it (it took five days, including a weekend) and I got billed £384, allegedly after a contribution from Volvo. That was in October.

TODAY.....the heater fan has failed again! No blower output, but the engine speed increases when the fan speed control is used. I presume this indicates that the fan motor is putting a load on the electrical system? "Jammed"?

Can this be TWO sub standard fan motors? Is this a known fault? I gather the same unit is used in the S60 and that did have some reported problems 3-4 years ago? OR have I got another, deeper, problem......with even more costs?

So the prospect of another 3-4 days without the car loom.....I am assuming that it will be a "no charge" job as there should be some sort of warranty after such a short period..........

And I thought Volvos were reliable and built to last!

Volvo V60 - Heater failure. Warranty - Avant

Sadly, I suspect that the operative word in your last sentence is 'were'. There is just so much electronic trickery to go wrong in cars nowadays.

In fairness Volvos are probably no worse than any others - but time was when as you say they lasted a lot longer than most others. Older Volvos still do, but that honourable mantle has now perhaps been taken over by Toyota.