Insurance write off, query about keeping the car - pullgees

So my insurance company are going to give me the value of the car minus salvage and I keep the car as agreed.

The car is perfectly drivable and would pass an MOT and the damage is one dented door.. They say I have to repair the car within 30 days and show proof of repairs otherwise my insurance will become void.. Can they do this?

Secondly they want a copy of the existing MOT, a copy of my driving license, and the original V5c which they will return. Why ? I couldn't get a logical answer. Surely if I didn't have a driving license I couldn't get insurance in the first place. Seems like red tape to me satisfying some computer form they have.

With the V5c I'm told they have to enter cat:D on it. Is that there job to write in things on a government document? I thought DVLA did all that after being notified.

Insurance write off, query about keeping the car - martint123

When they payout for a writeoff they then own the vehicle. They then resuuply it to you as salvage. From memory, they will retain the MOT to ensure you have to get a new one. The V5 may well go back to DVLA to get a VIC marker on it if it is cat C - not sure about cat D.

They may well want to see your driving licence to ensure you have one and that you have no undeclared points on it - they cannot (yet?) see drivers records at DVLA.

Your insure can decline to insure you at any time - maybe time to change insurers.