KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - Firmbutfair

Has any body on HJ noticed the following anomalies:

The What Car Magazine has finally started to publish its own TRUE MPG 'combined average' mpg figures in its data listings and the True MPG test figures are now appearing for an increasing number of popular new cars - as published in its monthly magazine on sale in newsagents etc.

The TRUE MPG tests are carried out by an automotive consultancy and independent 'test house' called Emissions Analytics see: www.emissionsanalytics.com but there appear to be some anomalous results being publshed by What Car.

For example the Kia Rio 1.25 litre 5 door hatchback gave an average 'True Mpg' of around 46 mpg but the almost identical Hyundai i20 1.25 litre 5 door hatchback only managed to record an average of just 36 mpg!

What Car is claiming to offer help to the motorist in choosing which car to buy based on the results of these tests and yet they have repeatedly failed to respond to my regular submissions via their 'feedback - please respond' about many such obvious anomalies in their published test results for a wide range of cars.

I have recently sent a similar request to Emissions Analytics via email on 27 September and I am waiting for an answer, about what sort of 'variance' they would expect to see across the test results for say Five nominally similar superminis.

For those interested, a visit to their web site is very informative and suggests that a variation of 10 mpg would be a cause to carefully check for errors such as binding brakes on the poorer of the two nominally indentical cars being compared.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - thunderbird

These are just a magazines test results. They have no legal standing.

Like all quoted MPG figures they need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Just calm down.

These are just a magazines test results. They have no legal standing.

Like all quoted MPG figures they need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Just calm down.

Dear 'thunderbird' - thank you for your wise counsel. I do not personally give a fig for what data is published by What Car, as I am more than happy with the performance of our family hatchback, but as a professional electronics engineer, now semi-retired, only working for 3 days a week on average, I have too much time on my hands and so I get a bit worked up when I spot 'glaring data errors' in the media or motoring journals who do not seem to understand the basic laws of physics and do not seem to be at all concerned about publishing data, upon which important vehicle choices may be made, that are clearly anomalous!

If you follow the narrative in the What Car publications and visit their interactive TRUE MPG web page mpg comparison tool, then you will see that they have attempted to characterise every car tested with a carefully monitored 50 mile round trip in each car, under the guidance of an independent consultancy from which they claim to be able to estimate what sort of fuel economy you might expect when driving each of a number of vehicles, inside your chosen comparison group, all under your own favourite motoring conditions! Maybe the old fashioned 'Autocar' method 'brim to brim' measurements throughout a range of both performance and economy tests is still superior to this fairly short '50 mile' round trip test method employed by the what car consultants?

In any event the Honest John Real MPG data base is also available. It records real mpgs reported by hundreds of car owners and is organised on a model by model basis and this is always there for comparitive puposes.

Edited by Firmbutfair on 01/10/2014 at 17:03

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - madf

I read test results on mpg. The HJ ones are submitted by users: so utterly without any value - because the users can submit any old rubbish or actually give real life results dependent on journey time, length etc.

Not worth reading anything except the official figures and deducting 20 % or more .

Over the years What Car have published a load of total carp disguised as Motoring Journalism so why expect the "Real MPG" figs to be any better.

Take this example. Some years ago I was looking for a new motor. The Toyota Auris was on my wish list and that month What car just happened to have a group test including the Auris so I bought it. Test was of a petrol and I was considering the diesel but the remainder should have been relevant. Write up was OK but ultimately did not buy one.

Roll the clock forward a couple of years and the wife is considering a Honda CRV. By some strange coincidence What Car have a group test including that very car, bought the mag. As I sat reading it the published performance data looked very un SUV diesel like so to satisfy my own mind I got some old mags out to look for a comparison with similar cars. Could find none but when I opened the page with the Auris data on guess what, exactly the same figures as they had used in the SUV test.

So had they really tested the SUV's, had they really tested the Auris.

Not bought a copy of What Car since.

So do they really do the "Real MPG" tests or just make them up in the pub.

Who knows. Who's bothered.

Not worth reading anything except the official figures and deducting 20 % or more

Exactly what I do. Not been disapointed yet. Current cars are 14% and 17% down on the official combined and more or less bang on the Honest John figures.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - RobJP

The whatcar figures are a pile of dross. I've looked at them previously

As an example, they reckon for my sort of criving, a BMW 320d I'd get 51 mpg, but for a 118d hatchback a lot WORSE economy at 43.5 mpg. Same engine in both, detuned in the 1 series, but a lot lighter car.

As an aside, when we used to have an old-shape 118d, we averaged 53-55 mpg. Our current 325d estate (twin-turbo version of the 320d) averages 45 mpg.

According to HJ's owner-submitted figure, the 118d is 49 mpg, the 325d is 43 mpg (though some of those 325d figures are my own)

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - skidpan

As an aside, when we used to have an old-shape 118d, we averaged 53-55 mpg.

I had a 2008 118d for 5 years. In that time the computer said 52 mpg average. But when you calculated it using the fuel bought and the distance covered it was actually 48 mpg. On a couple of occations when we went on a long trip I zero'd the computer and never saw better than 56 mpg which was about 51 or 52 mpg at the very best.

Think you relied on the lieing computer too much (just like most people).

Edited by skidpan on 01/10/2014 at 17:58

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - RobJP

As an aside, when we used to have an old-shape 118d, we averaged 53-55 mpg.

I had a 2008 118d for 5 years. In that time the computer said 52 mpg average. But when you calculated it using the fuel bought and the distance covered it was actually 48 mpg. On a couple of occations when we went on a long trip I zero'd the computer and never saw better than 56 mpg which was about 51 or 52 mpg at the very best.

Think you relied on the lieing computer too much (just like most people).

Never. I'm a scientist by training, and like far to many of that ilk, I'm not someone who can turn it off when I take off my lab coat at the end of the working day.

Best ever saw was a calculated 62 mpg, on a 536 mile trip (. I knew how far it was by maps and routeplanners, I knew how far the car said it was (544 miles), and I filled up at the end of the journey (up in Scrabster, we were heading over to Orkney) and I'd filled up at the start of the journey too.

Think the wind must have been behind us a bit on the way up, because heading back south we only averaged about 58 mpg (calculated, again)

Apart from deducting 20% from the official stats, the other rule of thumb I use is:

Average mpg = official urban figures.

Real urban use = urban -20%...

Works pretty well - except for hybrids.

The whatcar figures are a pile of dross. I've looked at them previously

As an example, they reckon for my sort of criving, a BMW 320d I'd get 51 mpg, but for a 118d hatchback a lot WORSE economy at 43.5 mpg. Same engine in both, detuned in the 1 series, but a lot lighter car.

As an aside, when we used to have an old-shape 118d, we averaged 53-55 mpg. Our current 325d estate (twin-turbo version of the 320d) averages 45 mpg.

According to HJ's owner-submitted figure, the 118d is 49 mpg, the 325d is 43 mpg (though some of those 325d figures are my own)

Thanks RobJP - I too am a scientist and engineer by training and the thing that most upsets me is that What Car go to considerable expense to test each car using, what should, by all appearances, be a sound and reasonably accurate 'scientific method' involving a car full of test equipment, a technician as a passenger, driving over a carefully pre-planned, fixed, 'mixed driving' route of some 50 miles and fully supported by an independent test laboratory namely << www.emissionsanalytics.com >>. They are attempting to measure each car under a range of realistic normal driving conditions and by so doing capture enough essential elements and characteristics of each car to be able to generate a 'look up table of data' from which other driving styles and routes can be extrapolated (estimated).

The overall 'average fuel economy' published on their web site for each car (and now in their printed magazines), is compared side by side with the NEDC govt 'combined' figure and is of course as expected typically 15% to 25% lower than the NEDC figure.

Given the trouble they take to generate TRUE MPG figure for each car it is surprising that the results are so inconsistent e.g. the 'Kia Rio 1.25 Air 5 door Hatchback' should return much the same TRUE MPG average as the almost identical 'Hyundia i20, 1.25, 5 door Hatchback because they use the same Hyundai 1248 cc engine in the same state of tune etc and they both 'weigh in' the same, have similar tyres etc. Therefore to publish that one will return 46 mpg and the other only 36 mpg is clearly anomalous, but What Car does not seem to be concerned about this.

When a wide range of What Car TRUE MPG figures, for what are very similar cars from different manufcaturers, are compared, many enormous and unexpected variances appear which should make the publishers pause to say - what is going wrong !

In other words their test method should yield a result of say 46 mpg as the average figure for most 1.25 litre, normally aspirated, 1080 kg, 5 door hatchbacks with an uncertainty of say plus 2 mpg and minus 4 mpg, which is a 'spread' of 6 mpg around the 46 mpg figure and therefore any tests ath suggest a spread of as much as 10 mpg should be invetigated and not published until the anomaly has been resolved.

I have now browsed through the Emissiona Analytics web site and I think I may have discovered where the problems lie !

1). Statement of Problem:

Average TRUE MPG figures published by What Car Magazine show glaringly anomalous test result variances of typically 24% (i.e. obvious inconsistencies) between nominally identical types of car from the same manufacturers and even larger and less credible variances between 'similar sized and engined' cars from different manufacturers.. Despite this, What Car Magazine (Haymarket Publications) are inviting the car buying public to make choices based on their 'apparently TRUE' MPG test plan involving just one example of a popular car driven accorining to a fixed plan over the same fixed 50 mile mixed route. Each car is tested using sophisticated, portable, in-car test equipment according to a carefully designed driving plan devised by an independent test organisation called EmissionAnalytics. However data published on the EA-Analytics web site at www.emissionanalytics.com shows much smaller variances namely around 15 % across spread across 26 major european car manufacturers.

2). The EA-Analytics Team of staff include, an ex motor sport technician, a data analyst, a media and arts expert, several ex motoring journalists, a project manager, and some test and calibration technicians - but no professional scientists, professional engineers or statisticians.

My conclusion is that they genuinely do not realise that there is anything wrong with all the anomalous results they are so proudly presenting to the general public as the TRUE MPG figures for many of the cars they have so far tested using their much publicised scheme.

Arguably, the What Car test process is capable of giving a more realistic figure than the NEDC 'CO2 plus triple data point' figures published for each new car by law, but unlike the car manufacturers, they should not have any 'vested interest' in making sure the test results are as good as possible and so are quite happy, indeed quite pleased when they see such large differences between manufacturers, mistakenly believing that they have discovered some startling 'truths' that the public need to know about when choosing a new car!

Unfortunately, relying on a sample of just one car, and then accepting the resultant test figures - even if they are statistically and scientifically highly questionable - and publishing them for all to see - is just not good enough !

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - colinh

The fuelly website gives an average of about 180 owners usage with a variety of petrol Rios as 38 mpg

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - daveyK_UK

I have always found kia and hyundai to have the most exaggerated official fuel economy figures.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - Glenn 42

I have always found kia and hyundai to have the most exaggerated official fuel economy figures.

True, I had a Hyundai Getz 1.3 in the mid noughties and the dealer and What Car estimated the average mpg to be 45 mpg, acceptable in those days. I was lucky to get 40 mpg on a long journey and often struggled to get more than 36 mpg around town. Also the car, for all it was well equipped and decent to drive, developed a whole heap of faults such as rusting alloys( replaced under warranty), air conditioning failure( luckily replaced under warranty), and annoying trim defects. As soon as the five year warranry ended, the clutch died and then the ECU gave up. I thought never again.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - S40 Man

Maybe there was traffic for one test not present in the second test? One run in rain another in the dry? The official test negate that variance by doing the tests in the lab on a rolling road. Its a more controlled environment and test. The two similar cars will have similar results. This allows comparisons between models. The fact no one can often match figures just means that the test criteria are not harsh enough like most posters said deduct 20% as a good guide for real use.

I have always found kia and hyundai to have the most exaggerated official fuel economy figures

I havn't.

Our Ceed has an official figure of 60.8, its averaged almost 52 true mpg (calculated using corrected distance). That is about 15% less than the official figure.

In almost identcal use our BMW 118d averaged a true 48 mpg. The official figure was 62.8 mpg thus 24% less than the official figure.

Current Seat Leon, same use again. Official 54.5 mpg, true mpg 45. 18% less than the official.

Ford Focus TDCi, 57.5 official, 44 mpg true. 23% less than the official figure.

So out of our last 4 cars the Kia is closest.

But Kia and Hyundai don't claim or exagerate any figures, they only quote the official ones like all manufacturers.

Having worked with Hyundai UK and owned a good number of Hyundai and Kia cars, my experience tells me 35% less is nearer the truth on some models.

Hyundais biggest complaint from customers was always why the mpg was no where near the official figures.

Renault are the experts at playing the NCAP tests, Hyundai/Kia are the experts at playing the MPG tests.

tinyurl.com/oz4dtcm

After receiving complaints from Hyundai owners across the country, in November, 2011 Consumer Watchdog challenged the US Environmental Protection Agency to audit Hyundai over the "40 Miles Per Gallon" MPG claims on the window sticker of its Elantra. On November 2, 2012, the EPA confirmed Consumer Watchdog's allegations, announcing that Hyundai and KIA would be required to change the false MPG window sticker claims on many of their vehicles, including Elantra.

tinyurl.com/oz4dtcm

After receiving complaints from Hyundai owners across the country, in November, 2011 Consumer Watchdog challenged the US Environmental Protection Agency to audit Hyundai over the "40 Miles Per Gallon" MPG claims on the window sticker of its Elantra. On November 2, 2012, the EPA confirmed Consumer Watchdog's allegations, announcing that Hyundai and KIA would be required to change the false MPG window sticker claims on many of their vehicles, including Elantra.

Totally irrelevant to the EU since US emmision/mpg figures are not regulated by a strict proceedure as there are over here.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - xtrailman

I find whatcar real mpg figures to be very accurate for the last three cars i've owned.Two xtrails and a Mazda CX-5.

The thing with Korean cars is some cars according to owners are returning no where near other identical cars owned by others. Which is probably down to engineering tolerances, no two engines are the same.

So i'm of the opinion that whatcar tested one of those cars that fell short. However it's not realistic for WC to test two of the same model.

HJ true mpg isnt worth bothering with, you can enter false figures at will, so the results are inaccurate.

Skidpan, Kia are not perfect far from it, but I would say they are better than most of the European manufacturers when it comes to reliability.

Skidpan, Kia are not perfect far from it, but I would say they are better than most of the European manufacturers when it comes to reliability.

Don't understand this. Never said Kia were perfect. Just said they were better than any other of my recent cars with regards to Official v's real mpg. As for reliabilty no problems with the Kia but no problems with Ford or BMW in similar mileages/times.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - Bolt

I dont see what the fuss is about, we all know these figures are wrong anyway,

where really the manufacturers should give real world economy figures they are not going to for sales reasons,

Another point is a lot of drivers will not drive for economy,they just want to get from A to B asap and then moan the motor has poor economy...

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - alan1302

where really the manufacturers should give real world economy figures they are not going to for sales reasons,

Another point is a lot of drivers will not drive for economy,they just want to get from A to B asap and then moan the motor has poor economy...

The manufactuers give the figures they are allowed to give.

If the EU changed the test to be more realistic the manufactueres would have to use those.

KIA Rio - What Car TRUE MPG Figures - Need Investigation - galileo

Very true, I bought a car from a mate some years back, he used to get 25mpg, I got almost 40 mpg on the same journeys. Over a 50 mile route, difference in travel time would be about 10 minutes - his passengers aged a bit faster than mine though!