Ford Fiesta Flight - Sunroof Woes - dodo

My daughter's Fiesta Flight managed to shed its glass sunroof on the way to the MOT station - now I cannot find a replacement. The car, an immaculate 1.2 Flight of 2001 vintage is a joy to drive and in great condition. It went through the MOT without problem but the sunroof glass seems to be smaller than usual. I went to several breakers and te sunroofs from Mk3 Fiestas are too big. Methinks now someone fitted a non genuine one but it also conforms to the size of an earlier Ford sunroof Type D. The Fiesta is a now a fair weather car but winter is coming ... any ideas of where I could find the right glass?

Edited by dodo on 28/09/2014 at 11:51

Ford Fiesta Flight - Sunroof Woes - gordonbennet

For the time being maybe get a sheet of perspex, cut to size, and silicon it in place, with some similarly coloured gaffa tape around the outside to fully seal it.

I'd make a template and visit a couple of scrap yards in person, chances are it is an aftermarket and you could find the same glass on any car of that era.

Excellent idea and will get some perspex tomorrow. Also considering just taking it to the local windscreen shop who also fabricate for machinery. Ask them to remove what's left of the sunroof, cut some dark perspex to size then make a custom rubber seal for it. - non opening but water tight.

Ford Fiesta Flight - Sunroof Woes - focussed

Perspex is not a safe material to glaze a vehicle with-if it shatters it goes into long sharp shards with sharp edges, It was banned for the purposes of fabricating machine guards back in the seventies. Use polycarbonate sheet such as Lexan instead.

Wow thanks for this - don't want a shard of plastic embedded in her skull. Will check out Lexan then