SORN and INSURANCE - Diguelo

If you decide to take your vehicle off the road for one reason or another and park it on somebodies drive or your own. The vehicle must be insured while you own it or declare a SORN on it, in which case you have to store it off the public highway, this does include cul de ssacs as well. I got a £50 fine from the DVLA for it. My car had been parked up for 3 months during a full engine rebuild and i got the fine the day after the tax was due form came through the post, happy christmas DVLA and may all your tickets be big ones.

SORN and INSURANCE - skidpan

The rule is simple and has not changed for several years. If you do not intend to use your car, don't bother to pay your tax or ask for a refund you must SORN the vehicle and park it off the public highway. Once SORN'd you dont need to insure it but if its a valuable car you would be daft not to, could still get fired or stolen.

The only changes to the rules have been in the past SORN needed declaring every year, now once will do it (unless you Tax the car then when the tax expires a new SORN is needed).

Clearly if you got a fine you have not followed the rules.

If you feel you have followed the rules appeal. I received a fine for SORN once. Appealed and the fine was cancelled, they had got it worng.

SORN and INSURANCE - Dwight Van Driver

Be fair to DVLA and Motoring VCorrespoindents they have thunpred the SORN Tax and Insurance aspect to all and sundry. Basically if either expired then SORN should be declared.

In your case should have once tax expired declared SORN and cancelled Iniusrance and taken out a Theft/Fire policy only to cover your vehicle whilst on a friends drive. Simples?

dvd

SORN and INSURANCE - FP

To be fair to the OP, isn't the salient point in his post that he parked the car in a cul de sac, not realising that this is part of "the highway"?

Or am I mis-reading it?

It is a common misconception that "the highway" means a main road of some type.

SORN and INSURANCE - RT

The definition of a road in England and Wales is ‘any highway and any other road to which the public has access and includes bridges over which a road passes’ (RTA 1988 sect 192(1)). In Scotland, there is a similar definition which is extended to include any way over which the public have a right of passage (R(S)A 1984 sect 151(1)).

So obviously, cul-de-sacs are included.

SORN and INSURANCE - Brit_in_Germany

Whether or ot a private road is a public highway seems to be somewhat complicated, one factor being whether it has been used by the public for a period of 20 years.

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn00402.pdf