Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - zuluboy

Hi there,

I have a mini cooper D which is having a bout of DPF issues.. Car was bought @ 3yrs old from bmw and the history is as follows :

1. Very quickly noticed a weird Snare drum noise when engine is cold.. Originally bmw thought it was the fan belt replaced it, then tensioners, replaced them, then finally they figured out it was the cam belt.. Success.. This whole process took just under 1yr!!!

2. Two months later DPF light came on (regularly).. BMW performed a forced regeneration. I also noticed that when it came back from BMW the MPG had gone down considerably...

3. Two months later.. dpf light came on again (regularly). This was during a drive from cardiff to london on M4 motorway (doing 70mph etc), light would go out after 10 mins...would not come on again for that journey..

4. Couple of days/weeks later the light would come on again....and so on..

5. Local (trusted) garage said the issue was the DPF had ash/soot and needed to be cleaned not only regenerated. They took the dpf off (because its vertically mounted), poured some solution in it, left it overnight, rotated it, and repeat over a couple of days and then used compressed air or water to finish cleaning it, Finally a forced regen and the thing was as good as new..

Worked a treat..MPG back up to the mid 60's

6. one month later the dpf light is back..and came on during a motorway drive

My Weekly driving patterns are :

- 1-5 local <5mile journeys per week
- 1-2 >30Mile journeys per week on the motorways, typically 20-30mins

My garage is reluctant to put a new DPF as he thinks there is something else stopping the regeneration from completing.. and is going to be looking at it.. but meanwhilst i thought i check with you guys is there is any known issues with this model?? Something they might have missed?

It may be purely coincidence that the DPF issues started after BMW replaced the tensioners/cam belt. I did notice MPG drop by 5-10Mpg then but thought nothing of it....

Any ideas?

Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - skidpan

Normally cars with PSA engines have a Eolys tank, without it the DPF would block since they cannot regen without it. Has your run out? Normally requires a refill every 3 years.

My initial thoughts are.. wouldnt a sensor indicate the Eolys tank needs refilling? but then it might be a faulty sensor..

that said Id be properly p***ed off it thats the reason! :-) :-) but the car is just over 4 yrs old so it might be!

I'll mention it in passing to my local garage, although Im sure they would have checked (at least electronically)..

My initial thoughts are.. wouldnt a sensor indicate the Eolys tank needs refilling? but then it might be a faulty sensor..

On Fords with the same engine its a service item, every 3 years of 37,500 miles. No idea if there is a light.

poured some solution in it, left it overnight, rotated it, and repeat over a couple of days and then used compressed air or water to finish cleaning it

By doing that they are having a laugh. No solution will remove the soot and ash, its chemically bonded to the matrix inside the DPF and only a regen at 600+ degrees will burn it off. Many garages pretend to do this and rip off customers, just an urban myth. Once a DPF is blocked the only way to cure it is to replace it.

Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - RobJP
By doing that they are having a laugh. No solution will remove the soot and ash, its chemically bonded to the matrix inside the DPF and only a regen at 600+ degrees will burn it off. Many garages pretend to do this and rip off customers, just an urban myth. Once a DPF is blocked the only way to cure it is to replace it.

I believe some CDFs can be properly cleaned now - a high heat 'ceramex' process

Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - slkfanboy

I would take it to a dealer to check the Eolys fluid is being injected and you have some in the first place. You day to day use is not ideal for Mini D. Once your sure the system is working correcly a good run in 4th gear will warm up the DPF enough to clear it.

If you still have issue then I guess you DPF is bust, Mostly caused by incorrect servicing as these engine are common accoss a number manufactures without particual issue.

Going forward, get a petrol car based your daily use and save yourself some pain.

thanks all,

And yes we do plan to sell the mini and get a petrol car.. less hassle..

Oh forgot to add, Im not sure what cleaning method they used, I know its a chemical which they use, but thats it..

thanks

Edited by angelo on 07/10/2014 at 01:12

Oh forgot to add, Im not sure what cleaning method they used, I know its a chemical which they use, but thats it..

Its called "snake oil" widely available on e-bay and other outlets.

There are companies that clean HGV DPF's by heating them in an oven type arrangement to 600+ degress and blowing compressed air through them at the same time. Basically it does wnat a regen does without the diesel in a more controlled environment. Told it takes about 10 hours and is simply not economic for car DPF's., HGV DPF's are very very expensive.

Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - gordonbennet
There are companies that clean HGV DPF's by heating them in an oven type arrangement to 600+ degress and blowing compressed air through them at the same time.

And in some cases they simply turn the unit round, refit and allow it to blow itself clear again, sounds bonkers but i know someone who does this.

Purely out of interest the MAN (VW group) i drive has a DPF of some sort, blowed if i know exactly what its called and even less how it works, what i do know is that the retail price of a new exhaust was quoted at £11k for one of these on a lorry forum, the owner driver concerned managed to get it down to £8k, bargain!

And in some cases they simply turn the unit round, refit and allow it to blow itself clear again, sounds bonkers but i know someone who does this.

Just another load of nonsense. The soot particles are bonded to the DPF matix and need the 600 degree heat of a regeneration to be removed.

If it were that simple an old fashioned Italian tune up would sort a blocked DPF out but it won't.

Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - gordonbennet

Just another load of nonsense. The soot particles are bonded to the DPF matix and need the 600 degree heat of a regeneration to be removed.

This isn't a makers DPF as such, its the extra exhaust fitment to allow Euro 3 lorries into London, reversing the fitment does work, nonsense or not.

just to reignite the thread.. alas the DPF light came on again and the garage is looking at it again.. they claim the DPF was clean when it left and are now looking at the diesel additive, it isnt empty but may not be flowing properly... oh well..

I'll also look at the cermanx solution & or new dpf and then sell the car

Mini Cooper D (59 plate PSA Engine) - Mini Cooper D - DPF issues.. s - dan86

Edited by dan86 on 17/10/2014 at 07:27