Nissan Micra - 2011 Nissan Micra clutch failure - Glenn 42

I've owned an 11 plate Micra for seven months which has been excellent small car, until now, when the clutch has failed at 24,000 miles. Is this common as I have had a clutch fail at 54,000 miles, which is expected, but not 24,000?. It's not that I ride the clutch and also try to use it as little as possible in heavy traffic.

Also I am a little concerned about the clutch being repaired on an extended warranty. The dealer states that this is a grey area, but the Nissan Cared 4 warranty states that I should only pay for the friction materials. I am a bit miffed as I could be forking out a considerable bill on Monday when the clutch is replaced if the dealer decides it's normal wear and tear and I have to pay the full amount, and I think this is unfair as the clutch has failes prematurely.

Nissan Micra - 2011 Nissan Micra clutch failure - RobJP

At first glance, it sounds like you (or the previous owner) has ridden, or otherwise damaged the clutch.

It's entirely possible to wreck a clutch in a few hours, if you really put your mind to it. My father-in-law (who has now given up driving) went through 2 clutches in a year/8k miles on his last car.

That's why clutches are usually excluded from warranties. You've also had it for 7 months, and 6 months is the usual maximum for a fault to show and for you to be able to argue that it was 'present and developing' at the time you purchased the car.

Nissan Micra - 2011 Nissan Micra clutch failure - Peter.N.

I would agree with the above. Unless there is a known fault fault with these clutches its likely to have been abused by someone. Some years ago my mother burnt out her clutch whicl following a herd of sheep up hill by slipping it.

I have a Citroen C5 and a Peugeot 406 with 430,000 miles netween them and both have the original clutches.

Looks like I could be forking out a few hundred pounds then. It's odd the only car I ever had where the clutch went was a Hyundai Getz that was just outside of warranty, which I was prepared to accept as the car had done 54,000 miles, but others have nver had any problems with their clutches and I still think 24.000 miles, unless the car was heavily abused, is too short for a clutch to last. However, I have heard occasional reports of Micra clutches going early and there were a few cases of Almeras chewing their gearboxes within three years, although newer Nissans don't have the same problem.

I would agree, I have been driving for nearly 50 years and have never burn't a clutch out - even in my young and reckless days! I have had cars with nearly 300,000 miles on them still with original clutches but they have all been diesels and with their high low speed torque there is normally never any need to slip the clutch much to pull away. I do drive very gently but it seems that I am not the only one as most of the cars had quite a high mileage when I bought them.

Peter N, I had a Toyota Corolla with 140,000 miles on the clock that still had its original clutch and more recently a Seat Ibiza that had done 105,000 miles with the same clutch. I do expect these to go after five years, as happened with a Hyundai, but 24,000 miles is unacceptable considering I use the clutch very sparingly. Apparently for all Nissans are generally reliable cars, the clutch can be a weak area on them, but I am insisting the dealer honours the warranty as premature clutch failure is a manufacturing fault.

Nissan Micra - 2011 Nissan Micra clutch failure - Simon

Who owned the car before you and how did they drive it?

Who owned the car before you and how did they drive it?

It belonged to a pensioner and had 19,000 miles on the clock. Most people I've spoken to reckon 24,000 miles is too early for the clutch to go and until last week the car went fine. However, I have read reports that premature clutch failure has happened to a few Micras, maybe with production being shifted to India they're using cheap parts.

Nissan Micra - 2011 Nissan Micra clutch failure - madf

Some pensioners have no idea of throttle control at low speeds and slip the clutch at high revs.

Given that kind of t treatment, 20,000 miles from a clutch would be good going.

Nissan Micra - 2011 Nissan Micra clutch failure - galileo

Not just pensioners - the other day I saw a forty-ish woman do a three point turn at 4000 rpm, slipping the clutch all the way.

HJ does have a comment under What's Bad about the Micra about premature clutch failure. It's a shame as the engines go on forever on Micras, but there is some weakness with transmission parts. I do know of a few Almeras having the gearbox fail at 20,000 miles and I have read on a Qashqai forum of clutches going early on the last generation of Qashqais.

Anyway I am a regular customer at the Nissan dealer, buying four cars from them, and I've always used them for servicing and MOTs, finding them quite decent, so hopefully I'll get some kind of compromise from them tomorrow.

I've been a pensioner for 10 years+ but I don't burn clutches out. mind you my mother burnt two out on her Vauxhall Chevette when she was about my age.

Dealer has checked the clutch and the gearbox, and has found no leaks or mechanical damage, but will pay half the cost of the replacement as a goodwill gesture.