volvo s40 2.0d sport 06plate - cold start problems after changed glow plugs' - billyntanya12

My volvo s40 2.0 d sport' has no troubles starting in good weather but as soon as it gets cold i find it very hard to start:( ive had the glow plugs changed' sometimes it can take up to a half hour:( i got it put into volvo who charged me £1000 for a new starter ang ignition switch and they told me that for a further £700 something to do with the column' but it still might not be fixed im at my wits end:( i dont know whether trying a relay but theres no fault code for this but im hoping someone out there could please help i would be very gratefull regards

volvo s40 2.0d sport 06plate - cold start problems after changed glow plugs' - Fernando P

In cold weather, the normal procedure for diesel engines is that you need to wait for the glow plugs to heat up and the indicator "light " go out before you try to start the engine. Trying to start the engine without waiting for this to happen can take more attempts. Are you doing this I wonder? If so, there could be other reasons for non starting to consider.

volvo s40 2.0d sport 06plate - cold start problems after changed glow plugs' - elekie&a/c doctor

As this is a common rail diesel engine,the glow plugs are not needed for cold start unless the ambient temperature is sub zero.I would get the injectors tested.

volvo s40 2.0d sport 06plate - cold start problems after changed glow plugs' - Railroad.
The Doc is correct. Common rails are direct injection. The primary purpose of the glow plugs is to improve running and emissions during warm up. They do not switch on for preheating unless the ambient air temperature is typically below 2 degrees. Indirect injection engines do need glow plugs for cold starting.