ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - Firmbutfair

Would you like your next car to be greener, more fuel efficient and less costly to run, if so how much extra would you be prepared to pay for an optional extra that promised to offer you a 'real world' increase of say 4.5 to 5 mpg (an increase of approx 1 mile per litre) in your week to week fuel economy? *I.E. List price of the basic car is £10,000, or say £10,100 for the enhanced real world economy version.

For the purposes of your 'cost benefit analysis please assume:

* the cost of unleaded petrol as £1.30 per litre

* your typical annual mileage is 12,000 miles

* the effect of the improvement does not reduce the VED CO2 band

So as an example, for a typical super-mini offering a real world 'basic trim' fuel economy of 10 miles per litre as reported in real world tests, such as True MPG (What Car) or as reported by many owners/readers in the Real MPG (Honest John) database, the annual fuel cost would be £1560 at 10 mpl (45.5 mpg) or £142 less if the average mpl was sustained at 11 miles per litre (49.5 mpg). Thus paying an extra £100 for the enhanced model would 'pay back' within the first year.

Edited by Firmbutfair on 25/09/2014 at 11:58

Sorry - my example equivalent mpg figures should of course read as follows:

10 miles per litre = 45.40 mpg

11 miles per litre = 49.94 mpg

The 'improvement' is then 4.54 mpg (or 1 mpl) as expected.

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - brum

A few years ago, I invented a system that allowed my car to run on seawater, however it didn't catch on as the car only did 7 mpg.....;)

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - RobJP

The problem is that the returns aren't that great, even if the costs aren't that bad. Plus, you're up against all the 'chip' manufacturers, who say that you MIGHT get better fuel economy, or better acceleration, etc. But even they won't make any promises

Let's take me as an example. I drive a 2013 BMW 325d estate. I do about 15k a year, at roughly 45 mpg. The same as your example. That currently costs me about £2000 in fuel a year, about 50% of which is company mileage.

The savings by going from 10 mpl to 11 mpl would be about £160 a year. Take out the company paid-for mileage, and it's about £80 a year that I am personally saving. I change my car roughly every 2.5 to 3 years, so if the invention costs more than £200, then it's not going to be worth it - unless it's going to add to the value of the car at the end of it. To do that, it's got to get widespread acceptance (i.e. large numbers of people using it), and widespread independent testing.

In addition, you've got to supply to me that it isn't going to pose any risk to my warranty for me to even consider it. I'm assuming it's notifiable to my insurance company (after all, it is a modification, and they state ALL modifications must be notified), so there may be an additional expense there too.

Finally, it's going to come up to MOT sooner or later. Will the modification make any difference ? Can you guarantee that it won't make a difference ?

Edited by RobJP on 25/09/2014 at 12:56

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - craig-pd130

Does this add-on reduce performance or affect driveability in any way?

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - oldroverboy.

If we are talking about a basic car, say a 1.2 litre small hatch at £10000 then the eco version with stop start mostly costs a lot more with not much real benefit except in co2 emissions which is less road fund/ved.

When I have looked for my cars the extra to pay is often quite a lot!

look at the chevrolet aveo 1.2 when it came out and the same car with start stop was an awful lot more.

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - Graham567

Your not still pedalling your snake oil are you firmbutfair?

Either tell us your great idea or go away.

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - Bolt

If your idea is that good, why have you not taken it to a manufacturer,if it works I suspect one of them would snap it up.

Judging by the pace of battery technology lately, I don`t think it will be long before it gains more traction

If your idea is that good, why have you not taken it to a manufacturer,if it works I suspect one of them would snap it up.

Judging by the pace of battery technology lately, I don`t think it will be long before it gains more traction

Many thanks for your response 'bolt' - I am indeed in the process of 'floating' my idea in principle with a major Automotive Company - however I stronlgly suspect that by the time they have re-engineered so that it caoul be applied to any or all of their cars, the manufacturing cost would make the modest savings look far less attracive, moving the 'break-even' point out to well beyond two years of average motoring.

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - Andrew-T

Your not still pedalling your snake oil are you firmbutfair?

Pedalling? Well, you may be right, perhaps a bike is the place to try it out ....

ANY - How much on list price for an extra real 5mpg? - Gibbo_Wirral

Considering how easy it is to get more MPG for free by driving smoother, keeping a regular check on tyre pressures and not carrying around extra weight, I can't imagine anyone would pay anything for the OP's system.

Some months I get 540 miles out of a full tank, some nearer 570. Unless you're an avid fuel effiency nut who monitors their fuel usage I can't see anyone really caring.

Considering how easy it is to get more MPG for free by driving smoother, keeping a regular check on tyre pressures and not carrying around extra weight, I can't imagine anyone would pay anything for the OP's system.

Some months I get 540 miles out of a full tank, some nearer 570. Unless you're an avid fuel effiency nut who monitors their fuel usage I can't see anyone really caring.

Thanks, Gibbo_Wirral, I agree with your advice, I think the question is more to do with what induces people to buy one car and not another. They like to get something tangible and 'sexy' to show their friends and family in return for all the extra money that the fuel efficient models offer.

My perception is that customers want the best of both worlds, such as (allegedly) offered by the growing adoption of more efficient, turbo charged, 3 cylinder petrol engines, (as developed by MAHLE and now adopted by Ford - Ecoboost, Renault - TCe, Nissan - DIG, and Peugeot/Citroen) to name but a few. These 3 cylinder engines all give the driver a daily 'choice' between better pulling power with better acceleration and hill climbing etc. OR better fuel economy, if driven 'gently and at lower rpm'. The much higher engine torque offerd by the turbo enables much higher gearing, i.e. more mph per 1000 rpm in all gears. With this they get something really good for their money, whereas my invention does not offer the same 'cachet' or marketability !