Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - Diamond dawg

A friend has recently had his Jaguar XF 3.0d serviced and the next day he got it back it started making a strange noise, described by him like "the tapet noise of an old car".

The AA picked up the car and took it back to the Jaguar garage in question, who then spent 4 days diagnosing it and replacing injectors, only to then tell him "the big end has gone" and he needs a new engine at a cost of £10k.

As the car was working perfectly before it went in, is on 4 years old (60 reg) and he himself has only had the car 2 years doing regular but not huge mileage he feels that this is unacceptable, and that something they have done, or not done, when servicing the car has led to this problem.

Has anyone else come across this or can recommend a suitable course of action?

Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - Cyd

You don't say how many miles this car has done nor how often it's been serviced, nor where serviced.
IF it's been serviced to the "book" by Jag dealers, you might get some goodwill as it isn't too far out of its warranty.

The only option a dealer can offer is a brand new engine. However, if you go to an independent garage they should be able to offer either a rebuild of the original motor or an exchange remanufactured unit, both of which would be much better value options. this could well be cheaper than a new engine even if Jag do contribute.

Part of the problem with any secondhand car is that you cannot know how it has been treated by any previous owner(s). And these days you cannot implicitly trust service stamps. For this reason whenever I buy a car I give it a thorough service, no matter what the records say. And then treat the car to regular oil changes (something hotly debated on here ad infinitum).

i can't help wondering why the injectors were changed if it's a big end failure???
If I were your friend I'd pay for their diagnosis but not the injectors (demand the old ones back) and recover the car (unless Jag are willing to help you out).

ATEOTD these things happen - it's the way the cookie crumbles!

Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - Diamond dawg

34,000 miles, serviced at the main dealer as stated and also bought from the same garage. The car is driven very steadily, no abuse, and ran smoothly as I have borrowed the car before.

It started having problems without hours of coming out of the garage, a little too coincidental in my books.

The car is still in the garage. They changed the injectors as they thought that's where the noise was coming from, but the sales manager has deduced (although admitting they haven't stripped it down fully yet) that the crankshaft bearing has failed/broken.

An independant has offered another engine for £2400 plus fitting at £1500, although Jaguar UK Customer Services are looking into this, and looking into the garage as it was only just out of a routine service.

Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - gordonbennet

I can scarcely believe half the stuff i read these days, and i hope Jaguar are looking into the garage.

Is this the end result of guess the problem and chuck new parts at it game that seems to be the modern take on expert diagnosis.

Is the sales manager called Clark Kent by any chance, using his X ray vision whilst sporting his Y fronts on the outside whilst acting the part, or is he a she, and known colloquially as Mystic Meg, diagnosing all from a cracked crystal ball.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/09/2014 at 19:36

Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - John F

Google 'jaguar XF problems', or google 'truedelta' reliability, compare jaguar with audi, and weep.

[I have just bought an 8yr old A8 and will be very unlucky if I have expensive bills - and I have no intention of changing the oil if I haven't done 10,000m in 365 days]

Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - injection doc

its possible there is an anti drain back valve in the base of the catridge oil filter housing and this has been disturbed and has stuck open, the engine then losses oil pressure but not normally to the extent that the oil light comes on ! hence engine failure some miles later.

Replacing catridge filters these day means you have to take extreme care and cleanliness when changing over

Jaguar XF - Jaguar XF 3.0d engine failure - csgmart

Its more likely DPF regeneration problems have diluted the engine oil.

Interesting comment - if this is the case it's highly unusual - the Jag engine has a good reputation and if properly serviced can last for a long time and over many thousands of miles.