Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - Steveieb

Recomended by HJ as VAG's finest diesel engine which was dicontinued as they could not get it to meet Enviromnmental standards.

But how can I be sure that it does not have a DPF?

Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - Railroad.
By looking at the exhaust system for the presence of a DPF and two pressure sensors at either end of it. Basic rule of thumb these days is if you must buy a diesel then use it properly as the manufacturer intended. Clock up motorway miles on a regular basis. If you don't do that then buy a petrol.
Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - bazza

The 1.9 tdi is a Euro 4 engine and didn't have a DPF fitted, so, no it won't have one.

Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - Big John

Some 1.9 tdi pd engines did have a DPF (later 1.9 VW Golf, Skoda Superb Greenline 1.9) but most didn't. The VAG pd engine is a great engine without a DPF but bad with one as the diesel injection simply isn't designed to support it as it is a mechanically pumped (off cam) electrically fired system that is designed to give one "squirt" per engine cycle.

However the good news is at that age it probably won't have one

Check the clutch doesn't judder, runs evenly on all four cylinders, pulls well from low revs, engine management light not on and doesn't shudder too much on turn off.

Also check for damp carpets in the passenger foot well and make sure the front suspension doesn't have any squeaks and creaks.

Edited by Big John on 09/10/2014 at 22:16

Excellent feedback Big John.

Sadly the car got sold before i could get there. Perhaps the news is out about DPF's.

Avants with 1.9 TDI engines are hard to find.

Can you give me advice on buying a 2.5 TDI Avant ?

Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - Ian D
I think a 2007 one could easily have a DPF, but in those days Audi called the DPF a TDV, if you search on Autotrader the TDV seems to show up in the title a lot for 2007 cars
Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - RobJP

The 2.5 tdi is, like the 1.9, a fantastically well-built engine. The biggest issue with them isthe same as the 1.9s - the cambelt, which must be changed every 70k miles, and also the waterpump, all the rollers, etc. It's not an easy or particularly cheap job (iirc it's easiest to do it all with the front of the car pretty much dismantled), and as such it tends to be skipped over by people running those cars on a budget, or they sell them when the job is due (lots out there for sale with 140-150k on the clock ...)

Really appreciate this feedback Ian, I had no idea that TDV = DPF

Have you any idea what the 2.7 or is it 2.5 TDI engines are like?

Audi A4 1.9TDI 2007 - Will This Audi I am about to buy have a DPF? - RobJP

I had an A6 estate with the 2.5 (155 bhp, possibly) and a 6 speed manual box many years ago (W reg, i think). Sold it with 185k on the clock, and it was rock solid from day 1 up until the day it went. And oh my, when you put your foot down, it certainly did go.

I've also had a 2.7 on the 'new shape' A6 estate on a 05/55 plate. Performance-wise, it made the 2.5 look like it was going backwards, but I was never hugely enamoured with the car as a package. It was all just a bit bloated, in my opinion. I had that for 2 years, did 70k in it, and it never went wrong at all.

Both of them were manual boxes, the 2.5tdi returned 38-40 mpg, the 2.7 more like 35-38mpg. And I didn't exactly drive like a nun.

I'm not sure, but I think the 2.7 tdi is a chain cam, rather than a belt.