FIAT 500 - need advice - Wulfgirl72

8mths ago my sister bought her first car.

Fiat 500 2012 1.2 8V LOUNGE Dualogic auto5.

Few weeks back it cut out while driving, started up fine. Later that day her stereo few times cut out. That evening she mentioned going back to dealers and was parked up for night. Few hours later an explosion was heard and the car was alight.

Police & fire brigade were called. Fire brigade said they would do their report at a cost.Insurance company received the report which states Electrical fault caused fire.

Fiat will not accept this and said fire brigade don't know what their doing and said it was arson, even though police have accepted the report.

Where do we go from here?

If way posting photos would, car inside completely melted, complete right off.

My sister saved long time for her at time dream car but now left her traumatized by it all.

Edited by Wulfgirl72 on 21/09/2014 at 01:26

FIAT 500 - need advice - alan1302

If there is a report from the fire brigade and the police have confimed it I can't see what the problem could be? What has the insurance compnay said?

If there is a report from the fire brigade and the police have confimed it I can't see what the problem could be? What has the insurance compnay said?

Car cost £9300 with £3000 on finance. Insurance have offered £5000 and premium will be double? After pay back finance left with £3000???

Edited by Wulfgirl72 on 21/09/2014 at 02:23

Plus gap in Insurance £800 = £1600. From saving up £6300.00 + her insurance of £1600.00 + Are there any faults with vehicle? How can we find out if electrical problems with smoke or fire have happened with other owners?

Edited by Wulfgirl72 on 21/09/2014 at 02:49

FIAT 500 - need advice - Simon

I doubt you will get anywhere trying to hold Fiat liable for the fire.

If the insurance has offered £5000, but she paid £9300 for the car, what is the actual current market value for that car, pre-fire of course?

FIAT 500 - need advice - RobJP

First step : have a look on Autotrader, etc for other similar cars, with similar mileages, and see what they are up for sale at.

When you find those prices, take (roughly) 10% off them - most sellers will allow for giving a bit of a discount. If the prices still come out a lot higher than what the insurance is offering, then you have good grounds for refusing to accept their offer, and saying its worth more, and here's the evidence. At that point, they'll probably up their offer.

If they still refuse, then she needs to have a good look through the terms and conditions. There WILL be a procedure to go through for a formal appeal against their decision, so she'll need to go through that. Won't take long, and when she informs them that she's going to do that, then they might just cave in.

Lastly, as others have said, forget going after Fiat for this. If there was a major fire issue with them, then it would be on here, there would be lots of 'noise' on the fiat forums about it. It's just sheer bad luck, but that's why you have insurance.

Many thanks, yes she has and has informed insurance and they have decided to offer £8500

Just lucky nobody was in car at the time.